Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I did search.
I have a 2000 ram with a NV4500 trans.

My problem is about the dreaded fifth gear nut.

First question what year did they fix this problem?

Second, could it be something else( I don't want to tear into it and have it be tight)?
Mabey I am hearing something else?
The noise only happens while in 5th, so I'm leaning on this being the problem.

I took the truck down to a local trans shop and told them I thought it was backing off. They said it would be minimum of $427.00 with the new version installed. Fluid is around 25/quart.

I know there are a lot of fixes but I just want it done. Usually I would do something like this myself but the tools are something I would never use again and aren't cheap.

Any positive info would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
First of all I did search.
I have a 2000 ram with a NV4500 trans.

My problem is about the dreaded fifth gear nut.

First question what year did they fix this problem?

Second, could it be something else( I don't want to tear into it and have it be tight)?
Mabey I am hearing something else?
The noise only happens while in 5th, so I'm leaning on this being the problem.

I took the truck down to a local trans shop and told them I thought it was backing off. They said it would be minimum of $427.00 with the new version installed. Fluid is around 25/quart.

I know there are a lot of fixes but I just want it done. Usually I would do something like this myself but the tools are something I would never use again and aren't cheap.

Any positive info would be great. Thanks
1) They fixed it by putting the 6 speeds in this truck... The NV4500 didn't change.

2) I don't know honestly if it is the nut... When my broke off, I lost 5th all together and that is the most common result of the nut. What sound is it? Could it be the syncrose's you think?

If you do have to change the nut, make sure they put the solid nut in there not the Non-solid OEM (Stock Replacement) one in... they do not hold up and are not as strong. I did the 5th gear nut in my driveway with a budy... if you dont have mechanical knowledge, take it in... on a 1 - 10 (1 easiest to 10 hardest) I would put it about 8.5.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you buy any special tools? I know there is a spline socket for the shaft to hold it while you torque the nut. Although I have heard you can jam a rag in the gears to hold the shaft. Also there is a special ring socket for the nut itself. I've hear a pipe wrench will work?

Also I am positive the fluid in there isn't Synchromesh. My synchros are a tad tight I am running 75-90 in there now and I want it out.

So ,I plan on draining it. If it is just a noise resulting in wrong oil I would hate to replace the oil and then find out it really was the nut. Then I would have to buy all new oil again.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
This is the non solid nut, don't put this in.

This is the tool... and yes you have to have this.

Reactions: brutus76

·
Registered
521 Posts
I did mine without the tool i used a big chisel to get it tight and peened the edge over good. Still working 70K later with no noise.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i have no idea how you did that LOL.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did mine without the tool i used a big chisel to get it tight and peened the edge over good. Still working 70K later with no noise.
No idea why it wouldn't work, I just don't want to take the risk of going in there again and the cost of the fluids.

·
Registered
180 Posts
my dads 98.5 model lost 5th gear three times. the first time he replaced it with the special nut thats not supposed to back off... well it did. the second time he put a new main shaft and gear in as well, with the special nut and it stripped the splines out between the gear and the shaft :shock:. and now the 6 speed has over a hundred thousand on it :thumbsup: hope for the best

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the non solid nut, don't put this in.

This is the tool... and yes you have to have this.
Countryboy, how much was the special tool and where did you find it?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I couldn't tell you the price of the tool... I rented it from a local mechanic.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yeah... put a whole tube of locke tite on there too... helped my previous '99 5 speed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i put loctite on it ran the nut up put the truck in gear and took a big chisel and gave the nut a few good shots then peened the edge over to keep it from backing off. I also put some p-tex on it to help keep it from backing off. you would be surprised how many mechanics do the same thing!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 01 did the same thing last week pulling a 40ft gooseneck uphill and all of a sudden 5th gear started making all sorts of clanking and popping. I searched around too, but didn't see any thread on how to fix the problem. Im pretty sure i could just tear into it and fix the problem, but i would like to see a thread on it, if there is one. If anybody has a thread on the 5th gear nut fix, post it up if you would. Thanks

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My 01 did the same thing last week pulling a 40ft gooseneck uphill and all of a sudden 5th gear started making all sorts of clanking and popping. I searched around too, but didn't see any thread on how to fix the problem. Im pretty sure i could just tear into it and fix the problem, but i would like to see a thread on it, if there is one. If anybody has a thread on the 5th gear nut fix, post it up if you would. Thanks

Let me get this straight... you were pulling a 40' trailer.... up a hill... in 5th.... and it started making noise... What was your first clue that was a bad idea :hehe:Sorry man, just struck me funny, but if you didn't know now you do i guess.

5 speeds can't pull up hill in 5th, 4th gear only up hills, only on the flats can you pull in 5th....

Kinda supprised there isn't a thread... though i have not looked.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Let me get this straight... you were pulling a 40' trailer.... up a hill... in 5th.... and it started making noise... What was your first clue that was a bad idea :hehe:Sorry man, just struck me funny, but if you didn't know now you do i guess.

5 speeds can't pull up hill in 5th, 4th gear only up hills, only on the flats can you pull in 5th....

Kinda supprised there isn't a thread... though i have not looked.

turn your edge up bud and you will be able to make it up in 5th gear or 6th if you have a 6 speed:nos:

but a tip on oil get the amsoil its a lot cheaper but still like $12 bucks a quart:banghead:. i think mine used about 4 and 1/2 quart.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I pull the 30 ft race car trailer up hill in 5th all the time! If the trucks still makin power and not slowin up why grab a gear? There is a thread on here somewhere i think maybe mopar1973 man posted it! I know its on his website here Fixing the 5th Gear Nut
Great thead! I saw that one with a google search, very well done.

As for me doing this myself I think I am going to go with a Piers Diesel nut Kit.

It costs $27.99

Does anyone know what the green spiral thing is in his video and pics? Seems like it would need to come off to remove the old nut?

Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
Mopar1973man has a ton of good stuff on his website pretty much every headache you will ever have he has an answer too!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts