Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the 6.7 back from the dealer the egr system was plugged completely.
Dodge told dealer to tell us not to use the high idle unless under a [email protected] PTO accessory that we don't have.
This truck has been smelling terrible even the shop opened the doors.
The oil change required light came on again 5th time in 11000 miles.
What are we going to do when these trucks are out of warrantee. Good luck.
mitch

·
HI
3,442 Posts
im confused. the high idle is for warm up purposes. how can you idle under load. plus the high idle on the 6.7 is good to keep the dpf cleand isnt it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought. I donot let it sit and idle for extended peroids say any longer than 5 min. and usually when cold to keep the dam dpf from plugging up. Good luck.
We have a ranch and try idleing around the mountain side for a while with a load of wood on her and the dam thing says I got to quit what im doing and drive it 50 miles down the road at 50mph. This is garbage.
Mitch

·
HI
3,442 Posts
Thats what I thought. I donot let it sit and idle for extended peroids say any longer than 5 min. and usually when cold to keep the dam dpf from plugging up. Good luck.
We have a ranch and try idleing around the mountain side for a while with a load of wood on her and the dam thing says I got to quit what im doing and drive it 50 miles down the road at 50mph. This is garbage.
Mitch
our 6.7 c& c sits all the time idleing and we havent had any probs with it yet.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
our 6.7 c& c sits all the time idleing and we havent had any probs with it yet.
That just it C&C's can do it, but the regluar trucks can't.

Why did they not make them the same?:thud:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
That just it C&C's can do it, but the regluar trucks can't.

Why did they not make them the same?:thud:
I have 130,000 miles on my 6.7L and haven't had any problems. Granted I tow every day with it BUT it ideals atleast 8 straight hours every night @ either the truck stops or rest stops. I have only had the Catalyst warning come on 3 times and it only got 80% full. No other times have I had any kind of issue. The motor has 3300 hours on it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow 5 times in 11k miles. I changed my oil at 3k and it wasn't ready yet. I have only used the high idle a couple times for warm up on very cold mornings. I do not idle very much at all and take the rig out atleast once a week for a nice 140 mile round trip to our ranch. At almost 5k miles now and not even a CEL.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Wow 5 times in 11k miles. I changed my oil at 3k and it wasn't ready yet. I have only used the high idle a couple times for warm up on very cold mornings. I do not idle very much at all and take the rig out atleast once a week for a nice 140 mile round trip to our ranch. At almost 5k miles now and not even a CEL.
I am on the 3rd trip to a dealer for cels and I don't idle much and drive 50 miles one way to work all on freeway, which is 45min to an hour.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sounds to me from everything I have been reading the people that are having the problems with turbos, cel, this that and the other are the ones that buy these diesels and then drive the to and from work back and forth to the grocery store, etc.

These motors aren't meant to be used for roundtrips to the grocery store. These motors are built to work and work hard. From the guys I have talked to on the road that actually use and work the hell out of the motor haven't had any problems with the trucks. I have the early 07' 6.7L and it has never been to the shop for any problems. I had the o2 sensor recall and a computer flash done and that's it. I change the oil every 7500 (every week basically). BEFORE YOU GET TO 60K make sure you change out the crank case filter. If not a "perform service" light will come on on the overhead console. Only way to clear that is from the dealer @ they charge 1/2 to flash the computer. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The High idle is not ment for "warm up periods", it's ment for PTO functions that do place a load on your truck. Don't use it if you don't need it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The High idle is not ment for "warm up periods", it's ment for PTO functions that do place a load on your truck. Don't use it if you don't need it. Just my 2 cents.

The 68re doesn't have a pto, as i understand high idle is better for warm up and doesn't show as idle time in the computer, I use it (winter only) and have not had a problem with my truck.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was told by a Dodge Diesel Tech that "this motor (6.7L) has lower combustion temperatures (when compared to a 5.9L), and having the motor at 1000 rpms will help with warm-up and potential combustion chamber issues." (injector tips, combustion chamber deposits, and such.) It sounded like it made sense, but time will tell.

I use the high idle @1000rpms and exhaust brake turned on, every time I start the motor. Like stated before.... Time will tell....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sounds to me from everything I have been reading the people that are having the problems with turbos, cel, this that and the other are the ones that buy these diesels and then drive the to and from work back and forth to the grocery store, etc.

These motors aren't meant to be used for roundtrips to the grocery store. These motors are built to work and work hard. From the guys I have talked to on the road that actually use and work the hell out of the motor haven't had any problems with the trucks. I have the early 07' 6.7L and it has never been to the shop for any problems. I had the o2 sensor recall and a computer flash done and that's it. I change the oil every 7500 (every week basically). BEFORE YOU GET TO 60K make sure you change out the crank case filter. If not a "perform service" light will come on on the overhead console. Only way to clear that is from the dealer @ they charge 1/2 to flash the computer. I learned the hard way.
I agree totally. It seems that these 6.7s like to be run and run hard. I find that if I baby mine, the mileage gets worse. I have 30,000 on mine and have only had the flash and O2 snesor done. The stealership told me that they needed to replace the turbo along with the O2 sensor, but I could find no evidence of anyone under the hood. Not a finger print, wrench mark or nothing. I think they charged Cummins for a turbo replacement and did not do it.

G

·

Then dodge should of F____KIN thought of that before they sold these trucks as passenger vehicles. I like my truck to pull my camper, but if it can't be an everyday driver it ain't worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
my truck idles all the time and 80% of my driving is city and I never have any problem with the dpf system.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
Just got the 6.7 back from the dealer the egr system was plugged completely.
Dodge told dealer to tell us not to use the high idle unless under a [email protected] PTO accessory that we don't have.
This truck has been smelling terrible even the shop opened the doors.
The oil change required light came on again 5th time in 11000 miles.
What are we going to do when these trucks are out of warrantee. Good luck.
mitch
Try running your EB all the time. according to the owners manual it is recommended for cold weather starts to get the EGT's up sooner. alot of the guys on here have been told by the dealer to run the EB all the time to help keep the EGTs up thus keeping the EGR system cleaner...my .02

·
Retired Engineer
557 Posts
I run Hot Shot Service. I have 118K on the odometer and other than changing oil every 3500 miles. Change oil at greater intervals will show a much higher contamination level. The High Idle even on the 68RFE is a good feature when stuck at a light; other wise shut it off. To reduce long idling time install and use a cab heater such as the Wabasco or Espar. I consistently get 18-19 MPG on the highway and a nominal 14-15 in the city. My only complaint is the oil and how to keep it clean for longer periods of time. Even with the price of diesel it is still a lot cheaper than running a gas vehicle.
Now how all this will change when the EGR, CAT and DPF comes off I do not know but off they are coming once the code free units are perfected. I enjoy my ride and intend to keep it running until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
112 Posts

These motors aren't meant to be used for roundtrips to the grocery store. These motors are built to work and work hard. From the guys I have talked to on the road that actually use and work the hell out of the motor haven't had any problems with the trucks.

Interesting... You might be right, but I've got a real problem with that. I've seen a similar response in other forums by many of the Dodge diesel techs, and some who helped design the system are extremely defensive and extremely condescending to those that don't run hard coast to coast on a daily basis.

But let's get real here. When I walked into the dealership and said I pull a camper as often as I can, but work in an office during the week, he didn't yell in a loud booming voice 'get out you unworthy fool - this truck's not for the lowly likes of you!'. And he shouldn't have. This is my third Cummins Diesel, and I like to drive them!

What about the guys on a farm who pull extreme loads, but hardly get on the highway? Are they unworthy? Were they told to get lost by the dealership? They too need a hard working truck. No the 'you don't drive your truck right' mentality is just plain wrong.

The icing on the cake for me is that it simply isn't true anyway. There are a number of people who have posted here that work their trucks hard and still have problems. I'm certainly glad you haven't had any, but I wonder how long your good fortune will last. I've posted a number of messages on this site where I've been trying real hard to figure out how to make these trucks happy. With the help of an Edge Insight I've been studying what works and what doesn't. Most enlightening for me is that I can run 2 hours with a camper in tow, and the truck never does a regen. But come through a town that you can't bypass, and low and behold, it initiates one while I'm sitting at a stop light!

This design CAN work for all of us, but the programming needs to evolve a bit. Dodge simply needs to take an up front approach. Explain the concepts and requirements. Show the percentage full of the filter at all times. Then, give me a way to activate a regen when I can drive it properly. So, when it hits a certain percentage, I can get on the highway and kick off a regen. Let me be responsible about this required maintenance just like any other maintenance. BUT, this crap where it tries to do three regens in one day in a city and then doesn't even try when I'm on a highway just doesn't cut it! Improve the programming, and it can work for all of us.

·
Banned
722 Posts
I run Hot Shot Service. I have 118K on the odometer and other than changing oil every 3500 miles. Change oil at greater intervals will show a much higher contamination level. The High Idle even on the 68RFE is a good feature when stuck at a light; other wise shut it off. To reduce long idling time install and use a cab heater such as the Wabasco or Espar. I consistently get 18-19 MPG on the highway and a nominal 14-15 in the city. My only complaint is the oil and how to keep it clean for longer periods of time. Even with the price of diesel it is still a lot cheaper than running a gas vehicle.
Now how all this will change when the EGR, CAT and DPF comes off I do not know but off they are coming once the code free units are perfected. I enjoy my ride and intend to keep it running until the wheels fall off.
Get a bypass kit. I noticed before when i change my oil is was very dark nasty black. Now with a bypass its still dark black but it looks clean looking if that makes any sense. Might be the oil being synthetic though. Havent done a oil anaysis yet since i havent worked much lately but maybe next week i will take 1.

Oh yeah guys, for sure make sure u change out that CCV filter at 60k. Mine clogged up and killed my MPG and ventalaiton so oil was spewwing outta myt breathyer tube and oil fill cap area. 20 cans of brake cleaner later. and 23 bucks for the ccv filter:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Interesting... You might be right, but I've got a real problem with that. I've seen a similar response in other forums by many of the Dodge diesel techs, and some who helped design the system are extremely defensive and extremely condescending to those that don't run hard coast to coast on a daily basis.

But let's get real here. When I walked into the dealership and said I pull a camper as often as I can, but work in an office during the week, he didn't yell in a loud booming voice 'get out you unworthy fool - this truck's not for the lowly likes of you!'. And he shouldn't have. This is my third Cummins Diesel, and I like to drive them!

What about the guys on a farm who pull extreme loads, but hardly get on the highway? Are they unworthy? Were they told to get lost by the dealership? They too need a hard working truck. No the 'you don't drive your truck right' mentality is just plain wrong.

The icing on the cake for me is that it simply isn't true anyway. There are a number of people who have posted here that work their trucks hard and still have problems. I'm certainly glad you haven't had any, but I wonder how long your good fortune will last. I've posted a number of messages on this site where I've been trying real hard to figure out how to make these trucks happy. With the help of an Edge Insight I've been studying what works and what doesn't. Most enlightening for me is that I can run 2 hours with a camper in tow, and the truck never does a regen. But come through a town that you can't bypass, and low and behold, it initiates one while I'm sitting at a stop light!

This design CAN work for all of us, but the programming needs to evolve a bit. Dodge simply needs to take an up front approach. Explain the concepts and requirements. Show the percentage full of the filter at all times. Then, give me a way to activate a regen when I can drive it properly. So, when it hits a certain percentage, I can get on the highway and kick off a regen. Let me be responsible about this required maintenance just like any other maintenance. BUT, this crap where it tries to do three regens in one day in a city and then doesn't even try when I'm on a highway just doesn't cut it! Improve the programming, and it can work for all of us.

Sounds like I offended you. Wasn't trying. My comments were just referencing what my service advisor @ dealership has told me. He said most (not all) but most of the Turbo/EGR issues have soot build up from the people who don't really put a load on them and more like drive back and forth to work.

You are correct. These trucks should be able to be able to drive from the grocery store and back and then when you want to pull you travel trailer down the road as well.

Seems like the problem with these trucks (Dodge, Chevy, & Ford) are these new emissions. My buddy with his Chevy Duramax has had it in the shop many times for DPF clogged and a few other things. I know Dodge/Cummins motor is set up to meet the 2010 EPA standards where as Chevy/Ford aren't so that maybe why we see more problems as well

Another side note I was getting my front pinion seal reaplaced (2nd time in 2 months) so I guess I've had a problem with truck. Service advisor advised me that Ford just bought Cummins. Is that true? Anyone else hear that? It will be a sad day when Ford/Chevy have a the same motor as us. That is the only reason I own Dodge is for the motor & the motor only.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts