Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the gauges sitting on the workbench I've just been trying to gather info and make sure I have everything I need to get them mounted.

I know where to drill the pyrometer sensor on the manifold and to leave the truck idleing while I drill to push the shavings out the exhaust. But what size drill bit and what about a tap? Also same question on the boost sensor in the intake manifold. I have DiProcol gauges.

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
Are you dead set on having the engine run and idle while you are drilling the manifold?

I would just worry so much about what would happen if the tap or drill bit broke when doing this........

·
Buck Ofama
1,343 Posts
Are you dead set on having the engine run and idle while you are drilling the manifold?

I would just worry so much about what would happen if the tap or drill bit broke when doing this........
The manifold is pretty soft. I did mine while running.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is really no need to leave the truck running while you drill it. It works just as good with the truck off. Installation instructions tell you to use a size "R" drill bit. I had a hard time finding one so I did a search on the forum and came up with some great information. You can use a 21/64 drill bit. Make sure you start out with a lot smaller one and work your way up. It will keep your shavings smaller. Once you get it drilled to the 21/64, tap it with 1/8 npt tap.

Drill bits are designed to pull shavings out of the hole, thats why you can drill it with the truck off. Just go slow and don't get in a hurry. It helps to have a vacuum right there while you drill to suck up the shavings.

It's a killer to have gauges on the work bench and not on the truck! Have fun and good luck!:thumbsup

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did mine while running too , no problems just wear safety glasses got a shaving in my eye.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think I am going to put mine in tomorrow as well.

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,024 Posts
I did a few without it running and the turbos haven't failed yet. I wouldn't worry bout running the engine while drilling.

·
Banned
516 Posts
its not that hard to drill a hole with it running. take a punch and make a mark and your good to go!

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
HEY JB!
Here is a link

3-Gauge Install Pictures - 5.9L Cummins

Here is some info that helped me out. Ive already installed mine. Hope this link helps you. As a valued customer, I hope you like them and if you need any other info I will be in and out ALL weekend. Feel free to send me a message, I always check them. You should have pretty much everything you need for the install .:thumbsup

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided to drill in the alternate location on top of the manifold. That way the shavings wouldn't fall down into the turbo, they would just sit there. I used a magnet while drilling right next to the bit and it sucked up what was on top. After I drilled I used a telescopic magnet to get the shavings out. WOW, there were alot of shavings. After I tapped the hole I used the magnet again until the inside was completely clean.

I've got the boost and pyro working but I don't have a way to hook up the tranny sensor. I think I need the adapter. I can't find the part # for it. The test port isn't deep enough and there is some sort of adapter.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,433 Posts
hate to bring up an OLD post but..

the directions that came with the gages as well as this post and dieselmanor.com show that 1/8 inch bit and tap should be used for the pyro probe.

i have the isspro gages and there's no way the threaded part of the probe is 1/8 inch. it looks like 1/4 inch to me.
do you START with 1/8 inch and work your way to 1/4 inch?

what am i missing here :CRY:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Its 1/8" Pipe thread. Use a letter R drill bit to drill the hole or 21/64" if you dont have letter drills.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,433 Posts
right, home depot and autozone didnt have a letter r anything, and there wasnt a drill tap that measured 1/8".

is it 1/8" pipe thread on a 1/4" nut ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
you need to drill with the 21/64 bit then use a 1/8"-27 npt tap.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,433 Posts
21/64 bit is the same size as the 1/4" threaded part on the probe is what im understanding here.. ? on the pic below the threaded part ( 1/8" npt thread ) is a little wider than 1/4".

sorry for being an idiot, but i need to get this done and have already made two trips to da sto.

appreciate the replies!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Its not really 1/8". Dont pay attention to that. Go to the store and buy a 1/8x27NPT tap and a 21/64" drill bit. Drill the 21/64" bit into the manifold and then tap the hole with the tap. Pipe threads are not true to their name size. 1/8" NPT is around .437 major diameter but it also tapers from one diameter to another along its length. This is to help seal it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts