Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· ......................... ......
14 Posts
The bottom latch is seized.you can use a sawsall and cut the stricker off to get the door open. You need a blade that 9-12 inches. hope this helps

· Registered
142 Posts
remove the cover on the inside of the rear door..the one that has the handle to open it..then check the rods that operate the latches..try to operate then manually.

good luck

-dkenny

· Registered
102 Posts
i had the same problem it was from not using it enough it actually locked tigght

· Registered
2,114 Posts
mine was the same way. lot of force and ut opened. then greased the he!! out of it and it works great now!!

· Registered
453 Posts
I had to resort to the hacksaw blade and a new latch. That is one hell of a pain.

· Registered
36 Posts
Mine has started sticking lately. I have to push door in with one hand and then pull lever.

· Registered
703 Posts
Stuck Door

Mine did it to. Took off inner panel and used a pry bar to get door open lubricated the wee out of it and was a little better for a while. Sticking again lately.
Seems to me that it is now the door hinges are sloppy and need replaced, the bushings that is.
Door hangs a bit a this jams the latch.
Gonna try this next.

· Registered
703 Posts
Clarify Pry Position

Did you pry between the door and B pillar or inside the door on the latch? I haven’t had time to pull the panel and look at it but would not be surprised if I had to saw it. Will see this weekend.
Actually my post was confusing.:confused013:
I had the inner panel off to investigate play in the cable might not be getting the latch to disengage.
I did continue to pull on the cable inside the door (panel off) at bottom latch area to ensure the latch was disengaged. Pryed between floor pan and door in latch area. Door inner panel did not have to be off for prybar location.
Also before prying I had sprayed the wee out of the latch from all access points.
I currently think it is my (in my case) door hinges being sloppy.
Good luck, takes some elbow grease. :thumbsup:

· Registered
356 Posts
seems like this is a pretty common problem mine is the same way. just another one of dodges screw ups ln the 2nd gen. seems like the only thing they did right is whats under the hood.

· Registered
206 Posts
Had the same thing. Search re: this and you'll find some good pics. Might be the bottom of the door or the latch point in inside the door my need some tightening like it was for mine.

· Registered
103 Posts
I had the same problem last summer. Thought it might be just sticky hinges or something, but it turned out to be a bracket inside the door that held the cables for the top and bottom hinges came loose. It would open the top hinge but had just enough play in it that the bottom hinge wouldnt open. Got that tightened up and it works like a charm.

Check that out before you go hacking away at your truck. Could be something real simple like mine.

Reactions: Powerwagon64

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
Seems the orginal poster is MIA????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.