Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Seems to me this weld would be problematic anytime an alignment was needed. Also seems to me this wouldn't improve anything, but would just potentially prevent something. Still curious if it did improve anything, but more curious from those that replaced the parts if it improved anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was initially quoted between $200-250 for the grind and re-weld. I went through the roof, putting it nicely. I contacted the Attorney General office and had to send them a letter explaining everything. I received a copy of the letter that they ended up sending to the dealership. When the time came, the dealer ended up (only) charging me an extra $30. I went round and round with them and I was told I need to take it up with Chrysler. I forked over the $30 because I wanted my steering wheel aligned properly. Believe me I am not done with this. Something has to change

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Ram might consider actually doing real world testing of steering components and avoiding these expensive recalls and deal visits. Buyer morale would certainly take an uptick It's not rocket science. It's safety,longevity and customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I was initially quoted between $200-250 for the grind and re-weld. I went through the roof, putting it nicely. I contacted the Attorney General office and had to send them a letter explaining everything. I received a copy of the letter that they ended up sending to the dealership. When the time came, the dealer ended up (only) charging me an extra $30. I went round and round with them and I was told I need to take it up with Chrysler. I forked over the $30 because I wanted my steering wheel aligned properly. Believe me I am not done with this. Something has to change
Sounds like the Service Manager needed the $30 to pay for his beer & pizza that night, opinion once again.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Also seems to me this wouldn't improve anything, but would just potentially prevent something. Still curious if it did improve anything, but more curious from those that replaced the parts if it improved anything.
Correctly done welds would indeed improve the strength of the assembly, especially if the sleeve was sketchy, as discussed in the other threads.

Is a replacement, OE or aftermarket, an improvement over the recalled design?
I dunno. It's simply a matter of transferring forces between two points, so there's no real room for improvement in that sense.
After all, the recalled design didn't exactly bend. But I'm sure that many who replaced it felt better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Correctly done welds would indeed improve the strength of the assembly, especially if the sleeve was sketchy, as discussed in the other threads.

Is a replacement, OE or aftermarket, an improvement over the recalled design?
I dunno. It's simply a matter of transferring forces between two points, so there's no real room for improvement in that sense.
After all, the recalled design didn't exactly bend. But I'm sure that many who replaced it felt better.
Welds were only done to units that torque correctly. The welds were only to keep the lock nuts from turning, not to reinforce the assembly.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
The welds were only to keep the lock nuts from turning, not to reinforce the assembly.
Jeez, here we go again.

Would you please read through the other threads so we don't have to repeat all this stuff for a third (maybe fourth?) time?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just give the Cole's notes PowerPoint version, partly for me too please.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Meh, it's a lot quicker to apply a bit of logic.

If the goal really was to keep the nuts from turning, LocTite, hose clamps, maybe even duct tape would've done the job.
But by making the better threads in the nuts part of the assembly, by welding, it increases the strength since it was the sleeve that was the problem.

See how easy that was?
Okay, that's what I thought it was in the other threads, too, but logic is a foreign concept to many these days.

Reactions: hooked55

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Your the man, cool guy.

And points for being timely.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Timely?!? The drag link panic was at least a year or two ago.
Wasn't it? Time flies whether I'm having fun or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Meh, it's a lot quicker to apply a bit of logic.

If the goal really was to keep the nuts from turning, LocTite, hose clamps, maybe even duct tape would've done the job.
But by making the better threads in the nuts part of the assembly, by welding, it increases the strength since it was the sleeve that was the problem.

See how easy that was?
Okay, that's what I thought it was in the other threads, too, but logic is a foreign concept to many these days.
I LocTited the far side nut that was loose when V06 first came out, and it did not came loose again. It is now in the shed still like it was when I LocTited it back then.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
I LocTited the far side nut that was loose when V06 first came out, and it did not came loose again. It is now in the shed still like it was when I LocTited it back then.
Hey, we have something in common. In my case the '19 drag link is still laying on the floor, and the recalled OE one is still in its place, with nothing done to it.
Anyway, we could start a drag link storage together.

You seem to be an example when I seldom come to this forum. Bye Bye!
Again, a tie-in between us. But I'm responding more seldom these days since I just don't see a reason to read and post the same things over and over.
As hinted to above, for example, I don't want to look up part numbers that are out there for everybody to see if only they would take the time instead of being spoon fed.

Reactions: hooked55

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hey, we have something in common. In my case the '19 drag link is still laying on the floor, and the recalled OE one is still in its place, with nothing done to it.
Anyway, we could start a drag link storage together.

Again, a tie-in between us. But I'm responding more seldom these days since I just don't see a reason to read and post the same things over and over.
As hinted to above, for example, I don't want to look up part numbers that are out there for everybody to see if only they would take the time instead of being spoon fed.
Hey JimmyN, remind em about the accidental diesel spill meant to lengthen the floor life of a drag link! Never mind, I just did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is the final after install.

·
Registered
40 Posts
o, it matters dude.

49 bucks or so I'd be pissed, and refuse to pay, or demand a refund if I did. And call it a day.

A couple hundred and I'd be swinging for the fence, clearing out the waiting area, demanding a refund, promising a very special segment at the end of the six oclock news, and other free forms of advertising.

This would make my blood boil, you know, like international data roaming charges from simply driving around Abbotsford.

But your right, he should get a refund.
Haha... Made me laugh out loud. (I would have shown my a$$ the same way).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you tell any difference in the handling? Steering?
Maybe a little stiffer now, but I am adding the steering box stabilizer next week. I ran into someone At our cabin that put One on and swears by the improvements, he’s running 37’s as well and says it’s a world of a difference

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks. Keep us posted. I have a little bit of steering wonder at highway speeds, nothing major. But would be interested to see if the steering stabilizer actually works or improves the steering for later model RAMs. Some folks say the stabilizer does nothing to help the newer trucks, and should be reserved for the older gens. But then some swear they work on newer trucks. I have no idea.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts