Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-I have had my DPF delete for about 6 months now and I have a bully dog tr. dog.
-In performance mode my truck smokes so much, I feel bad for the people behind me.
-My last truck was a 5.9 w a superchip and the thing never smoked unless I stomped it.
-Is this the same with everyone else or what??
-Has anyone taken the cat off and noticed a big difference in smell of the burned diesel?

thanks

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Some get better smoke then others. Yes you will notice the smell of burning diesel. All sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what i am saying is, the truck smokes up the whole intersection even in stock mode.
What I meant about the cat was, does the truck smell more like a 5.9 with it off? My 5.9 had a clean smell to it, my 6.7 smells like a coal pit.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Well mine seems to have the typical Diesel smell. No worse then normal. As far as smoke, yours seems to put out a lot more then the average one. Something is different. I get just a little tiny bit of smoke when i get on it with everything cranked up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
actually before i even bought the edge mine would still put out quite a bit of smoke just running around town.....taking off from a stop light would create enough smoke to where 3 cars behind me would def. notice it.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
what i am saying is, the truck smokes up the whole intersection even in stock mode.
What I meant about the cat was, does the truck smell more like a 5.9 with it off? My 5.9 had a clean smell to it, my 6.7 smells like a coal pit.

Sound like your Egr is not working right.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had the same thing, it was like the truck was slowly exhauling black smoke when I took off from intersections, last night that all changed, I just deleted my EGR! Wow, I have no smoke under normal driving, with the edge on 3, the TS at 50% and the SC performance tune loaded. The truck drives much better, my EGT's stay under 800 on the highway and the only time it smokes is if I get on it hard, then it's just a little puff till the boost builds. I love the way the truck drives now! It takes about 5 more miles for it to get up to temperature but it's well worth it. Oh yeah, my edge has the timing option.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mine too, must have something to do with the egr.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TOO much smoke!!

Yeah, in my 5.9 I was begging for smoke and I had a Superchip flashpaq.

On my 6.7 I went from no mods to chip, dpf delete intake and muffler delete in one day. Then it smoked more than any other diesel I have seen.

It has to be the EGR. I am going to delete it immediately. I will post the results. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you have a shop in Tampa do all of the work? I am looking for somebody close to Daytona to do a delete, chip, intake and egr removal for me. This truck sucks stock.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Did you have a shop in Tampa do all of the work? I am looking for somebody close to Daytona to do a delete, chip, intake and egr removal for me. This truck sucks stock.
I dont think your going to find a shop to take it off for ya.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Regen Smell

I would guess I am going into regen since most of my driving is unloaded city/suburban during the week, but how do I know? Occasionally the lie-o-meter drops a bit, but then it flattens out. I've heard it might smell, but what would it smell like? Would it also smell really hot? And, how long is a typical regen?
Thanks all!

·
Registered
125 Posts
when u r in regen and u get out of ur truck u will notice a hot sorta smell like something is burning. almost like hot brakes. i think newaze. or atleast mine will

·
Registered
47 Posts
def let us know on the egr deal. i did my own delete and with the power pup up at performance i can't see the car behind me at an intersection if i stomp it. i'm worried a cop is gonna see it one day.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What does DPF stand for?

·
Registered
47 Posts
diesel particulate filter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts