Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I now have the fun adventure of tracking down why I'm blowing white smoke. Interested if there is somewhere cheapest to start while I go ahead and throw parts at this thing hoping to find it to be a cheap fix. Its a 05 2500 5.9 24valve. Smokes when I first start it after its been sitting, idles rough but only at first. If I start driving and get about a mile down the road it clears up and runs like a champ. Any suggestions as where to start is greatly appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving guys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like you might need ATF/2SO mix in the tank and stiction eliminator in the oil to clean up the injectors. Has worked for me several times before if that's the issue. The above solution won't fix worn injectors obviously. Do you have the ability to run a contribution test?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

That’s a video of dad truck with bad injectors . It would start hard when cold and miss and smoke blue-white but after warming up it was fine . Other problem is that it would smoke excessively when flooring it .

Turned out to be injectors. Ran a heavy dose of atf and it cleaned it up for awhile But it started to act up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That’s a video of dad truck with bad injectors . It would start hard when cold and miss and smoke blue-white but after warming up it was fine . Other problem is that it would smoke excessively when flooring it .

Turned out to be injectors. Ran a heavy dose of atf and it cleaned it up for awhile But it started to act up again.

Idk I feel like mine almost has more smoke than that. I'll get a video of it and post it up here. But I'll keep that in mind and try to clean the injectors.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds like you might need ATF/2SO mix in the tank and stiction eliminator in the oil to clean up the injectors. Has worked for me several times before if that's the issue. The above solution won't fix worn injectors obviously. Do you have the ability to run a contribution test?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
How much ATF do you run through a full tank??

·
SuperModerator
10,597 Posts
For a full tank, 1 or 2 quarts of Dexron ATF (don't use synthetic) and 1 quart of the Walmart Super Tech TC-W3 Outboard 2-Cycle Engine Oil( this is an ashless version, which is the only type 2SO to use)
Run it hard through this tank, if any improvement, then do it again and see if it improves more.

Some reading on this here > ATF as Injector Cleaner

·
Registered
172 Posts
For a full tank, 1 or 2 quarts of Dexron ATF (don't use synthetic) and 1 quart of the Walmart Super Tech TC-W3 Outboard 2-Cycle Engine Oil( this is an ashless version, which is the only type 2SO to use)
Run it hard through this tank, if any improvement, then do it again and see if it improves more.

Some reading on this here > ATF as Injector Cleaner
Just curious, why Dexron ATF and not a synthetic ATF+4, or other synthetic?

·
SuperModerator
10,597 Posts
It burns clean the newer will not.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Pull and oil sample and send in to oil test lab for diesel fuel contamination from leaking injector nozzles ASAP.
Worn out leaking nozzles are the quickest killers of a Cummins HPCR, rod thru block.
Just dirty nozzles, can take your time on cleaning, but worn out pintle/nozzle, can be just days before you'll be hoofing it.
What fuel water removal, dirt filtration? Stock OEM and 245K miles, injectors are tits up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts