Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Kore front leveling kit yesterday and drove to work this morning and everything was fine.

When I got home I installed the rear 2" blocks and went for a test drive this evening. I notice a slight vibration while taking off easily now. Do the rear blocks put too much leverage on the rear leafs? I'm trying to figure out what I'm feeling.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
sounds like the pinion angle is off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to 4wheel parts warehouse today and talked to them. He said I'm feeling axle wrap. He also said the vibration while driving could be a u-joint that has already settled after 35K miles and the new angle is just making the u-joint mad.

Might need a new rear u-joint or just let it try to settle in.

I looked at some 35's on 20's. Dam, they are expensive and fine.

Can I borrow some money that I don't have to pay back to buy some tires and wheels?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Your pinion angle might be a little off. I believe your Mega has a two piece drive shaft. The carrier bearing in the middle probably needs a spacer to drop it down a bit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think about that. Does someone sell a small carrier bearing spacer?

·
Registered
331 Posts
That should have been the first thing the guy at 4wheelparts suggested. They sell, as do many suspension manufactures. U could also make your own from some flat stock or possibly some 1" square tube, if that much is required.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You might have to look around a bit or just make your own. I know they sell them with the bigger lifts but Im not sure who would make one for just a 2". Take a look under your truck. You might want to see if you can just stack washers. If you can, start by adding about a half inch of drop. Take it for a ride and see if it helps. Keep adding washers until the vibration goes away. Then find a spacer(or make one) the same measurement as the height of the washers. In most cases the drop of the spacer will be less than half the lift of the blocks. Meaning, if you have 2" blocks, you'll need to drop the carrier bearing an inch or less to get the pinion angle right again. There probably is some truth to the u joint being "set", especially since they are non greasable. But dropping the carrier should but it back to where it was before the lift. If not, you may need another u joint. However, I kind of doubt you would see much axle wrap with a 2" block and stock 3/4 leafs. I dont think that 2"s would be enough leverage to significantly wrap a stiff rear spring like ours. You will usually see axle wrap with blocks and half ton springs. Its possible, but I just dont see it unless you are running big tires and a lot of horse power. I would just start with the carrier bearing drop and go from there.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to see the dealer today, man they are useless. They said it is probably the rear ujoint but the only guy qualified to look at anything bigger than a 1/2 ton already left for the day. They said it would need to be in the shop a couple days and they would not give me anything to drive, on my own.

I think I'll just spend the couple bucks and buy a ujoint and pop it in.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
how many miles on your rig? I would hope u-joints wouldn't be bad already?!?!?!?

What about trying the carrier bearing drop first. If anything, make oine yourself for cheap?

coupon code for suspensionconnection.com: MAYSALE

10% off

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may try that tommorrow.

35,000 miles

Warranty almost up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to an expert today and after picking his brain I just got rid of the blocks.

Running front leveling kit and stock rear. Drives great.

·
Registered
541 Posts
:thumbsup

If you do want to raise the back in the future, check out these shackles from Don Thuren. They are heavy duty, have a high quality, greasable bushing, and three different height option. Stock, level, and 3" lift, to match the front. And because they drop the rear of the spring down, they also rotate the pinion up, thus maintaining the correct angle:thumbsup

·
Registered
329 Posts
I installed my Kore front leveling kit yesterday and drove to work this morning and everything was fine.

When I got home I installed the rear 2" blocks and went for a test drive this evening. I notice a slight vibration while taking off easily now. Do the rear blocks put too much leverage on the rear leafs? I'm trying to figure out what I'm feeling.
Where did the 2" blocks come from?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If 2" blocks did that, something might be wrong. First, I would note that often blocks are tapered to line up pinion angle, so they can go on backwards. They also could be one going one way and another going the other, and that can do some pretty interesting things. Wobble flop!

Something important to note is that the driveshaft is balanced, so if you pull it, and replace it, it could lose balance, but much more worrisome is if you pulled the slip shaft apart on the rear shaft. If you index it wrong, it will cause you some SERIOUS problems. Like starting with a motor mount and ending with a transmission. IF this happens, it will be tame if the driveshaft is straight, but terrible whenever it isn't.

2" seems a little small to have a significant vibration.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don't waste your money on U-joints. "Launch shudder" or whatever you want to call it is normal on these trucks. Mine has had it since day one. Just drop your intermediate bearing in small increments until it is minimized.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts