Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,334 Posts
Possibly from being over tightened.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably was at some point, I've always used a torque wrench for the several years I've owned it. I'm just happy it wasn't the threads tearing out of the pan when it didn't seem to tighten up normally.

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
Now is the time for the finger touch drain valve. I've done over a hundred oil changes with mine. You will never have to remove a drain plug again.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Now is the time for the finger touch drain valve.
+1, came here to say this when I saw the subject line. Best bang for your buck on anything that needs oil changes. Not necessary on the Dodge but the one I have on my RV generator has a fitting for a hose as well -- it's almost impossible to reach the plug without putting your face where the oil will come out otherwise. Guess how I know :D

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
I have one one my Hemi Ram too. They also make taking oil samples easier.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Another drain valve advocate. Never worry about stripping out the pan again. Makes draining a breeze. Recommend the drain nipple and a bit of tubing as well.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Yes i have seen that failure .

Its a good excuse to get a drain valve , and never look back !

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The drain valve is probably awesome but I'm ok with the plug, I have a way to remove it without getting oil on my hands, some antique ratchet looking 90* drive tool. Only use I've ever found for it.

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
The drain valve is probably awesome but I'm ok with the plug, I have a way to remove it without getting oil on my hands, some antique ratchet looking 90* drive tool. Only use I've ever found for it.
It isn't about getting hot oil on your hands (which IMO is reason enough). Constant removal and reinstallation will eventually result in a leak, or worse. I installed one in my new Ram 1500 which only gets an oil change every other year. (About 20,000 miles). For those of us who change oil based on oil sample analysis instead of an arbitrary mileage number it is a no brainer.

Reactions: 99grinder

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
" you can lead a horse to water , But you cant make him drink " .

We tried , the OP is ok with his soon to be new drain plug.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I still question why it took me so long to make the switch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Not that I'm enthusiastic about my new Chinese dorman drain plug but when you want your truck back on the road ASAP you gotta do what you have to. Maybe I'll look into one of those fancy drain units.

·
Premium Member
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 12v EC LB
126 Posts
That is 100% caused by over tightening.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It could also be from trying to muscle it loose when too tight. I’ve seen it more white dis-similar metals, steel/aluminum.

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
ive never had a leaky drain plug in my life... but a drain valves sure does sound convenient....

You pretty much cant smash them off because the axle is lower right?

·
Registered
306 Posts

Johnny Carson said " you can lead a horticulture but you cant make her think"

• Haha
Reactions: ekvhekvh
1 - 18 of 18 Posts