Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on my truck when i first got it the DPF fill gauge read just under the quarter mark at some point shortly after it zeroed it self out and has not budged off zero in 400 miles is this normal or is something not reading correctly I ask because my L5P duramax by 400 miles would be almost half full and would regen around 800 miles like clock work

·
Registered
576 Posts
Friend just this afternoon told me he now has 4,000 miles on his new 2500 Cummins. He towed his RV for maybe 600 of those miles. He is around 3/4 on his DEF gauge as of our discussion. We talked of his fuel mileage and he mentioned that the DEF is from when he took delivery and he has never added any.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friend just this afternoon told me he now has 4,000 miles on his new 2500 Cummins. He towed his RV for maybe 600 of those miles. He is around 3/4 on his DEF gauge as of our discussion. We talked of his fuel mileage and he mentioned that the DEF is from when he took delivery and he has never added any.
I'm not talking about the DEF (urea) there's another gauge that shows the percentage of soot fill in the particulate filter

Reactions: AlwaysPullin

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly you are referencing the electronic gauge that comes up as you cycle through all the various things you can monitor? If that is the case.... mine has moved only once and it got up to about a quarter of the way up and after a regen it dropped back to zero. Its seems my truck will go into a Regen around every 700 miles from what I can tell. Everytime its regens, I reset my trip computer to zero and around the 700 mile mark it will come on. However that gauge remains on zero, so not sure what the deal is what that, but it is nice to have a message come on, on that particular screen that your truck is in regen, vice my 2016, and 2018 where I would need to pay attention to the different engine sound or look at my CTS2.

Reactions: cux211

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly you are referencing the electronic gauge that comes up as you cycle through all the various things you can monitor? If that is the case.... mine has moved only once and it got up to about a quarter of the way up and after a regen it dropped back to zero. Its seems my truck will go into a Regen around every 700 miles from what I can tell. Everytime its regens, I reset my trip computer to zero and around the 700 mile mark it will come on. However that gauge remains on zero, so not sure what the deal is what that, but it is nice to have a message come on, on that particular screen that your truck is in regen, vice my 2016, and 2018 where I would need to pay attention to the different engine sound or look at my CTS2.

In regen the truck would sound deeper so to say? I’ve noticed mine idling outside then all of a sudden I can’t hear it like it shut off.

Also never knew the truck has a dpf gauge. I’ll have to look.

·
Registered
76 Posts

In regen the truck would sound deeper so to say? I’ve noticed mine idling outside then all of a sudden I can’t hear it like it shut off.

Also never knew the truck has a dpf gauge. I’ll have to look.
Yes in regen the truck will sound different. When you scroll through all the various options you can monitor, you will come to a gauge that says DPF and has a meter from 0-100. If your truck is in a regen cycle, it will have a message in that particular screen stating it's in regen vice the 0-100 meter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My truck does a regeneration every 24 hours of use. Watch your engine hour meter and pay attention to the total hours (idle + driving). First regeneration was at 24 total hours(particulate filter gauge @ 0), second regen was at 48 hours (gauge @ 0), third at 73 hours(not sure why it skipped 1 hour, gauge was at 0) and the fourth was yesterday at 96 hours. I think this is the strategy they programmed in. It is easy for me now to know when, or at least approximately when they will occur. My truck skipped waited an extra hour once, I'm not sure why. Perhaps it wasn't fully warmed up. It also just started to do one once when I just pulled up to my house. I didn't mind shutting it off because it literally had just started & the exhaust wasn't even remotely hot yet. The next morning on my way to work, it immediately went back into regeneration and was able to complete it during my drive. If you put it in park, it immediately stops the regen so that you could idle it and let it cool off in case you need to shut it down. Next time I'm going to experiment and see if it continues to regen if I put it in neutral.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My regen gauge also always stays at zero, but the truck regenerates fairly regularly. I can hear the tone change on the engine, and if I flip to the gauge it will tell me a regen is in process. Nice to have that notice, but it would be nice if the percentage full portion worked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The gauge works. These trucks do a passive regeneration when you are driving. I'm fairly certain that if you were to do a bunch of short hops without letting the engine & exhaust system get up to temp, you would see the gauge register particulate matter. If the exhaust gets up to a certain temperature during regular use, it will keep itself clean and wont need to artificially elevate temperatures to induce a regeneration. I believe that they programmed in a forced regeneration every 24 hours of use in order to ensure that it stays clean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's also another reason why these new models use so much DEF. As exhaust temperatures go up, NOX levels raise, therefore more DEF is needed to make the catalyst. Since these trucks are running hotter during regular use, the exhaust can stay clean but the byproduct is more DEF is needed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The gauge works. These trucks do a passive regeneration when you are driving. I'm fairly certain that if you were to do a bunch of short hops without letting the engine & exhaust system get up to temp, you would see the gauge register particulate matter. If the exhaust gets up to a certain temperature during regular use, it will keep itself clean and wont need to artificially elevate temperatures to induce a regeneration. I believe that they programmed in a forced regeneration every 24 hours of use in order to ensure that it stays clean.
I do a lot of short hops, lots of idling, etc.. mine has never moved from zero.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've seen mine register 15-20%, then shut the truck off and on the next trip it's back to zero again. I don't think the gauge is very accurate at all. I've put 3,500 miles on it since i got it and have actually noticed 2 regens. They take about 5-10 minutes. It tried to regen once in the drive-thru of the bank. As soon as I put it in neutral it seemed to disengage the process and started back up as soon as i put it in drive. Not sure the engine can regen in neutral? It doesn't act like it can.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine is always at 0. I have around 14K miles on it now. I do get plenty of idle time in (have more idle hours than drive hours), and it will do a regen every 3 hours of idle for about 45min-1 hour. Not crazy about the regens, but hey, it's cold outside!!

That 3 hour time will reset if I get about 15-20 min of highway speed driving.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That DPF gauge must be a 2019+ thing. Wish my 18 had one. You would figure FCA would have included that in a while back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My gauge also stays at zero (2019). I can monitor the DPF on the Torque app and watch it climb. Even after a regen, the DPF only drops to 40.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Again ... my 2019 DPF gauge does NOTHING. it show nothing until a regeneration starts then it turns off and goes to a message that a regeneration is going on. When that regeneration stops the notice stops and the gauge is back to nothing and stays there.

It should be programmed to do something and it is NOT.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So my 2019 was doing a regen last night and I had to sit at an accident scene during the regen for an extended period. I never put the truck in park, instead keeping my foot on the brake while in Drive. After some time (7-8 minutes, maybe?) the message on the DPF screen about a regeneration in progress went away, revealing the gauge showing the DPF to be about 50% full. I've never seen this before...if any of you have the patience to pull over when you have the "regen in progress" message and just hold the truck in Drive with your foot on the brake...I suspect when the regen cancels it will tell you the true filter level. As soon as I got moving again, the message reappeared and the regen finished.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So my 2019 was doing a regen last night and I had to sit at an accident scene during the regen for an extended period. I never put the truck in park, instead keeping my foot on the brake while in Drive. After some time (7-8 minutes, maybe?) the message on the DPF screen about a regeneration in progress went away, revealing the gauge showing the DPF to be about 50% full. I've never seen this before...if any of you have the patience to pull over when you have the "regen in progress" message and just hold the truck in Drive with your foot on the brake...I suspect when the regen cancels it will tell you the true filter level. As soon as I got moving again, the message reappeared and the regen finished.
Have had the gauge on when the regeneration started. Message the whole time. At the end the gauge came back on with no reading on the gauge. The fact you had one at 50% tells me that gauge can be moved out of the "zero" range.

Just never saw it ever anywhere on the scale.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts