Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just got my first diesel, it's a new RAM cummins and I"m reading all of the material in the book about DPF regeneration cycles, etc.

My question is: I drive about 20 miles/20 minutes one way to work. I'm a little freaked out by the fact that at any time the screen may tell me it's regenerating and I have to drive it 45 more minutes to finish that! That seems a little odd, but should only be expecting that in rare cases or is it going to do that all the time....any experiences others with 13+ rams?

Thanks, JP

· Registered
959 Posts
If your on the highway, no worries! I have a little over 14,000 miles on the clock now and have yet to see that message. Alot of mixed driving in city and on highway. Enjoy the truck!

· Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,796 Posts
I wouldn't stress out too much about it.......my commute is about 14 miles, about twenty minutes, about half of it freeway. It has only been about six months and 4,000 miles, and I'm sure it has had a regen or two but I couldn't tell you when and where it did it. Relax, enjoy the ride.........:party018:

Sam

· Registered
640 Posts
Your commute is about the same as mine distance wise. However, I'm 60/40 City/Highway (So I take 35 minutes to an hour to drive 1-way depending on traffic and light timing). I have yet to see a DPF cleaning notice. I have around 18k miles on my truck.

· Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome guys, thanks. It is highway for the commuting part, I'm not going to worry with it then! It is different from gassers for sure though, but I like it so far!!! Now I need a boat... or RV... or _____ .
:party018:

· Registered
214 Posts
hi sax

what you are describing is an "active regen" and it's no big deal, in fact you can shut the truck off, drive one mile, do nothing special, don't worry.

when you are able to, you will want to get a good 15-20 minute "highway" speed drive in at which point you will see the DPF count down from 90% full to "done". It's no big deal and your driving habits will largely dictate how often you see that message.

· Registered
529 Posts
Whoa...Where are the guys who say if you're not towing heavy at all times you'll have problems?

As long as the 20 minute drive gets it up to operating temperature you won't have any problems. My drive is similar distance and time. I've only smelt diesel fumes a few times, thats when you can tell its doing regen.

I don't drive much. 7800 miles since August 2013. 1200 of that was home after purchase. DEF tank is just crossing 1/2 after filling it end of September 2013. I haven't had any issues since all the software has been updated and fuel heater turned on. knock on wood.

· Registered
14,690 Posts
Whoa...Where are the guys who say if you're not towing heavy at all times you'll have problems?

As long as the 20 minute drive gets it up to operating temperature you won't have any problems. My drive is similar distance and time. I've only smelt diesel fumes a few times, thats when you can tell its doing regen.
Okay, here goes...

If you're not towing heavy at all times you'll have problems...:stirpot:

The deal is that there are two types of regeneration, active and passive. Active is when you get the message and the regen process involves the injection of extra fuel into the exhaust and it burns the excess soot out of the Diesel Particulate Filter. Passive regen occurs when there is sufficient load to cause the exhaust temps to be high enough in the DPF to do the soot burn off without the extra fuel. So, there is more passive regeneration when the truck is loaded and going down the highway, when you only run short trips with little load on the truck then you get more active regen cycles.

· Registered
129 Posts
My trucks a daily driver, it serves the same purpose as a Prius for me but I would rather drive a lifted cummins. Never tow heavy, never worry about the regens, and never have gotten any messages. Early on I got a few cel but they went away as I got it updated. Truck has 12000 miles and is a year old and have no problems at all, cheers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
15,315 Posts
Okay, here goes...

The deal is that there are two types of regeneration, active and passive. Active is when you get the message and the regen process involves the injection of extra fuel into the exhaust and it burns the excess soot out of the Diesel Particulate Filter. Passive regen occurs when there is sufficient load to cause the exhaust temps to be high enough in the DPF to do the soot burn off without the extra fuel. So, there is more passive regeneration when the truck is loaded and going down the highway, when you only run short trips with little load on the truck then you get more active regen cycles.
You don't get a message when you are doing an active regen. You get the message when you haven't met the requirements to do a regen. You are confused.

· Registered
3,525 Posts
Okay, here goes...

I guess my truck is opposite of that. I get the diesel smell, like its injecting the extra diesel in the exhaust, when I've been on the highway for an extended time, not when driving around town.:confused013: I've decided to try driving the truck around town with the TH on full time for a few tanks of fuel to see if it makes any difference both in fuel milage and regens. Just wondering if the higher rpms change anything or not as far as exhaust heat. As far as the message goes, the only time I ever saw one was at the tail end of a 6 hour road trip. According to the dealer it was a software issue that was fixed in a flash update.

· Registered
453 Posts
I drive 5.4 miles round trip to work everyday. Only see the highway on occasion. Have only taken 2 real highway trips. One was 4000 miles, of which 2500 was towing the RV. The other was around 350 miles. I have only gotten the regen message once at 9100 miles while on my 4k mile trip and not towing at the time. I now have 11600 on the odometer and will hit my 1 year with the truck on Halloween. No issues. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

· Registered
206 Posts
I too have the same commute as you about 20 min on highway to work. I have 1500 on my truck and have never seen a message in my evic. I used to obsess about this and did not want to drive the truck unless it was on the highway. Now, I don't worry about it. I drive it when and where I want. Just enjoy it and have fun..............:thumbsup:

· Registered
265 Posts
I was worried about this when I moved and dropped my commute to 2 miles each direction. I have been here about six months and haven't had an issue. I do make it a point to take the truck on the long haul back to the city (200 miles) every month or two. No regen messages, no diesel smell, seems the DEF is doing its job with the occasional pump click and ammonia smell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.