Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does these exhaust help anything be honest now? I know you dont gain sound but you do get rid of the muffler which is a straight through design so the only thing I would think does it really help EGTs that much?? I wouldnt want to loose my warranty so this could be another route to go I was thinking 5" DPF back an a Intake with EGR unpluged! Please tell me what you think on the exhaust.:thumbsup:

· Registered
38 Posts
As restrictive as the dpf, cat, nox crap is, you could put a 8" tailpipe on it and it'd make no egt difference. When we speak of egt's, we want the figure to come from the manifold. So by leaving the "crap" on these trucks, the "manifold egt" will be the same. Now speaking of tailpipe egt's, haha, you may lower a little with a 5" pipe, but who cares about that. Just my .02

Although a 5" looks awesome, it's just not worth it in my opinion b/c it's mearly for looks.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
One thing a DPF-back exhaust does do is lower the tailpipe temp during a regeneration. So, unless you have small children and animals hanging out at your tailpipe during a regeneration - I don't see the point of buying one.

Plus, they are extremely expensive as well - with no benefit.

· Registered
47 Posts
I''ll sell my Magnaflow DPF Back with no Muffler for 200.00 + shipping. If someone is interested PM me and I'll send pictures of it.

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
Don't waste your money on a DPF back delete. If you want to put some ignormous tip on for the Bling factor then go ahead. Functionally not worth it. The existing muffler does nothing except slow down the exhuast to lower the air temps during regen. Doesn't do well there either. I told my 24 year old son the truck was in regen. What does he do??? Stick his hand at the tailpipe. :doh: "OUCH! DAM THAT's HOT!" :lol4::hehe::lol4:

· Regen? What's That??
1,077 Posts
Agreed.. I went this route on mine first.. but it made ZERO effect on EGTs, or really even sound.

The only thing it did was looked better.

So when I finally got my DPF delete, I retrofitted the two to work together.

Now my truck is a much happier truck. =)

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Does these exhaust help anything be honest now? I know you dont gain sound but you do get rid of the muffler which is a straight through design so the only thing I would think does it really help EGTs that much?? I wouldnt want to loose my warranty so this could be another route to go I was thinking 5" DPF back an a Intake with EGR unpluged! Please tell me what you think on the exhaust.:thumbsup:
Just pull the muffler off, then add in a 4" SS pipe. I did that the first week I bought the truck. You will notice almost no difference in noise or tone. If you do you have very good ears.

It is a total waste to purchase a "DPF BACK KIT".

· Premium Member
265 Posts
agree, the dpf back kits aren't worth it at all...Money would be better spent on even a 4" downpipe and dpf delete and then go with either a smarty or xrt.. or even the wiring harness fooler kit if you really want...There's lot's of supporting vendors on here that would love to answer any questions for ya..

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
Agreed.. I went this route on mine first.. but it made ZERO effect on EGTs, or really even sound.

The only thing it did was looked better.

So when I finally got my DPF delete, I retrofitted the two to work together.

Now my truck is a much happier truck. =)
Me too. When I bought the DPF back exhaust BADP hadn't even released GEN 1 yet. So I though it was the way to go. Made no difference in anything except looks. Now, I know I bought an expensive set of exhaust tips. I will keep it though, and just throw a delete pipe in. Live and learn, and slow down a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.