Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum and not really found what I'm looking for. 14 2500, 87,500. I tow 10k probably 20 times a year. Regen never came on before, now for the first time twice in the last month The regen has come on, 1st time I drove about 10 miles and it went from 100% to 70% then off in about 15 minutes. Yeserday I drove 400 miles round trip with a 600lb load, 80% hwy at 75mph. About 20 miles of steep steady uphill. This morning it says filter 100% regen in progress. I go to drive it and I was in 3rd gear and as I head up a long steady hill by my house it goes from 100% to 80% in 3 minutes then to 70% and complete in about 2 more minutes. My work trucks never regened that fast. I'm wondering if this seems normal? Also trying to understand why it never did before and now it has twice fairly close together. The shop by my house that specializes in cleaning the DPF and CAT said theres no way it needs to be cut open and cleaned yet. It runs great, I guess I'm just hoping to understand it better. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had the same experience. I was told that the scenario is normal because the cat piss (DEF) and soot are getting burned out during normal driving and it only occasionally has to do it and show you the warning so you don't shut it off before it's done. But, the dealer also tells me they found a DPF code with their scanner that my OBD II readers only shows a red oval for DPF and, they want to put a $3500 DPF filter on it. It just passed emissions 3 weeks ago and the truck only has 79,000 miles on it! I'm calling bullshit. Maybe the injector nozzle has crystallized cat piss on it and they just do what the code's drag procedure tells them to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had the same experience. I was told that the scenario is normal because the cat piss (DEF) and soot are getting burned out during normal driving and it only occasionally has to do it and show you the warning so you don't shut it off before it's done. But, the dealer also tells me they found a DPF code with their scanner that my OBD II readers only shows a red oval for DPF and, they want to put a $3500 DPF filter on it. It just passed emissions 3 weeks ago and the truck only has 79,000 miles on it! I'm calling bullshit. Maybe the injector nozzle has crystallized cat piss on it and they just do what the code's drag procedure tells them to do.
It hasn't done it in months now.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
655 Posts
I had an issue with mine last year to where it would give me the regen about every three days. It was the DPF delta sensor. Once replaced I had no issues in a year.

Reactions: BrianB53
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.