Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks everyone for all the input. I stopped the shop and took the truck for an extended trip that includes a location where the vibration was always obvious. Neither my wife nor I detected the vibration at any time in the trip including the location where it had previously been obvious. The shop had verified the vibration on a test drive and then felt they were able to duplicate it in the shop by sound with the truck running an rear stands. They replaced the U joints and balanced the drive shaft twice and then replaced the drive shaft with a different rebuilt unit and continued to hear the sound so felt they hadn't found the vibration. My test indicates that the vibration I wanted fixed was fixed with the drive shaft repairs and whatever sound they were chasing wasn't what I felt in the seat of my pants. My conclusion is that new U joints and re-balance of the drive shaft is what it needed and that fixed the vibration. In the trouble shooting I paid for some over due servicing which is OK by me and they spent significant unpaid time searching for a phantom sound attributed to the vibration I wanted fixed. I suspect the sound and my vibration are related but unloaded on stand conditions are different than real on road conditions and the latter is what is important to me. Thanks again.

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,367 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed, thanks for posting.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
19 Posts
damn vibrations can drive a person nuts. Not only annoying but could spell bigger problems. Glad you and the misses got it fixed. Finally

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are looking at the drive shafts you are heading in the wrong direction. This is what I call a “scooby doo” looks and acts like one thing but it is not. It is more than likely your over drive bearing going out. When you go into lock up there Is less pressure being placed on the bearing and you will
Feel a vibration in the seat primarily and it will go away once you produce more pressure in the clutch pack (higher speed). It goes away once you let off of the accelerator? This is in a 4 speed 48re correct?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are looking at the drive shafts you are heading in the wrong direction. This is what I call a “scooby doo” looks and acts like one thing but it is not. It is more than likely your over drive bearing going out. When you go into lock up there Is less pressure being placed on the bearing and you will
Feel a vibration in the seat primarily and it will go away once you produce more pressure in the clutch pack (higher speed). It goes away once you let off of the accelerator? This is in a 4 speed 48re correct?
Jfulk, he got the problem finally under control. It was a driveshaft issue and he tells about it a few post up the thread.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the input. I stopped the shop and took the truck for an extended trip that includes a location where the vibration was always obvious. Neither my wife nor I detected the vibration at any time in the trip including the location where it had previously been obvious. The shop had verified the vibration on a test drive and then felt they were able to duplicate it in the shop by sound with the truck running an rear stands. They replaced the U joints and balanced the drive shaft twice and then replaced the drive shaft with a different rebuilt unit and continued to hear the sound so felt they hadn't found the vibration. My test indicates that the vibration I wanted fixed was fixed with the drive shaft repairs and whatever sound they were chasing wasn't what I felt in the seat of my pants. My conclusion is that new U joints and re-balance of the drive shaft is what it needed and that fixed the vibration. In the trouble shooting I paid for some over due servicing which is OK by me and they spent significant unpaid time searching for a phantom sound attributed to the vibration I wanted fixed. I suspect the sound and my vibration are related but unloaded on stand conditions are different than real on road conditions and the latter is what is important to me. Thanks again.
Maybe give them a plug? Sounds like a fine shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jfulk, he got the problem finally under control. It was a driveshaft issue and he tells about it a few post up the thread.
My bad maybe I should read the entire thread.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts