Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

This past week I installed the kit listed in the title. The drone is unbearable. I can’t even hear myself think @ 70 mph and/or 2200 rpm. It gets so bad on little hills that it feels like it’s going to rattle the dash apart. Will it help if I install the muffler that came w/ the kit? Or will that only make it quieter on the outside of the cab? I can re-install the cat with a few modifications; will that help?

I’ve picked up almost 2 mpg since I installed this exhaust but I’m willing to sacrifice it to get the drone down. I had 4” straight pipe – turbo back in my 7.3 and it wasn’t even in the same galaxy as this exhaust when it came to drone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Thx

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,566 Posts
i would bet putting the cat back on would get rid of some of it.
putting the muff on would prolly help a little more.

im running 4" straight pipe w/cat and when im pulling a load it does drone some.

·
Registered
80 Posts
did you ave the resonator that is over the rear axle? took mine off and drove for about 20 miles and had to put it back on, it's just loud now, w/ no drone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you ave the resonator that is over the rear axle? took mine off and drove for about 20 miles and had to put it back on, it's just loud now, w/ no drone.
There was no resonator on it; only a cat and muffler. I've heard only the mega-cabs have resonators?

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
i agree, ken put that muffler back in there it should help quiet a bit, right now the air has too much room to resonate and needs some sort of restriction.
glad it help your fuel mileage though.:thumbsup

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I just put the MBRP 5" muffler on my truck so I could get a excesive noise ticket sighed off. Im going to leave it on it sounds great. Not to loud not to queit.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i have 5" turbo back to the axle then it Y's into 4" duals and mine is not loud in the cab at all. and this setup is quieter in the cab than my factory setup with straight and hollowed out cat. from what i have expereniced in the past is the muffler causes more noise in the cab.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you install the MBRP system as they engineered it (with the muffler) then there won't be any drone. And I doubt you will lose any mpg either. Sounds great to boot. :thumbsup

·
Registered
287 Posts
WHAT?? DRONE??
WHAT??
YOU WANNA BE ALONE??
YOUR GIRL MOANS??
WHAT??
SPEAK UP SON, CAN'T HEAR YA??
OH YEAH, DRONE...

:rof:rof

Mine's got a drone as well, feels like my teeth are gonna fall out sometimes, or maybe that's the Cope...

Anyway, I have a neighbor who is way too much fun to piss off, so I'm gonna hold out for a bit!!:lol3:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
mine has some around 2,000 but it goes away and it dont bother me much

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
At 70 or 80, I can hear my turbo over the 5" MBRP........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts