Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 3500 high output. is anyone running a new magnaflow hushpower 4" muffler? I got a MBRP system, it drones vary badly inside cab, above 1800 RPM and pulling hills. I want one that is quiet inside and out. Corsa says thet have one. anyone using it?:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the magnasuck 4" muffler, it is 36 inches long, by far the worst muffler i have ever bought!!! Any speed over 68mph and i gotta turn the radio up and yell to talk to anyone in the cab. I have 4" pipe from turbo back.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Quiet low restriction muffler.

I'm very pleased with my Shuttleworth muffler. Paul [email protected] installed it for me and drone is minimal(I have a reg.cab so muffler is behind me). Rowing through the gears produces minimal sound of any kind but it does now sound like a diesel. In contrast, my buddy's 5" SS Magnaflow turboback is awful. It drones at all speeds and is loud idling outside of the vehicle. He wishes he'd stuck with the stock exhaust and gone with a low restriction muffler. The '05 is a reg.cab also. Shuttleworth stock # is:D13-4040.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the corsa from the engine back. great system, no noise in cab. the cat-delete pipe did not fit correctly --hits frame. If not deleting cat should work great even if you just buy the muffler. It's heavy duty all stainless. Suggest you call corsa and see if it will work with your pipes if you just want muffler. They use special clamps, I would question how well it would go together without entire corsa cat back set up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i had the same problem with a silverline 4", instead of buyin a new system i cut the pipe off just past the bend over the rear axle and it stopped the drone. The drone in some of these systems is caused by the length of pipe "tuning" the sound to the resonate frequency of the the truck and in turn blowing out our ear drums. Try it, you have nothing to lose except the drone!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I wonder how a big donaldson would work? You should have plenty of room to shoehorn a 4ft + muffler in there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
anybody know of a quite muffler??????
Contact Jbarker on here at Holland Court Diesel. I bought a Diamond(something) exhaust kit that came with a 4" straight through, he might have just the muffler for sale.

Can't really tell the difference between that and stock exhaust unless you really get on it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
anybody know of a quite muffler??????
I've got a 51" Donaldson muffler. Part #M090544. It has a coned baffle inside that I opened up a little bit for a little better flow. You can get them at any big-rig parts store. No drone at all.

Randy

·
Registered
351 Posts
Does getting rid of the cat help get rid of drone

·
Registered
351 Posts
I put the banks on because i was told it was the quietest of the bunch and at about 2 grand its fairly loud. So now im kind of debating on what to do also

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cat removal

Has anyone got any info on removing the cat converter? I remember way back, we'd pull the plug on em and drain out the beads, what do we do now? Dont get me in trouble!

·
Registered
1 Posts
R Anderson65, I agree. Put the banks cat back system on and it has a bad drone around 2K. Looking into the hushpower by flowmaster. Anyone have the hushpower w no cat on? Is it quiet in the cab?

·
Registered
185 Posts

just get rid of the muffler all together and get a resonator from wally at FTE, I have 5'' straight with just a resonator , no drone whatso ever

·
Registered
785 Posts
My MBRP 4" had a drone at 70-75 mph when I first put it on. After driving a few thousand miles with the Juice turned up, it added enough soot to the exhaust to kill off the drone.
:flag:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts