Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DPF hit the floor again today. I fabbed up a straight pipe, hooked up the potentiometer and set it all the way up, ran it around town and mpgs lowered:thud:

I'll get a better idea after drivin it tomorrow. Pics on the way.

·
Registered
667 Posts
DPF hit the floor again today. I fabbed up a straight pipe, hooked up the potentiometer and set it all the way up, ran it around town and mpgs lowered:thud:

I'll get a better idea after drivin it tomorrow. Pics on the way.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Strange!!! Maybe you have a fuel leak. Just joking, keep us posted because something is not right if your MPG is going down. :thud:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
pics please!!! I need to get my DPF removed asap, would be nice to seem some references on how ya'll did yours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same experience right out of the gate. The potentiometer was the key for me. I used a 5K and since we are setting at around .5 it has a very small tolerance level. If it is just a tad bit off mine goes into permanent regen....mine sounds like a skil saw coming out of the tailpipe when it is doing that and then when I hit the pot just right it sounds right. Turn the pot all the way off and then just BARELY move it over and I mean ever so slightly then the sound changes and the mileage will jump. I'll also fried the first pot during install...make sure it is still working. Also put mine under the back seat since it wasn't made for exterior application. My mileage (overhead since I fill at home without a meter) went from 14.5-15.5 to 17.5-19 empty.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same experience right out of the gate. The potentiometer was the key for me. I used a 5K and since we are setting at around .5 it has a very small tolerance level. If it is just a tad bit off mine goes into permanent regen....mine sounds like a skil saw coming out of the tailpipe when it is doing that and then when I hit the pot just right it sounds right. Turn the pot all the way off and then just BARELY move it over and I mean ever so slightly then the sound changes and the mileage will jump. I'll also fried the first pot during install...make sure it is still working. Also put mine under the back seat since it wasn't made for exterior application. My mileage (overhead since I fill at home without a meter) went from 14.5-15.5 to 17.5-19 empty.
DITTO!!!DITTO!!!DITTO!!!

Freaked out today, poured a slab 2 hrs from home and went into regen!!

Amazing how accurate the description of the skilsaw, but I was still gettin 17.5-18 at 60.

Wile the truck was running the white smoke was pouring out, but a little twist of the pot it stopped.:beer

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I'm reading this right- Your took the dpf off and fabbed up your own. Did you make your own fooler box too? Because without the fooler box your truck will detect that there is something wrong and stay in regen, and run like crap. I believe that is what it will do. Haven't gotten brave enough to take mine off yet.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If I'm reading this right- Your took the dpf off and fabbed up your own. Did you make your own fooler box too? Because without the fooler box your truck will detect that there is something wrong and stay in regen, and run like crap. I believe that is what it will do. Haven't gotten brave enough to take mine off yet.

The C&C is a whole nother world!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Updates? Any more tinkering or is it all good to go?
Mines been fine as described...other than the last two weeks in the shops getting re-skinned after the hail storm. It's runnin great though and I would highly recommend getting rid of the dpf the egr and the egr cooler. Better mileage no soot going into the engine...just out the pipe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dpf Mia!!!!

Ok, somebody tell me about the potentiometer hookup in conjunction with the missing DPF. I thought there was a simple solution to this issue but hadn't been able to find enough info to experiment. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, somebody tell me about the potentiometer hookup in conjunction with the missing DPF. I thought there was a simple solution to this issue but hadn't been able to find enough info to experiment. Any information is appreciated.
The potentiometer only works on the cab & chassis, looks like you have a pickup. You will need a fooler box and a new downpipe. The regular trucks are alot more restrictive with a cat in the downpipe, and other stuff. Get a fooler box asap, or put back the factory exhaust or you will need to see the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dpf Mia!!!!

Thanks for the info. Yes, mine is a regular truck with the full complement of BS, I mean emissions controls. Which of the fooler boxes have worked the best?

Thanks again for the input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts