Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size are the heads on the 2 bolts on the factory downpipe of a 2002 24 valve(13mm or 1/2inch)

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Pretty sure it was metric, but I can't remember for certain. I soaked mine with Kroil for about three days and then hit it from underneath with a 1/2" impact wrench on a long extension and 120lbs of air. I would recommend a six point socket.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
i though it was a 12 point metric socket needed......but it was a few years ago and i can remember 100%

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i called my local diesel performance guy and he said he thinks its a 13mm but a half inch fits also , he said he usually does it from the top with a deep well 6 point socket and a flex head ratchet, i think maybe the 1/2 inch socket doesnt sit all the way down on the head of the bolt and the 13mm does, that must be the difference

·
Registered
349 Posts
It is a 13mm just soak them a few days before with panther piss (penetrating oil) and they will come right out with an impact and long extensions. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i cant soak them for a few days its my daily driver, i think i can wrestle them from the top like my buddies did... thanks for the help i thought maybe 13mm fit better, ill hit them with pb blaster and let them soak for a while

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
On mine, one practically fell out and the other was all I could turn with my impact wrench to the last thread.

·
Not like the others......
5,078 Posts
i cant soak them for a few days its my daily driver
Just spray them anyway, it won't hurt anything. I'd soak'em for 2-3 days.
If it is a 1/2", then a 13mm may be a little tight.
If it is 13mm, then a 1/2" may be a little loose. Just use which ever one fits the tightest since they may be tough to break loose, you don't want to round the nut off. :thumbsup

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well 13mm is bigger than 1/2 inch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts