Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body know how long it takes to make the computer throw codes on the 6.7l. I took the filter out and tied all the sensors to the frame and ran the truck as hard as it would run for about 20 minutes with nothing but the down pipe on it and it never turned even the engine light on.:peelout

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, but mine dont have o2 sensors so is it possible that it wont

·
Registered
194 Posts
Poindexter I am intersted in this also. I have the same truck, we do not have o2 sensors but I believe just pressure switches. Keep me posted if you run a straight exhaust in the future.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cummins cat and detroit all made it so In a commercial truck your supposed to be able to run the truck for 4 hours for diagnostic reasons. Just what our reps and classes told us I work at a truck shop.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poindexter I am intersted in this also. I have the same truck, we do not have o2 sensors but I believe just pressure switches. Keep me posted if you run a straight exhaust in the future.
A friend of mine is making a flange to hook to the down pipe and we are gonna try it,because it runs like a whole different truck without the DPF .

·
Registered
655 Posts
A friend of mine is making a flange to hook to the down pipe and we are gonna try it,because it runs like a whole different truck without the DPF .
I bet it really opens up!:peelout

·
Registered
194 Posts
PM me if you like the way it works out, I would love to get rid of the regens and the very high constant egt's these motors run because of the emissions stuff. :peelout

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any body know how long it takes to make the computer throw codes on the 6.7l. I took the filter out and tied all the sensors to the frame and ran the truck as hard as it would run for about 20 minutes with nothing but the down pipe on it and it never turned even the engine light on.:peelout
Well I gutted the inside's of my DPF and it took about 2 hours of driving 70-80mph for the catalyst to go to 100%.

·
Registered
13 Posts
f--k the dpf,s

would like to know how any of the 6.7,s are doing that have had the dpf,s removed for any length of time running and fuel wise and how about smoke

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wondering the same thing... Want to get rid of the dpf on our farm truck. The damn thing gets insanely hot and thats a pretty bad thing when driving through a dry grass field. How would I go about taking the thing off? Just replace it with a piece of pipe and leave all the sensors where they are? Also, Ive heard about people taking the dpf off of the LMM Dmaxes too... A friend of mine just bought one and is wondering about how to take his dpf off as well.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Taking off the DPF is not quite a simple as it sounds. The computer will throw codes eventually if you don't add some devices to trick the ecm into thinking that the DPF is still there. It may be even more complicated. I have heard that the truck will go into a permanent limp mode if the ecm sensors report any parameters that are out of spec for too long. So in other words. The truck may work fine for days, weeks, months...and then wham...ECM wil derate the engine...someone said permanently. It may be that it has a built in anti tampering program put there by Cummins or Dodge. I would like to find out if this is true or not. Unfortunately no one likes to be the guinea pig...

·
Registered
37 Posts
A little birdie told me that if you were to just eliminate the dpf, then the pressure sensors in the exhaust that determine when a regen is needed will just assume there is not enough backpressure to warrant a regen and never do one. could be wrong of course, but it does make sense.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Dpf is back on the truck. When i went back to the dealer to try and buy my ford back there answer to solving how bad i hate this truck was to reflash it so when i got back home i put the straight pipe back on and it got stuck in regen mode. If your truck is one of the early ones and hasnt been reflashed try it but if it has it wont work.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wondering the same thing... Want to get rid of the dpf on our farm truck. The damn thing gets insanely hot and thats a pretty bad thing when driving through a dry grass field. How would I go about taking the thing off? Just replace it with a piece of pipe and leave all the sensors where they are? Also, Ive heard about people taking the dpf off of the LMM Dmaxes too... A friend of mine just bought one and is wondering about how to take his dpf off as well.
The duramax is easy to remove the dpf.
Efi live can turn all of the sensors for it off so you can cut it out. Also there are a couple programmers that also do it. ppe and quadzilla I think are the ones that can do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
took my dpf off and ran it for about one and a half days before the cel came on, the code reader said preasure sensor malfunction, it went into perm regen until i reset the computer and i did put it back onh for now. Am still looking for the answer like the rest of you, keep everyone updated.::popcorn:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a april 07 with no flashes, i too have taken my dpf off and it runs great than after about a day and a half as sjb said it will go into a constant regen

·
Registered
187 Posts
I want some info on how to take the EGR off if someone could help my out with that?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts