Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10,000 on my 13 Bighorn. I get a nasty burning Tin Can smell in the cab when I am sitting at a light or in traffic when it goes into Regen Mode. Never smell it when on Highway.

Anyone have this experience?

Possible bad door seal somewhere or???:

:confused013:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have 10,000 on my 13 Bighorn. I get a nasty burning Tin Can smell in the cab when I am sitting at a light or in traffic when it goes into Regen Mode. Never smell it when on Highway.

Anyone have this experience?

Possible bad door seal somewhere or???:

:confused013:
Yep I get it too along with exhaust fumes once and a while, Had the clamps on the turbo tightened as somebody on here suggested they might be loose and it did not help. Dealer has no clue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine does it, maybe putting the climate control on recirculate would help. Haven't tried it yet

·
Registered
770 Posts
Great.... wonder what toxins you're breathing in

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Mine too. I went to the dealer yesterday to set up an appointment for an oil change and a list of things for them to look into, one of which is the diesel smoke smell in the cab. I was able to tell them that if you open the hood, on the turbo side of the motor, there is a pulley with cables going around it (my guess it has something to do with the throttle). Mine was releasing exhaust right there. Whether or not that is the only leak I don't know. Dealer agreed that smelling high concentrations of smoke in the cab is not good at all because of the obvious health concerns (ie. Carbon monoxide). So if you guys could, check around that pulley, mine has got soot all over the bracket above it that holds the cables and I can watch smoke come out from around the pulley, especially when the truck idols up in the morning when I warm it up.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Mine too. I went to the dealer yesterday to set up an appointment for an oil change and a list of things for them to look into, one of which is the diesel smoke smell in the cab. I was able to tell them that if you open the hood, on the turbo side of the motor, there is a pulley with cables going around it (my guess it has something to do with the throttle). Mine was releasing exhaust right there. Whether or not that is the only leak I don't know. Dealer agreed that smelling high concentrations of smoke in the cab is not good at all because of the obvious health concerns (ie. Carbon monoxide). So if you guys could, check around that pulley, mine has got soot all over the bracket above it that holds the cables and I can watch smoke come out from around the pulley, especially when the truck idols up in the morning when I warm it up.
That' s your egr valve.... that'll ddefinitely smell like diesel fumes.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Diesel welder, in your opinion, do you think this could be the culprit, at least in my case? And I would assume that it shouldn't be leaking there, correct?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Diesel welder, in your opinion, do you think this could be the culprit, at least in my case? And I would assume that it shouldn't be leaking there, correct?
Absolutely correct !! That should not be leaking !! You shouldn't smell any diesel fumes in these new trucks....inside or outside.

·
Registered
401 Posts
both dpf trucks i've owned had this smell. i just say its the trucks way of letting you know its in regen.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Ok, well hopefully the stealer can fix it. Yeah, the first time I smelled it, my wife was in the truck and she had a fit. "Almost $60K for this da** thing and it smells like this inside...........". Oh, it wasn't pretty. She didn't want to spend the money on it either......another nail in my coffin.:doh:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
They need to replace that valve of tighten up whatever is loose. That EGR system feeds right of the exhaust manifold. I could see how that would produce horrible fumes inside the cab !!

·
Registered
2021 3500 dually 4x4
435 Posts
I wonder if a certain production run of trucks had this issue? Mine has never had any in-cab smell from regen.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Both diesels I have had have that regen smell, thought it was normal

·
Registered
13 Posts
I notice the in-cabin smell mostly when I'm hauling (when truck is under load) and I come to a stop. Not that it would help much but these things need a cabin filter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the same smell in my 3500 I think it is the cross over tube for the egr it looks like it is burning off the clear coat they spray on the motor. The cross over tube when new was all the same color now on the exhaust side it has turned dark brown. However my 5500 has not had this smell and my cross over tube has not changed color.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Trowel13 says his has soot all over it and smells diesel fumes...not typical regen stank. He shouldn't have any soot around any of these areas.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't have the regen smell in the cab but when its super cold out here and stuck in traffic I get a hint of regular diesel exhaust in the cab, like the smell from an older truck with all the emissions stuff on it.:confused013:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.