Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Here are a couples pics of the finished product, and a pic of the night mode console.

Attachments

Reactions: tomk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Who said it’s less effective?
I've seen a couple guys bitching about it on the Powerstroke forum, but even around town, I think it works great

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
I've seen a couple guys bitching about it on the Powerstroke forum, but even around town, I think it works great
It's all over the forums and all the vehicle test drive articles. It doesn't make as much braking horsepower as the Cummins, especially the 2019 and earlier. The 2020 was upgraded with the new turbo they are using on the upgraded engine, but even it isn't supposed to be quite as effective as the Cummins.

Not a huge deal, not a deal breaker if I were to buy one, but would like some first hand comparisons.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
TFL Truck did a comparison of the RAM, Ford and GMC, towing up the "Ike Gauntlet" mountain grade and down to test the towing ability and the exhaust braking ability. The Ford beat the RAM and GMC by a good amount going up the mountain, coming down and trying to maintain a set speed of 35 MPH the RAM blew the other two away, never having to use the service brakes to keep from going past their self imposed 40 MPH max speed, the exhaust brake being all that was needed. The Ford was second with 5 brake applications needed to keep from going over and the GMC last with 9 brake applications needed.

So, the exhaust brake in the Cummins works best, as we all know from experience.

Anyway, that won't keep me away from the Ford.

But, I wouldn't be thinking about the Ford if RAM would offer the Mega Cab in 2WD and the 2500 with the HO engine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Will you be towing heavy with it?

If so, I'd sure like to hear what you think compared to your RAM, especially with the less effective exhaust braking.
I doubt I'll ever tow so heavy it will make a difference, honestly. As I said below, though, thing works great around town!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Only way I would buy a Ford is, if, I owned the F650 with a Cummins engine and a 10 speed transmission.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Well, my dad came over and we went out doing some errands for him, got his truck inspected and new tags. He's been couped up at home and wanted to get out and fool around so he didn't have to go back home for a while.

So, we went to the nearest Ford dealer and drove a new 2020 F250 6.7 power stroke TREMOR. Drove it because it was the only non-dually diesel they had left.

BOY-HOWDY!!! That thing will flat out haul AZZ!!!

Sure wish we could have tried it out towing something heavy.

The exhaust brake sure didn't seem to do much, but I'm not sure I had it set correctly. The woman sales person didn't know either. She was nice to look at anyway!

Very nice interior, big back seat area, lots of bells and whistles, surround camera system was neat. It would take me a while to get to know how to work everything.

Very touchy accelerator, definitely no throttle lag there.

Definitely not how I would spec out a truck for my purposes, but it was really nice.

Only real issue I felt was how the trans downshifted when slowing down suddenly and coming to a quick stop, very harsh downshift. Upshifts were buttery smooth, and very cool watching the gear indicator move up through 10 gears.

From what I've read, Ford knows about it has made improvements to the harsh downshift, the truck I drove probably hadn't been updated.

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with almost everything except the trans downshift, which will probably be fixed on any future truck I might get.

By the way, I did spec out a 2021 F250 Lariat while I was there, came to $70,185 MSRP $66,130 Invoice. Five and a half years ago, my RAM was $56,720 MSRP. Of course my RAM isn't nearly as optioned out as the F250 that I spec'd fairly loaded.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts