Cummins Diesel Forum banner

DOT General Grabbers are out

10K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  oscar_ac50 
#1 ·
Just an FYI...

The new DOT version of the General Grabber Projects are out. These things kick A$$ in the dirt but I'm waiting for a few more on road reviews...and DOT 37''s before I give them a try. The E rated 35''s should give the Toyos a run for their money.

See less See more
#3 ·
LOL...Pretty darn good from what I've seen. The race version is getting really popular. Everyone from BJ Baldwin to Jerry Zaiden and Jason Campbell (Camburg guys) to even Kent Kroeker (KORE) is running them on their trucks. There are tons of guys that have been waiting for the street version. I really want to give them a try but a few people said the race version was LOUD and didnt balance very well on the street. The DOT version supposedly doesnt have these problems. They should be a great all around on/offroad tire and the SUPER thick sidewalls should be great for towing.

If they can hold up to 100+ mph down the barstow main they should be able to hold up to whatever I can throw at them. LOL

Testing the Camburg Racing General Tire Trophy Truck 5-5-2010 on Vimeo

#4 ·
...wow..

...I love the tread pattern! Hopefully these will get a lot of reviews before I need to replace my trail grapplers.....

#5 ·
I'm ordering a set an throwing them on some H2's but yea don't think they will be loud for the simple fact that they will be a radial, I'm pretty sure the projects are bias b/c I have nitto projects on my titan an they scream on the road b/c there bias tires..
Just my thinking but could be wrong

#6 ·
What rim sizes are they avail in.... What about pricing..

#7 ·
I don't know where your located but I'm geTting mine from 4wheel parts there havin deals on them an they can tell u sizes an pricing, an with a set of tires there throwin in a free gps but only for limited time...

#8 ·
Nice. These came out just in time. I need new tires something fierce, and these are badazz. Gonna have to get me a set of 35's. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
ooooooooooo :drool2: :drool2: I know whats goin on my list :D

#11 ·
If they work as good as the race version look out! They are BA tires.

#14 ·
Not yet.

I'm still running Toyos on the Ranger and the Yokos on my Ram. Love these yoko ATS but want something with a more aggressive tread and stronger sidewalls next time. When these DOT generals are out in a 37'' they will probably be my next tire but I would like some long term reviews on the street first.

I know a few guys that ran the NON-DOT General Project 37'' tires on the street and they said they were LOUD and didnt balance/wear all that well. I hope the DOT version is better.

#16 ·
Petersen's 4Wheeler just published a good article on the DOT GG's in the last issue. Noise and balance were not an issue. They worked great in SoCal conditions,but the unknown was ice and mud. The big question though is,will the letters turn pink with age. I stole that line off of the DTX site.

#17 ·
my dad has loved these since we saw the competition ones come out...he has a silver truck with red and black striping on it so i cant wait to have the red lettering showing

#25 ·
Anyone thats worried about the red letering can go to the parts store and get paint pens for a few bucks and paint the letters whichever color you want.. I used to do this to my old pete, even painted the rubber mat floor decals red and white and it stuck forever!! Pretty sweet looking blue pete with blue lettering on the wheels!! Catches plenty of attention!!

#28 ·
I picked up a set a few weeks ago (35/12.50/17's), paid $295 each. Haven't been off road yet, so far on the street I think they're just a hair louder than the BFG's they replaced, but the truck seems to corner better, I'm guessing due to less sidewall flex than the D rated BFG's. Forgot to tell them to mount them red letters in, so they're on the outside. Good thing my truck is red, or they would be re-mounting them! Actually the red letters look kinda cool on it.
I'm planning a dune trip either the last weekend of Sept or the first week of October, depending on the weather. Plan to air them down and put them thru their paces. Full report will follow. At 15psi front/12 rear the BFG's were pretty good, can't wait to see how the General's do!

#30 ·
I'm still borderline on the Grabber or the Nitto Trail Grapplers. My buddy bought the Grabbers for his Duramax and he said they ride like chit until 55mph and then they balance out. My other buddy is the head shop guy at 4 wheel parts out here and he said they don't balance worth a chit but the Nitto's are flawless according to him.

#31 ·
Man, that is disappointing...I think thats the first bad thing I have heard about the grabbers. I was pretty much sold on them until I read this. I was ready to get the Trail Grapplers a about a week ago until I saw that the grabbers had a better price.

Now I'm confused again.

#32 ·
Well after Talkin to a couple guys about the grabbers they said the 1st batch came out had balancing issues and they haven't seen a set in a while come back.. So I ordered the 35x12.5x17's yesterday. Pickn them up Friday!!

#33 ·
i got my tracking info figured out today from discount...mine are supposed to come on friday.

I've had a set of H2's getting some powder on them and they are supposed to be done tomorrow. Hopefully I can pick them up then or thursday.

I was thinking of getting the Grabbers 'road force balanced' on the H2's. I realize that the Grabbers aren't supposed to have any balancing issues, and the H2's are supposed to be a nicely made wheel, but I figured that since I'm planning on upgrading my suspension for the ultimate road ride that I shouldn't skimp on the balancing.

Has anyone had a set of wheels/tires road force balanced before? Comments or why to do/not to do it?

#34 ·
for anyone wondering discount tire direct is the cheapest place ive found for these so far as well. looked right at $1k shipped to missouri for a set.

#35 ·
I've got a set of H2's on my truck and they gotta be machined to fit over the hub. I did mine with a router and a carbide endmill and WD40. The only issue is balancing these wheels. 99.9% balancing machines are hub centered and if you don't get a machine shop to open the hub out to a perfect circle, you can't get a true balance of any tire. I'm using my H2 rims for sled pulling with some 33x12.50 STS's and I'm not worried about balancing issues lol. Just giving you the heads up... I'm sure you already knew lo

#36 ·
Thanks. I had the hubs opened up and also had the ring that holds the center cap on taken off. I'm hoping to pick them up today from getting the powder put on. Gun metal grey.

#42 ·
Update from this ^ well I didn't actually have mileage written down in front of me now but I'm not satisfied with these tires as far as wear... I haven't driven a whole lot with this truck nor done any burn outs. The wear is fairly quick! I will not be going back with these again unless they are given to me, which will never happen... I'll check tomorrow of mileage from the date I posted back in 2010 from my oil change log.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.