Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently replaced both batteries after purchasing my truck and so in Commifornia, we have to get it smogged to transfer title. I have read various different versions of the below drive cycle and tried a few of them. So far I have got only one monitor ready and two incomplete still. Anybody have any experience with this? Ive done the drive cycle on a few different vehicles in the past and always got it to work without having to drive 300 miles or more. So damb frusterating this smog crap. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Version 1 I tried:
Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3 minutes).
Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for two minutes.
Decelerate coasting down to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.

Version 2 I tried:
½ throttle to 55mph and hold for 3 minutes
Coast to 20 mph then ¾ throttle to 60mph and hold for 5 minutes
Coast back to a stop

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, I recently replaced both batteries after purchasing my truck and so in Commifornia, we have to get it smogged to transfer title. I have read various different versions of the below drive cycle and tried a few of them. So far I have got only one monitor ready and two incomplete still. Anybody have any experience with this? Ive done the drive cycle on a few different vehicles in the past and always got it to work without having to drive 300 miles or more. So damb frusterating this smog crap. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Version 1 I tried:
Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3 minutes).
Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for two minutes.
Decelerate coasting down to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.

Version 2 I tried:
½ throttle to 55mph and hold for 3 minutes
Coast to 20 mph then ¾ throttle to 60mph and hold for 5 minutes
Coast back to a stop
Wow, pretty shocked no replies at all to this problem Cant believe no ne has experienced this before in Communist California. Anyway, for anyone in the future who does face tghis problem, here you go:

It passed smog and here is the deal. As I mentioned in my original post, the truck came from Florida. So it is registered as a Federal Emissions not a California Certified. So, the two readiness monitors that still are showing not ready, don't matter, the smog guy punched in federal and it passed. I forgot to ask him if I even needed the Fuel Exhaust readiness monitor or not. But of the three IM readiness monitors, I had the Fuel Exhaust monitor ready but not the Misfire or Comprehensive Component monitors. 2 out of 3. It had nothing to do with flashing the ECM. You don't have to do all the crazy drive cycles either. You just need a smog person who knows the difference between his butt hole and a hole in the ground. I had one smog guy tell me "just drive it, you might need to put 1000-2000 miles before all three IM monitors are ready because you definitely need all three monitors." Another smog guy/mechanic told me "it could cost you a lot of money and driving, you need to go to dealer and have them re-flash your ECM" So there you have it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts