Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Driveline Problems with 8" Lift

4656 Views 41 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  BurninMetal
I just got done installing an 8” Top Gun Short arm kit on my ’08 Diesel, Automatic Mega cab and it does not look safe to drive. The Tech guys at Top Gun told me that the drive lines would be fine, but it does not look that way to me. The front looks fully extended and the rear looks to have pulled out of the tranny about 1.25 inches. What would be the most reliable option to correct this problem?
1. Lengthen both drivelines, (how much?)
2. Add driveline spacers?
3. Drop the tranny and transfer case down?
4. Clock the transfer case
Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
clock the transfer case for the front.
wait until you drive it a little, your gonna hate tgc stuff. did you get a different trac bar or use your stock one with their bracket supplied?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did install a Pure Performance adjustableTrac bar. I just got off the phone with tgc and they still say that I should not have any problems. They did suggest that I clock the transfercase to reduce the vibrations in the front driveline. Should I lengthen the front drive line as well as clock the transfer case?

· Registered
398 Posts
flynf7, you have the 8" short arm kit right?

Use the clocking ring for the front. The rear should be fine if you have a quad cab. If you have the MC you can drop the carrier bearing further to decrease the angle.
Joe E.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got off the phone with Superlift and they said that their clocking ring would only work on the automatic transmission if I get a seal relocation kit. (I think Skyjacker makes one?) I will need to do some more research on this but it sounds like it should work out pretty good along with a +1” front drive line. Has any put one of these on an automatic ’08? As for the rear, I do have Megacab but it has a 1 pieces aluminum rear driveline. I am going to pull the rear off tonight and see how much contact it actually makes with the transmission splines. The rear might be Ok.

· Registered
578 Posts
clock the transfer case for the front.
wait until you drive it a little, your gonna hate tgc stuff. did you get a different trac bar or use your stock one with their bracket supplied?
I'm sure the 8" short arm rides like sh!*, but the long arms ride better than stock.

Shoraceteam, take your front shaft out until the coils settle (3-4000 miles or flex the front end a lot). If it is still bad, get an indexing ring.

· Registered
82 Posts
flynf7, you have the 8" short arm kit right?

Use the clocking ring for the front. The rear should be fine if you have a quad cab. If you have the MC you can drop the carrier bearing further to decrease the angle.
Joe E.
Yep 8" short arm. Soon to be hitting the garbage can. Playing with long arm and coil overs..

· Registered
236 Posts
Yep 8" short arm. Soon to be hitting the garbage can. Playing with long arm and coil overs..[/QUO

I love my long arm kit!

Can anybody give a staight forward answer as to what brand/where to get an indexing ring?!

· Registered
531 Posts
Don't worry about the rear drive shaft it will be fine. I had 11" of lift on mine in the rear and no problems with it. 8" you will be fine, the front a different story you will need an indexing ring or a longer drive shaft.

· Registered
531 Posts
I did install a Pure Performance adjustableTrac bar. I just got off the phone with tgc and they still say that I should not have any problems. They did suggest that I clock the transfercase to reduce the vibrations in the front driveline. Should I lengthen the front drive line as well as clock the transfer case?
you do not need to do both just the indexing ring for an 8"-9" of lift

· Registered
285 Posts
Get the Rize indexing ring and trans drop bracket, should fix everything. It comes with a spacer that lengthens the rear by separating the trans and transfer case. Front shaft is plenty long. I have the Rize kit and it has a full 9" of lift. But I did upgrade the skocks to Billstein 5100s. Glad I went this route and not the cheaper one.

· Registered
109 Posts
flynf7 if you do take the lift off and go with something different how much would you want for it?

· Registered
85 Posts
options

One up off road has a great kit to index the transfer case and drop the transmission in the back;-) They also have the carrier bearing drop kit available.

Its worth a look.....

· Registered
3,516 Posts
the indexing ring not only lowers the shaft side of the case,( making the angles for the front better and lower, it also shortens the rear distance making a longer shaft unneeded, and also decreasing angle, but do advise checking all angles and lengths.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, it looks like I have a couple options:
1. Get the Rize indexing kit
2. Get an indexing ring, seal relocation kit and the cross member lowering bracket
Can anyone give me the P/Ns and good source for the parts in option 2? I have an ’08 Mega Cab with the 6.7l and auto trans.
BTW: I took the truck on a little trip this last weekend and quickly realized that the short arms were a poor choice. I am going to upgrade to the long arms very soon. I was thinking Pure Performance. Are there any better options out there? I also talked to TGC and they said since I was so dissatisfied with the kit that they would sell me the Rize kit for $2450 (reg, $2790) but the wife handed me a pillow and blanket and sent me to the couch just for asking…

· Registered
108 Posts
I got mine from Luke at Spirson Off Road in San Diego. Comes with the ring, a billet trans bushing, and a seal. Worked great. Had to space the transfer case skid plate down a hair but the crossmember is in the original location. No more vibration

· Registered
118 Posts
Get the Rize indexing ring and trans drop bracket, should fix everything. It comes with a spacer that lengthens the rear by separating the trans and transfer case. Front shaft is plenty long. I have the Rize kit and it has a full 9" of lift. But I did upgrade the skocks to Billstein 5100s. Glad I went this route and not the cheaper one.
hummm..... cheap one? or just a reasonable price. love mine. rides better than stock.......

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.