Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if there is any down side to driving in the tow-haul mode? I like the feel of the more positive shifting.

·
Registered
298 Posts
There might be a little more fuel used in TH mode. That's about it. I drive in TH mode most the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good deal. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There might be a little more fuel used in TH mode. That's about it. I drive in TH mode most the time.
Many people on here have said just the opposite, stating that driving in Tow/Haul mode gives them better fuel economy around town due to it locking up the torque convertor at lower speeds and keeping it locked up. I use it occasionally driving around town, but it makes my ATS 48RE shift something fierce (nothing bad, just much more firm than when not in Tow/Haul) unless you feather the throttle at the shift points. I personally gained right at 1 mpg in driving around town using it.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but all tow/haul mod does is hold the gears a little longer and allow for more RPMs to assist in pulling loads and engine breaking.

My truck does not change the lock up speeds at all in tow/haul

·
Banned
227 Posts
Tow haul makes my truck violently shift into OD at 55mph unless I'm hard on it. Violent enough that it barks the turbo. I hate using it when I'm not pulling it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but all tow/haul mod does is hold the gears a little longer and allow for more RPMs to assist in pulling loads and engine breaking.

My truck does not change the lock up speeds at all in tow/haul
LOL in one sentence you say it holds gears longer then you contridict yourself and say it doesn't change lock up speeds....which is it?:stirpot:

It does hold gears longer, shifts harsher and engages the lock up TQ earlier. I like it except for 40-50mph it keeps the engine reving too long for good fuel economy when empty. There are lots of 45mph roads here, so I either have to drive over 50 or keep TH off between 40-50 mph.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
LOL in one sentence you say it holds gears longer then you contridict yourself and say it doesn't change lock up speeds....which is it?:stirpot:

It does hold gears longer, shifts harsher and engages the lock up TQ earlier. I like it except for 40-50mph it keeps the engine reving too long for good fuel economy when empty. There are lots of 45mph roads here, so I either have to drive over 50 or keep TH off between 40-50 mph.
My truck still locks at 55mph. Up to that point its will hold gears a little longer.

·
Registered
443 Posts

Yeah most of the time I just switch mine into "OD Off" and drive around the 40-45 mph speed limit roads with it in 3rd gear and the torque convertor locked up. Plus if there are any passengers in the truck with me it kind of makes them wonder if something's wrong with my truck when it slams into OD using Tow/Haul haha

And like mentioned before, the final shift into OD when using Tow/Haul can be quite "violent" compared to not using Tow/Haul since it makes the shift into 4th with the convertor locked vs. shifting and then locking when not using Tow/Haul

·
Registered
441 Posts
I always Drive in TH Mode now. I use the Fuelly App and it shows I get a solid 1-2 MPG better when using TH Mode all the time...and that's with around town driving.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
No problem in TH for regular driving. Been doing it for the last few years as a matter of routine.

lol My problem here too. I just speed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for not responding sooner, looks like I will start a new driving habit. I appreciate all the responses.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Run mine in TH a lot. Drive to work involves up and down hills and a lot of turns at about 35 mph. 17 miles of country road. TH mode locks converter faster and keeps the trans temp down.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I drive in T/H all the time even on the freeway doing 65+. I get better mpg. mine just seems to shift fine.
I don't stomp on it !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts