·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
I thought they didn't have any parts to fix those trucks on the drag link recall, all they did was weld the adjuster nuts???

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If updated parts were available, the claim is the updated parts were installed incorrectly.

It appears the weld is the only fix, which we were told originally with V06.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Sounds like the Energizer Rabbit, it keeps on going and going......

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
July 3, 2020 — A MOPAR recall has been issued for nearly 33,000 of these steering components:
  • Drag link assemblies (part number 68369907AA)
  • Jam nuts (part numbers 06510749AA and 06510750AA)
  • Drag link inners (part number 68111304AA)
  • Drag link outers (68111301AA)
  • Drag link adjusters (part number 68111302AA)
Ram customers may have purchased 4x4-style steering system drag link assembly component parts intended for Ram 2500 and 3500 heavy duty trucks.
But if not welded according to specifications, the outboard steering linkage jam nut could loosen and allow one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve. This will cause directional control problems for a driver, greatly increasing the risk of a crash.

Um, ok.
Why would folks buy these parts, when they too needed to be welded?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My main question is on this new issued recall, will they fully back the “reimbursement for customer purchased replacement parts?” To do away with this shoddy, half assed solution from a manufacturer I may as well get them to reimburse us for a Synergy bar.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Those are all part numbers for the old drag link, not the newer replacement one that some people got in the recall. It looks like this additional recall is for trucks that at some point in the past (prior to the recall) had their drag link repaired/replaced. There were people who had the drag link begin to separate years before the recall and their trucks were repaired with the old style link. It might be that these were parts were sold outright to a repair shop or directly to an owner and now are included in the recall.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my question is, what do they mean when they say "not welded to specification"

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So these were indies and DIY repairs using the original recalled parts now recalled to further ass cover and avoid lawsuits.

·
Registered
388 Posts
July 3, 2020 — A MOPAR recall has been issued for nearly 33,000 of these steering components:
Ram customers may have purchased 4x4-style steering system drag link assembly component parts intended for Ram 2500 and 3500 heavy duty trucks.
But if not welded according to specifications, the outboard steering linkage jam nut could loosen and allow one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve. This will cause directional control problems for a driver, greatly increasing the risk of a crash.

Um, ok.

My drag link isn't that part # thankfully. 68338342AB

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Mine is a Synergy, paid for by FCA. I still can't believe FCA paid for 3rd party parts but I'm glad they did. Welding is a ridiculous fix. Even a financially strapped backyard mechanic would choose a better solution than that.

Reactions: Drle

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Come to think of it, welding could fix a lot of open recalls.

Who needs a functional drag link adjuster, tailgate that opens, or SCR cat?

Should get my drag link recall done though. One less HD Ram truck on the road with a "loose nut" behind the wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My main question is on this new issued recall, will they fully back the “reimbursement for customer purchased replacement parts?” To do away with this shoddy, half assed solution from a manufacturer I may as well get them to reimburse us for a Synergy bar.
I don't remember if I had this problem on my 14 2500 but I bought a 16 in feb of this year and mine has the great fix on it from mopar of the weld job. the dealership I bought the truck from (non dodge) is buying the synergy bar to fix the problem. it worked out that the service manager has the same problem so he ordered 2. we will see next Tuesday if it fixes the problem. has anyone else done the synergy bar.

Reactions: SRich12

·
Registered
188 Posts

Um, ok.
I’m going to guess because they were people with second gens like me that were trying to get their trucks to steer halfway decent and at the time it was an “upgrade” retrofit to get rid of the brain trust’s Y-style setup on the front end of those trucks. Even worse is now that trucks running around, god knows where, with an unknowing owner that will never get a recall.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone had this done (the weld, or this apparent new set of parts) and seen their steering improve? I've opted out of the welding so far (I have a 1" lift and wasn't sure I'd keep it that way), but would let them replace the parts because my steering has been a little wandery since about 4k miles (even before the lift, and I've got 25k now), and the toe gets out of alignment every 6 months or so. I've got marks on the drag link that I monitor, but can't help but wonder if this is part of the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone had this done (the weld, or this apparent new set of parts) and seen their steering improve? I've opted out of the welding so far (I have a 1" lift and wasn't sure I'd keep it that way), but would let them replace the parts because my steering has been a little wandery since about 4k miles (even before the lift, and I've got 25k now), and the toe gets out of alignment every 6 months or so. I've got marks on the drag link that I monitor, but can't help but wonder if this is part of the problem.
I had to have the weld ground off and re-welded to have my steering wheel centered after an alignment was done. I bought my 2014 2500 in Feb. of this year, with 26,000 miles and the part was already welded. I had to have the dealer do it because no other shop would touch it because it was part of a recall. The dealer charged me a fee by the way to have the recalled part weld ground off and re-welded after steering wheel adjustment. Ain't that a kick in the a*^. I contacted the 1-800 number to see if my 2014 is on the list and it is, They(Marie) informed me that it will not show up on any website until closer to the first week of August when they will begin to mail out the notices, that is what I was told. I contacted my dealer and he told me that they do not have a list yet and will know more the second week of August .

·
Registered
769 Posts
Another example of a dealer ripping somebody off. If they charged you to grind off a weld that the dealer welded in the first place I’d be in the service managers face demanding a refund. Sounds outrageous to me, my opinion.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I had to have the weld ground off and re-welded to have my steering wheel centered after an alignment was done. I bought my 2014 2500 in Feb. of this year, with 26,000 miles and the part was already welded. I had to have the dealer do it because no other shop would touch it because it was part of a recall. The dealer charged me a fee by the way to have the recalled part weld ground off and re-welded after steering wheel adjustment. Ain't that a kick in the a*^. I contacted the 1-800 number to see if my 2014 is on the list and it is, They(Marie) informed me that it will not show up on any website until closer to the first week of August when they will begin to mail out the notices, that is what I was told. I contacted my dealer and he told me that they do not have a list yet and will know more the second week of August .

How much was the fee to grind off, then re-weld from your dealer?

·
Registered
769 Posts
How much was the fee to grind off, then re-weld from your dealer?
It really doesn’t matter what the amount is, if what bhunter says is true, he should get a refund, plain and simple, again my opinion.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
o, it matters dude.

49 bucks or so I'd be pissed, and refuse to pay, or demand a refund if I did. And call it a day.

A couple hundred and I'd be swinging for the fence, clearing out the waiting area, demanding a refund, promising a very special segment at the end of the six oclock news, and other free forms of advertising.

This would make my blood boil, you know, like international data roaming charges from simply driving around Abbotsford.

But your right, he should get a refund.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts