Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

dowl pin ?

1341 Views 19 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  MDowns
can some one tell me about the (dowl ? ) pin please do I need to worry about it I have a 99 24 valve with 265,000 and I just hurd about this should I be worring please help
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
585 Posts
Yes, it can be a problem for you, earlier 24v are more supseptible,,,, Search engine is a good thing on this site.... do a search for KDP or Killer Dowl Pin. I think Mopar1973Man has a write up on it as well.

· Registered
585 Posts
Think Geno's sells a kit.... but I wouldnt spend the money,,,, in reality,,, a dab of RTV over the hole will suffice, most folks remove the case bolt next to it and fabricate a small metal tab that when the bolt is re-installed will reach over and cover the dowl hole..... again,,,, do a search, and read the FAQ files.... Mopar1973Man if I am not mistaken has a write up with pics.

Reactions: DA-DAWG

· Registered
4,160 Posts
you dont reallt have to worry about them on the 24V its more of a 12V thing

Reactions: DA-DAWG

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I Have Put The Edge Juice With Attitude , 150 Fass , 5 In Dual Exaust , Ladder Bars , Rebuilt The 5 Speed , And I Am Always Pulling About 18,000 Daily What Other Up Grades Do You Sudgest To Help Her Along ?

· Registered
4,160 Posts
I Have Put The Edge Juice With Attitude , 150 Fass , 5 In Dual Exaust , Ladder Bars , Rebuilt The 5 Speed , And I Am Always Pulling About 18,000 Daily What Other Up Grades Do You Sudgest To Help Her Along ?
A bigger turbo like a 62/12 or 64/12 and some 100hp injectors would be nice....

· Registered
4,160 Posts
not unless you turn the turbo up above 45-50psi

· COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM
2,556 Posts
400-450 HP is also another good rule of thumb

· Registered
1,300 Posts
you don't really have to worry about them on the 24V its more of a 12V thing
That's not good information. More than one 24 valve has lost the KDP. There has been a dealer repair order posted for an '02 that lost it with a considerable amount of damage. ALL 24 valves are susceptible, although less so than a 12 valve. Only way to know for sure is to pull the cover and check.

· Registered
52 Posts
Killer dowl pin

If you get onto spiketv.com they just had a show on saturday about the KDP and the best, easiest, cheapest way to fix it. It was step by step too. It was on a 12-valve but pretty much the same.

· Registered
280 Posts
That's not good information. More than one 24 valve has lost the KDP. There has been a dealer repair order posted for an '02 that lost it with a considerable amount of damage. ALL 24 valves are susceptible, although less so than a 12 valve. Only way to know for sure is to pull the cover and check.
i disagree. a very good friend of mine works for cummins in ridgway and he swears that a 24 valve has no pin

· Registered
1,300 Posts
i disagree. a very good friend of mine works for cummins in ridgway and he swears that a 24 valve has no pin
I can guarantee he is wrong. Just ask Dave (fishing2deep4u). He has posted a dealer repair bill for a KDP repair on his Dad's '02. I have met Dave and know it's true. This has happened to more than one also. The 24 valves do have the pin but most of them have a case cover that prevents it from backing out. Not all of them do. Tell your friend so he knows too. One of my Army buds is a big wig with Cummins back in Indiana and he tells me the same thing but I suspect that's just the factory story. My guess is the assembly line just kept using the 12 valve covers until they ran out of them. Some were probably mixed in with later ones and ended up with a mixed bag which is how a few got installed on some as late as '02's. Just my guess on that.

· Registered
731 Posts
i have an 01 ho and it hadnt been tabbed..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.