Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Driveability problems with Hypertech tuning and new VP (apologies for the long post)

816 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Big Mike270
Ok guys I just installed the new VP yesterday and everything ran great. I decided to re-install the Hypertech Stage 3 tuning and take it for a drive and see how it works with the new pump. First I noticed the power seemed about the same as stock and then the fuel pressure started jumping around and the truck stalled out. I got it going again and then it started doing it again and stalled. Luckily I had the Power programmer with me so I scanned for codes and got nothing so I put it back to stock tune. The truck seemed to run fine after that. Got it home checked for fuel leaks and found nothing, I figured maybe I pulled some air in from somewhere. The truck had some fuel in it from winter so maybe that didnt help either.

After checking over the truck I installed the Hypertech programming again with the Stage I tune. This time the truck ran without a hitch. Not sure whether to bump it up to stage II and try that or what. I am stumped on what could have caused it to run rough and stall. The truck ran fine before with the Stage III and the old VP.

Sorry for the long post but maybe someone has a few ideas, I could sure use a little insight into this.

Thanks.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody have any thoughts on this one?

· Registered
164 Posts
I've not personally owned a hypertech but I have a buddy that did. He ditched the hypertech and went with the smarty...awesome low end power...and if it's stacked with edge hang on...downside your stock tranny will not like you with this combo. 1st I would recommend a FASS or Air Dog to keep your new injector pump pumping..have fun

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
strange that it ran fine before with the hypertech and old VP, now it decides to give me problems with the new VP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.