Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well say my engine has less then 180,000 am i hurting it when i take it up to 3,000 rpm's somtimes a hair over that i only hold it there for a few seconds ive heard of the p-pumped 12valve guys taking theres up around 4'000 oh and how do the 12valve oil pumps keep up at these rpm's?????

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your talking about a cummins here :peelout

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know there really stout just would like to hear what other folks had to say....so lets hear it.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I've ran over 100 miles straight without dropping the engine below 3000 RPM. Seems okay still.

Not that I'd recommend it... Can't be good the the injection pump... But it can be done for a few thousand miles at least.

Now I have seen the glories of overdrive.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha wow i think i would have been kinda scared to do that but you say its ok..must have been runing from the cops LOL...what was the pyro and boost at???

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
With no overdrive, 3000 RPM equates to around 85 MPH...

Pyro holds about 1200 and boost is around 15 at 85 MPH. And I get 12 MPG.

Overdrive is a really nice thing to have on the highway. Now I'm at 2200 RPM going 85, with the same pyro and boost readings and a tad better mileage.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what gears do you have in the rear diff?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I still have the 3.08's that came with the stock 3-speed transmission, only now I have an overdrive transmission.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I bounce mine to 3600 all the time. I don't know if its hurtin stuff but o well. rev that baby. A guy in town has a ve b series in a boat and he said it will turn to 3600. I think he has the wrong wheel " prop " on it. 3 k won't hurt a thing. Put some heavy valve springs on and 4 k is sustainable. Thats what I am gonna do to mine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've hit 4k with mine a few times. Not very often though, as it just doesn't sound right. 3k is no big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts