Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NHTSA is looking into it AGAIN, like I have said after seeing how loose mine was, I would not accept it being welded.

The agency will now orchestrate a more thorough root-cause analysis to determine if the 4x2 drag link is potentially susceptible to the same failures. Investigators will also be evaluating the long-term suitability of FCA's fix, which involves welding the nuts to the adjuster sleeve.

https://leftlanenews.com/ram/fca-faces-investigation-into-ram-2500-recall/

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what do we talk about this time :stirpot: :wink2:
You do not think NHTSA opening a NEW investigation into whether or not the weld fix is a good long term solution is worth mentioning?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I hope they get fined for their stupid weld fix. I never took mine in for that and never will. Its still fine and i am here to tell the tale. Its like welding your lunch box lid closed so your sandwich never falls out. Where do they get some of their ideas?
I would not be surprised if they decided to weld the lug nuts at some point to keep them from ever coming loose. Seriously you can always grind and weld again when you rotate. Adjustable parts are still adjustable when you factor in a grinder. Flawless execution on Rams part.

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
Hey, this should warrant a couple three new threads on the subject, I think.

For example, can we get reimbursed in advance this time?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I was under the impression that the weld fix was just temporary until they had a new design to replace it with.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was under the impression that the weld fix was just temporary until they had a new design to replace it with.
They do have a new design and is used on the 2019, you just cannot order it and they will not install it, although I think one person did get the new one installed after complaining.

Before I ordered the synergy link I called FCA and the dealer. both told me the weld was the permanent fix and they would not adjust the steering wheel for free after it was welded. Others have been told it was temporary. This article and others makes it sound like the weld is the long term fix. The fact they close the recall once welded to me indicates its final.

As for the grinder, if you mess up the mating surfaces while girding the weld out, how would you properly torque it again, as per the recall if you cannot properly torque it they will replace it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah screw that. I had checked mine a 1k miles and it was loose, red loctited both nuts and paint marked and 7k later all is still good.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I hope they get fined for their stupid weld fix. I never took mine in for that and never will. Its still fine and i am here to tell the tale. Its like welding your lunch box lid closed so your sandwich never falls out. Where do they get some of their ideas?
The weld up is a hack of a fix. The engineers who came up with it should be ashamed of themselves. I can think of a half dozen ways off the top of my head it could be secured without welding. Top of my list would be staking the threads just outside the nut. Secures the nut from loosing with vibration but can still be removed without a grinder......

They do have a new design and is used on the 2019, you just cannot order it and they will not install it, although I think one person did get the new one installed after complaining.
Just an educated guess on my part, but I'd bet the entire reason the part is restricted is they can't or won't spool up supplier capacity to take care of both new production and the recall pool. They're consciously choosing to prioritize new production over handling an outstanding safety liability, which is borderline negligent IMO....

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
The weld up is a hack of a fix. The engineers who came up with it should be ashamed of themselves. I can think of a half dozen ways off the top of my head it could be secured without welding. Top of my list would be staking the threads just outside the nut. Secures the nut from loosing with vibration but can still be removed without a grinder......
This is Deja Vu all over again, and for the fifth (?) time. The real problem is not that the jam nuts come loose.

If it was, yes, there are numerous ways to keep them from doing it.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
If there’s one advantage of the 4500/5500 Cab & Chassis trucks....it’s not having to deal with welded nuts.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
This is Deja Vu all over again, and for the fifth (?) time. The real problem is not that the jam nuts come loose.

If it was, yes, there are numerous ways to keep them from doing it.
If they knew how to make decent threads it wouldn’t be a problem - at least on my truck. That and a course on metallurgy wouldn’t hurt.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Put red loctite on on the nuts tighten down after straitening the steering wheel and be done. Did mine that way some time last year and aint moved. :doh:

@gsbrockman I like being commando myself :>:):

1 - 20 of 36 Posts