Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a new dodge, 08 2500 4x4 auto, quad cab sport. I am not impressed with the mileage as most am getting anywhere from 15-17mpg on the highway (14.7l/100kms for the canadian brothers) and although not terribly aweful with the proce of diesel anywhere from 1.14/- 1.29/L I definatly want something better. Anyways....one of the diesel shops here says they will install the dpf delete with a "chip" to eliminate the codes, when they get them in stock later this month..blahblahblah. I am a mechanic and would rather do it myself like most everything else on my vehicles and started asking what the kits consisted of and after being given vague answers the guy told me they had never really done one yet. LMAO All they had ever done was research haha.

So my questions are, where is the best place to order from, preferably canadian supplier due to border delays? What is the "chip" to eliminate soft codes? is it something to plug into the OBD port like some of the older programmers for GM's? And most relevant what do the kits consist of? This is my first diesel truck and typically I am a GM guy but could not stand the looks of the 900 platform gm/chevs and have always loved the looks of the dodge and the cummins is always been a kick motor. Otherwise I LOVE MY TRUCK. I am also thinking about getting the edge w/juice programmer. One last question has anyone done just the dpf delete and figured out manually the mileage?

My mileage calculations are always done by myself and I have found that when reset at fill times, they are pretty accurate. When most of my driving is on the highway it actually reads better then the overhead reads, but in the city is WAY worse. just my two cents extra.

Thanks for any input and I hope to be a contributor to this forum as much as a reader.

·
Registered
475 Posts
They are probably waiting on the BAPD CODE FREE as you should also, then diy.

You should expect 4-5 mpg increase with the dpf delete.

There is alot of great info on this cummins forum read away, trust no-one else!!!!! ....lol!

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
You getting 15-17 stock seems to be in the higher end of most already. I am getting 17 with my current mods and mostly city driving. there are only 2 known DPF delete manufacturers. H&S Performance and Bay Area Diesel Performance. H&S in contacted by email only @ [email protected] and BADP is located on the web @ deletedpf.com. Good luck and enjoy the truck.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
NADP in edmonton ,alberta sells H&S kits and an Edge with Att. to cleal the codes on start up

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so does is it rumors about badp code free or something happening in the near future

Is there a code free dpf eliminate coming out soon, i know that these things are always works in progress...lol But being a mechanic I don't think i could stand driving with a ses on long highway trips just a pet peeve that comes with the trade i guess ;). I would definatly be okay with waiting a bit if I knew the kit was coming in the near future and would much rather do it myself.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Is there a code free dpf eliminate coming out soon, i know that these things are always works in progress...lol But being a mechanic I don't think i could stand driving with a ses on long highway trips just a pet peeve that comes with the trade i guess ;). I would definatly be okay with waiting a bit if I knew the kit was coming in the near future and would much rather do it myself.

I believe there is a thread on here that says the Code Free DPF kit can be pre ordered and they will begin shipping first part of June:woot:

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2008 Ram 2500 QCSB, 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
2,457 Posts
The "chip" that your local shop was referring to is the Edge Juice w/Attitude monitor. With the current DPF delete kits, the Edge will clear the soft codes at vehicle startup so you won't have the MIL on (for that reason, anyway) while driving the truck. If you wait for the code free module to become available, it will consist of a straight pipe to replace the DPF as well as a module that plugs into the sensors and will be attached to the frame under the truck. This kit will not throw any type of codes (theoretically) and will be completely plug and play. The Edge Juice w/Attitude will no longer be needed to clear soft codes at startup. Either way, I think you are probably looking at a 3-5mpg increase. I have the money sitting in my bank account that was waiting for the code free module but, after hearing multiple reports of Texas DPS officers checking the underside of trucks for emissions equipment lately, think I am just going to have to put that money towards fuel and leave it be. It would have to take an AWFUL lot of fuel savings to justify the cost of the unit as well as a "defeating emissions equipment" ticket which can carry some pretty hefty fines.

Anyway, hope this helps to answer some of your initial questions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a thought on the "checking for epa stuff", has anyone cut open a dpf pulled out the guts then tigged it back together to give a stock appearance??? Might be worth looking into if they are just shooting a visual.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2008 Ram 2500 QCSB, 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
2,457 Posts
couple of guys tried it a few months back, was bad juju. With a modern delete kit it wouldn't be a bad idea other than the fact that a new one is around $2200 and, heaven forbid, the Great Nation of Texas starts putting wands up tailpipes, I don't want to have to buy another one to put on to meet emissions standards. If i were to remove it, it would be tucked away nice and safe in my garage. The only way I would remove it now, however, is if I could fab up a "lookalike" that gave the impression of a DPF but was hollow inside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
where can you find the dpf delete kit

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts