Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been researching a bunch and looking to get a few questions answered. I am going to be installing a Jensen CR271ML double din headunit linked here:

into my 2007 Ram 2500. It is a base radio, no NAV or amplified Infinity system. I've looked at all the trim kit options and I want to go with the Amazon CDK651CP trim kit linked here:

The reviews of the kit are good but not so much on the wiring harness adapter. Some say it works, some say it doesn't. One guy said it works if you have the base radio like me. Crutchfield told me I have to buy some fancy interface module and the harness for it (nearly doubling my cost). I asked why since I don't have any of the things it claims it's for (steering wheel controls, amplifier, etc.). They told me they've had issues in the past with people who they sold the cheap regular wiring kit to then they had a wire in the dash that after months it just quit working. That's total BS.... Seems to me most likely they wanted a one size fits all for all setups, so it's easier for them. But, does anyone know for sure if the cheapo wiring kit will work on my base model? Is there something I'm missing or overlooking?

I appreciate the help in advance.

·
2,215 Posts
After installing my double din kenwood in my first truck with the Maestro RR w/CH2 Chrysler adapter ill never use anything else again. So easy. Good instructions and you hook it up to your laptop to configure your steering wheel radio control buttons very easily. I've got it in both these trucks

If you don't have steering wheel radio controls then a basic harness like you have will probably work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used the Metra XSVI-6522.Mine originally came with the base radio like yours.

Part of the reason I did this was I'd planned to add steering wheel controls and this allows them to work through CANBUS if the truck is setup properly.

I actually went another way and installed the steering wheel controls bypassing everything in the truck. Adding Steering Wheel Controls Alternate Method, XM with...

The simple harness you have should work fine if you don't have any other plans since there's no interface to the CAN system. Their experience may just be that it's a cheap harness and not built very well (poor crimps etc).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the input and completely understand if I had those features like steering wheel controls, etc. that I would need and want that module.

DaveB, what is involved with wiring up that module? That one is like half the price of the crutchfield one. I'm probably going to try the cheap connector but if there's issue I'll want another solution. I think the only thing I may not get with the cheap connector is the retained accessory power (accessories stay on for some time even after you turn the key off), which isn't really a big deal. What all is needed to wire that module in?

·
2,215 Posts
I appreciate the input and completely understand if I had those features like steering wheel controls, etc. that I would need and want that module.

DaveB, what is involved with wiring up that module? That one is like half the price of the crutchfield one. I'm probably going to try the cheap connector but if there's issue I'll want another solution. I think the only thing I may not get with the cheap connector is the retained accessory power (accessories stay on for some time even after you turn the key off), which isn't really a big deal. What all is needed to wire that module in?
Only solder and shrink sleeve. Its fairly easy to do. Some shops will do the soldering for you if you bring in the harnesses and are not comfortable doing it yourself. Do not recommend using cheap crimp connectors.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Metra one I had is plug and play then just make the connections to the harness provided by the radio.

In regards to the crimps I'm referring to the ones performed by the manufacturer where the pin is crimped to the wire and inserted into the connector, they're pretty much all that way. That may be why Crutchfield mentioned that, the manufacturer may not have made good crimps.

Either way, I'd not suggest hacking up the factory connector to splice into the radio harness. Nothing wrong with trying the harness provided in your link first.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah definitely not going to hack up the factory wiring. I'm going to try the cheap wiring kit and see if it works before buying a module. Really don't think I need it, it should only be for the upgraded options. Thanks for the tips. I'll check the harness and connectors over to ensure they're good connections.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have a wiring diagram/pinout for the radio connectors on a 2007 ram 2500? Base radio. It's an 07 not 07.5 if that matters? I've attached pictures of the radio connectors. My dash kit came today and yep the pinout on it isn't right. Other than the speaker wires, the grounds, and the power wires, no other wires are even pinned in locations that match up with other wires... I specifically need to know what the 2 wires right in the center of the large connector are and what the 3 wires in the small connector are. I have a service manual but it's for an 08, not sure the wiring is the same...

Also, bought this black radio bezel on ebay, think it's going to look real good cleaned up and all matching with the black radio trim kit.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Wood
Finger Electrical wiring Thumb Cable Wire
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check out the12volt.com for wiring. As I recall on my '06, I used the cheap harness adapter. The power is controlled by the CAN bus. To get around that and not buy the expensive version, I ran the power off the cigarette lighter. No RAP but no big deal. I did add SWC later and had to add a box for that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. After further researched and finding I could use the cigarette lighter wire as a signal for the radio turn on, I finally decided on the cheaper PAC module on amazon for like $66. Part number c2r-chy4, seems to work for these year trucks and isn't crazy expensive. It's plug and play, and it'll retain RAP, which isn't a big deal, but this should just be easier and quicker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts