Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the most hit on thing here, but after spending a few hours reading, I still haven't found exactly what I was looking for as for answers.

1) What I want is a full kit that is code free, I know BADP has a Gen 2 out that is and they are on Pre-sale until the 14th. But I have read some mixed responses about H&S having a code free kit.

2) Then I am trying to figure out if I should get just the DPF delete pipe, or the turbo back? I was looking at the truck and the elbow after the turbo looks like it is expanded some like it holds some type of pre-cat? I am only going with a 4" pipe as I don't plan on am major power upgrades, mostly MPGs with some power. I am not worried about sound as the truck sounds good as it is, louder is still ok, but I am not looking for sound.

3) Or can I piece something together, like get the downpipe/delete pipe from one place, but use the code free box from another?

As for what I currently have, everything is still stock except for a Edge Juice w/Attitude and turbo baffle removed. But I want a kit that is plug and play, and can be removed/installed easily (as in bolt in/clamp on design) so when emissions rolls around I can swap it out.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
You should get a full TBE exhaust. Yes there is a Cat in the Downpipe. With just the delete pipe it doesnt remove that cat. A 4" system should be just fine. BADP is the only one to officially have a Code Free out. PDI/H&S is said to have one, but as you have found out there is no confirmation of it.

·
Diesel Jedi
246 Posts
You should get a full TBE exhaust. Yes there is a Cat in the Downpipe. With just the delete pipe it doesnt remove that cat. A 4" system should be just fine. BADP is the only one to officially have a Code Free out. PDI/H&S is said to have one, but as you have found out there is no confirmation of it.

Does that first CAT have any affect on mpg and power?

·
Registered
69 Posts
That Cat is just more restriction..the less restriction, the better.. i was reluctant on buying the tbe vs. just the delete pipe..but once i saw the cat in the downpipe im glad i bought it..

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
That Cat is just more restriction..the less restriction, the better.. i was reluctant on buying the tbe vs. just the delete pipe..but once i saw the cat in the downpipe im glad i bought it..
Dead on.:thumbsup

·
Diesel Jedi
246 Posts
I am paranoid about deleting all of that useless emmissions equipment. I live CA. and it is to say the least weird over here. I would love to do it though.

·
Unreconstructed
6,316 Posts
One fact about turbo-diesel engines is:

The turbo by itself causes enough back-pressure to properly run a turbo-diesel engine.

So, anything after the turbo, adds more restriction (de-rates the vehicle's performance, and fuel-mileage).

All it boils down to is...ANYTHING after the turbo (minus exhaust pipe the same diameter (or larger) as the exhaust outlet on the turbo's turbine-side), causes restriction...PERIOD! Plain and simple!

So, the free-er flowing that your exhaust is...the more HP, TQ, and MPG's you'll gain!!!!

The only thing that will decrease is your EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperature)...which IS a GOOD thing!!! Especially if you're planning on towing alot!

That is why almost every towing/performance 5.9 truck has at least a 4" Turbo-back exhaust system on it!

** One other option that is available is the IP&D (Infinite Power & Design) DPF and EGR delete kit.

It's kind of pricey...but if you call Shawn @ IP&D [ (814) 447-2828 ], he will explain to you why it costs more, and what it actually does.

If you want to read more about it before you call...check out the thread: "IP&D DPF and EGR delete", posted by allace.

I think I will probably be purchasing the IP&D setup for my truck...the only reason I haven't yet, is because I don't have the money right now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what I was thinking, just not a big fan of the extra $200 or so, but with the price of fuel I need everything I can get.

I am paranoid about deleting all of that useless emmissions equipment. I live CA. and it is to say the least weird over here. I would love to do it though.
Don't worry, I am in AZ and they have most of the same stupid test. So I figure when it is time to go in to get tested I will just swap the complete exhaust around. And if I do EGR, take the block off plate out. I don't have a issue spending a few hours under the truck once a year if it will save me money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you want to save the 200, try grinder with cutting wheel. Open it up and do open heart surgery and then weld it back together. I did not want to spend the 200 and that is what I wound up doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts