Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks easy enough to get the door hinges and bushings out on my 1993 Ram, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to put another brass bushing in there without just mushing it up?

I see those pin/brass bushing kits they sell and they're cheap, making it a good simple upgrade to the truck, and I took a pin and brass bushing out of a hinge in a junkyard, just not sure how I could hammer a busing in, doubt it would work that wya.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I have installed the brass bushings in with a hammer. Buy an extra set. You will probably crack one or 2 bushings. Go gently. You are trying to drive them in not force them in. The real key is driving them in perfectly straight. An angle will take a bushing away.

You do not need or want a heavy hammer. There is also a special bushing install tool. It has a machined down neck where the middle fits almost perfectly and the next step sits above the bushing. That makes it much harder to crack a bushing. I expect the tool would cost much more than the extra bushings would.

This gives you an idea of what that tool looks like.
Door Hinge Bushing Removal and Installation Tool

As I said, I have installed bushings before without a tool. Just expect one or 2 bushings to break. My local carquest auto body supply shop sells the bushings individually. That could be cheaper or more expensive compared to buying a kit.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
A bolt, a washer a nut and a socket slightly larger than the bushing. Put the bolt thought the bushing, place bushing in hole, put socket on other side, install nut and tighten slowly.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just used a small hammer to drive them in. On the hinges I noted to holes, the bushing slid in with no resistance, and were easy to turn by hand. I used some vice grips to squeeze an indention to tighten up the bushing fitment, rather than buy new hinges.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
once you have replaced them , apply used motor oil, itll save them from wearing out again

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just did this on the driver side and it was very easy and the door opens and shuts a lot smoother, preventing wear on the latch and door panel by pulling too hard.

I'll give the steps incase anyone was thinking of doing it.

1) Scribe where the door hinges sit on the door so when you take them off you can put them in the exact same spot.
2) Take long chisel to bottom of bottom door hinge pin and hammer pin out.
3) Remove the bottom door hinge part that bolts onto the door and take the 2 bushing out. I used a screwdriver and hammer.
4) Get something such as a table that sits at the same height as the door and prop the door open and set it on the table
5) Unbolt the 2 bolts where the top door hinge bolts to the door.
6) drive the top pin out and remove the door hinge
7) Take the top bushings out. I was able to take a straight slot screwdriver and pry them out by prying around where the bushing has the cut in it.
8) install new bushings in top hinge.
9) Put the top door hinge back on and drive the pin in.
10) Then bolt the top door hinge to the door.
11) Do the same for the bottom hinge

Notes: Power door locks/windows and had a bunch of wires going to my door that were long enough to just set my door on the rubber rub rail on the body. If you don't have that rub rail you may want to take the door completely off so you don't scratch anything.

The Doorman bushings I got did not need to be pressed in, they just sat in there.

All in all a very simple job, and inexpensive fix.

Now I just need to work on taking my windshield out to put the new dash in.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
The dash will come out without removing the windshield.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
If I remembered correctly a universal joint or wobble extension would reach them. It has been a lot of years though and I might be remembering wrong.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
to remove dash you have too cut windshield rubber around bolt's on dash I want too say there are 7 screw's 5/16 head

1 - 10 of 10 Posts