Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (4th gen., Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel with 68RFE transmission)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dealership just replaced the DPF filter again!!! This is the third filter (2nd replacement) in my truck and it only has 17k miles on it. I am getting real tired of taking it into the dealership to have it manually regen'ed. It does the auto regen until it reaches near 100% and then it won't regen automatically any more, and I have to take it into the dealership. They manually regen it until they just can't do it any more and they replace the DPF filter.

Anyone else having this issue?

FYI - the only mod I have on the engine is an S&B Cold Air intake.

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,403 Posts
Are you short trip city driving the truck or hauling with it? With just 17k miles on it, and a 3rd DPF filter, there is likely another issue that is causing the DPF to fill up

· Registered
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (4th gen., Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel with 68RFE transmission)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very little city driving. I tend to do some 60-mile round trips into the mountains, and some hauling a 5th wheel on vacations. That's about it.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would not disagree, but I can't figure it out. And the dealership has no incentive to do anything more then what their failure mode tells them to do. They plug it in and it tells them the DPF is full so they do a manual regen, and plug it in again. If it still shows the DPF full they replace the ceramic filter and call it a day. Dodge doesn't pay them to do anything more. I have thought about putting the factory air intake back on to see if that fixes the issue, but I had it on the first time they replaced the filter. I have to say it took longer the first time though?

· Registered
2,383 Posts
Would not disagree, but I can't figure it out. And the dealership has no incentive to do anything more then what their failure mode tells them to do. They plug it in and it tells them the DPF is full so they do a manual regen, and plug it in again. If it still shows the DPF full they replace the ceramic filter and call it a day. Dodge doesn't pay them to do anything more. I have thought about putting the factory air intake back on to see if that fixes the issue, but I had it on the first time they replaced the filter. I have to say it took longer the first time though?
Air filter wont change anything unless the filter was plugged up

· Registered
2017 3500 CCLB Cummins 6.7 Aisin 4X4 Tradesman
56 Posts
Wow, how frustrating. Sounds like one definition of insanity - keep doing the same thing and hope for different results. If possible, take it to another dealership. Perhaps open a case with RAM Cares.

I’m guessing since it’s the third DPF and problem persists that it’s something else. Could be so many things - bad injector causing excess soot prematurely clogging DPF. Bad DPF pressure sensor telling the computer it’s plugged when it’s not. Intake air leaks altering the air/fuel ratio causing excess soot. Bad EGR. Excess oil or coolant entering the combustion chamber. And on and on and on.

I think it’s sound advice to start with the stock intake. Even if it has nothing to do with it, the dealership may eventually blame it for the problems.

· Registered
6,197 Posts
DPF clogging up is a symptom not a problem. Sounds like on the first two DPFs the dealer just replaced the failed DPF but clearly never fixed the problem. Or the DPF’s were not even failed as mentioned above. I would it to a real diesel mechanic or at least another dealer, or better yet, get your tools out and start diag’in! ;)

Something else is wrong, DPFs don’t just fail on their own.

Also i would put the stock air box back on, the china tube is just adding a variable to the equation right now. they don’t do anything anyways right?

· Registered
37 Posts
Possibly talking with @RamCares would be benificial
Hey there!

We appreciate being tagged in this. If you need assistance, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Reactions: Yakkety Yak

· Registered
746 Posts
That sucks man. There is defiantly something going on there. You should not have that many issues with DPF systems. Talk to Ram and see what they can do for you. If that dont work, I would look into putting the truck on a diet.

Reactions: s10010001

· Registered
746 Posts
Yup that’s my thinking too. DPF is a symptom not a problem. Shop replacing the DPF and sending him off is flat out the wrong approach
Exactly. The problem is what's causing it to fill up. You can throw 10 DPF filters on the truck, but unless the problem is fixed it will continue. Issue is dealers hire these kids who are nothing but part changers and cant troubleshoot anything.

· Registered
17 3500 Laramie CCLB
7,732 Posts
Exactly. The problem is what's causing it to fill up. You can throw 10 DPF filters on the truck, but unless the problem is fixed it will continue. Issue is dealers hire these kids who are nothing but part changers and cant troubleshoot anything.
Those kid are told what to change.

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,403 Posts
Yeah, that's the problem with dealers these days. There is no investigation of the problem. Trouble shooting if a forgotten art. These days it is just plug in the computer, do what the computer says, wait for results. Repeat as neccesary

· Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to tag onto this but it looks like a conversation associated to my problem?
So, regarding the thread and the DPF and dealers, I just had the actuator replaced by the dealer (extended factory warranty). After they installed it they called and said the DPF is full and will not regen they want 5K to replace the filter. I picked it up today and drove until the regen complete notice appeared. Can the malfunctioning actuator and limp mode cause the filter to fill up?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts