Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

this came out of nowhere ... all of a sudden I have a VERY noticable vibration in my drivetrain while im on the throttle...

say im cruising at 60 mph, If my foot it on the pedal slightly, i feel a major vibration through the whole truck, through my seat and through the pedal... but when i let off the gas, the vibration drops by about 80%... and u almost dont feel it... this just started a few days ago...

any ideas.....

thanks in advance...

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
Ive got that same problem. Think ive heard of a few guys having it also. Dont think anyone knows what it is. As bad as that sounds. Do you have aftermarket wheels and tires on? Mine only really does it bad when i have my 20"s on. Still happens when my stock wheels are on also so i dont think its just the wheels.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i have a 4 inch lift and 18" rims and 35" tires... but it was smooth as silk before... just started all of a sudden... i know i need to rotate my tires... my backs are worn more than my front... but it hasnt been a gradual increase in vibration... it was one day it was there... the next it was... and its still there......

how do i check u-joints??

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
I dont know bud. The only thing i can say is get your tires rotated and balanced, see if that helps any. If u-joints are going out they usually squeak and squal. Not to say that thats not the problem. I would start with the tire check. How many miles do you have on your truck?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
71000 kms on my truck... so roughly 44000 miles...

i had a sommercial vehcle inspection done at 65000 kms and i had a tie rod replaced and they said everything else was good...

so yeah, ill get the tires rotated and balanced tomorrow and see what that does...

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
Well get those wheels checked and let me know if it helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My u-joint went out never made a sound. IT would just vib. really bad. I drove mine about 5 miles and got under it the u-joint will be really hot on the one thats bad. If you have the time the other way would be just take the drive shaft out and see which one is stiff.I pull 20,000 with mine they go out alot on me.:peelout

·
Registered
219 Posts
My u-joint went out never made a sound. IT would just vib. really bad. I drove mine about 5 miles and got under it the u-joint will be really hot on the one thats bad. If you have the time the other way would be just take the drive shaft out and see which one is stiff.I pull 20,000 with mine they go out alot on me.:peelout
same here.... except once i got the rear driveshaft out, i could see the the caps on one of my u-joints were pretty much destroyed....

the only symptoms was a horrible vibration between 40 and 50 mph and also above 70. the way you described it, im almost certain thats what it is. a local driveline shop replaced both u-joints for $40.

hope this helps

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks guys...

does warranty cover U-joints?? i still have warranty... but i think its gonna be a battle with dodge since my truck has a 4 inch lift...

·
Registered
219 Posts
i would assume that they would be covered in the drivetrain warranty but yes you probably will have a bit of a fight because any sort of lift messes with the driveshaft angles which would cause your premature u-joint failure..... if they wont honor the warranty just take it to a local driveline shop, i doubt it would be any more than $50. (and have them replace both u-joints while you have the shaft out, no sense in going through it again in the near future!!!!):thumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replace carrier Bearing

On Long bed 4x4 I was replacing u joints every 15,000 miles, however driving it with bad u joints can cause damage to carrier bearing and would need to replace. Will also cause rear seal in transfer case to go out loose your fluid and grenade transfer case.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
On Long bed 4x4 I was replacing u joints every 15,000 miles, however driving it with bad u joints can cause damage to carrier bearing and would need to replace. Will also cause rear seal in transfer case to go out loose your fluid and grenade transfer case.
I would also tend to lean toward the carrier bering

1 - 13 of 13 Posts