Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forced to drive thru 2ft of water on flooded hwy after heavy rain @ slow speed during rush-hour. Intake and all major engine components above top of oil pan stayed dry. 5 minutes later upon exiting hwy:
1) engine hiccupped few times @ stop light but stayed running (put in neutral and revved a few times)
2) check engine light came on and remained on
3) once in driveway, I shut it off, waited 30 sec, then it didn't want to start - eventually ignited after 3 turnover attempts (this only happened once - cranked w/ no issues from then on)
4) boost gauge (see list of mods below) seems like it reads a little low until I hit the gas hard, but don't notice any power loss

W/ regard to #2 above, owner’s manual states that it’s one of 3 things:
1) engine issue
2) emissions issue
3) transmission control system issue

ALL normal maintenance & valve adjustments meticulously adhered to (bumper to bumper, throughout powertrain & axles) by dealership diesel experts w/ similarly-modified trucks & by Cummins Atlantic truck shop. Went above and beyond what is normally required. Every 30-gallon tank of diesel receives 1 bottle of Power Service Cetane booster (treats up to 100 gallons).

Truck & upgrades (all professionally installed, mapped, & tuned): ‘99 2500 4x4 (180k + miles), K&N intake, TST PowerMax II computer module, Marine racing injectors, stock turbo, Banks wastegate, Banks turbo downpipe & full Monster exhaust, ATS tranny upgrades, two DiPricol gauges (manifold pressure & EGT's), Holley Red fuel pump, 4” susp lift w/ Bilstein shocks, 35” tires.

ANY ADVICE, HELP, SUGGESTIONS???

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
pull the codes...cycle your key on-off-on-off-on-off-on (3 cycles) and leave it on the 3rd cycle and your mileage display will show you any basic engine trouble codes that it has in the computer. if it posts a p1693, that means theres more codes in there that you will need an OBDII scan tool to pull and clear.
list the other codes for us and we'll tell you what they mean and help you figure it out...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gents. Took advice. Code tripped was crank sensor on bottom of engine block. Apparently, got wet. Dried off 30 min ago enough to cause chk engine light to go out. Seems to be running like a bull. Would you suggest replacing the crank sensor now OR wait to see if the chk engine light comes back on again? Jigabop - it's obvious you've been in similar crap. Do either of you have a suggested fix to this problem in the future? Is there a better place to mount the crank sensor?

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
more lift and bigger tires....LOL honestly i've never had that problem...I had other...non engine problems with mud boggin lol :doh: cost me 2 grand in front end parts....(u-joints, hub assembly's, ball joints, calipers and rotors....ugh) as for the sensor if you get it wet again, take it off, hit it with some contact cleaner and stick it back in..about the best you can do unless you wanna glob rtv all over it lol. maybe spray wd40 on the outside of it...its an oil so it will repel water for a little while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Outstanding. Thanks for the advice. Willdo.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Go to autozone and buy a littly 99 cent pack of light bulb grease. The kind you put on the socket to keep water and corrosion out. Put it in the contacts liberally and slap it together. Should do a good job of keeping the water out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Contact cleaner, WD-40, light bulb grease. On it, thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
minus the wd-40 if your going to light bulb grease it. the wd-40 might not let the grease stick as well

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to go. Thanks for the gouge. I'll do either or, rather than both. Probably go w/ the contact cleaner, then light bulb grease.

·
Registered
264 Posts
sounds like your best bet to me with the grease and cleaner!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The location of that crank-case sensor is a piss-poor design (not that this Cummins was meant to ford water-ways). Got a bigger lift a few yrs ago; no issues since then. Now, it can @ least handle 4ft of water before getting wet & failing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts