Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
At the end of the day it鈥檚 a numbers game to the insurance. If already estimated 27k in repairs without counting the frame work I think it safe to say insurance will total it and try recouping some money selling it at a salvage auction where I likely will transport it to a dismantler 馃槀
In all seriousness, glad everyone is ok View attachment 909075 The white ram was a g56 truck. Buyer was disappointed to find out it was deleted. He sells all the emissions stuff for big $$ in ca
I tend to agree with you here. I'm getting ready to put on my a**hole hat and argue for every penny I can squeeze out of it.

Registered
It sucks your big heavy truck sustained so much damage but its because its a big heavy truck that you survived and are ok. At the end of the day its replaceable. Good luck with getting another truck hope it works out.

Registered
I tend to agree with you here. I'm getting ready to put on my a**hole hat and argue for every penny I can squeeze out of it.
I鈥檓 not one to run away from a vehicle that鈥檚 been in a accident, mostly because I can get a REALLY good deal on one. Seeing only the photos on the damage I can鈥檛 say much, and this is just my opinion. I would push for a total loss. No way will it be 100% like it was. On top of that it鈥檚 very difficult to actually find a good shop to handle a job like that. Not impossible, just hard unless you already know someone.

Registered
I鈥檓 not one to run away from a vehicle that鈥檚 been in a accident, mostly because I can get a REALLY good deal on one. Seeing only the photos on the damage I can鈥檛 say much, and this is just my opinion. I would push for a total loss. No way will it be 100% like it was. On top of that it鈥檚 very difficult to actually find a good shop to handle a job like that. Not impossible, just hard unless you already know someone.
I was in my Eddie Bauer Expedition (with the audiophile stereo, loved that thing) when I got T-Boned by a County worker in a 10 passenger Van doing 50MPH.

A couple of plaing clothes Cops were siting at the light and they came rushing over because it was a Dept of Families and Children Van and they were worried there might be kids in it. There weren't. But she was cruising. Seriously cruising. Lifted that heavy Expedition off the ground and slammed me into a Cable box on the corner.

Anyway, I told the adjuster to total it. They didn't. I'm like, "Okay. It's your dime"

They valued the vehicle at 10% more than the damage. So they fixed it.

Here's the deal, boys and girls. A lot of people, I mean really a lot, are upside down on their loan. So the Company back then really hated to total a vehicle.

You buy a truck or a car, pay on it for a year or more and when it gets totalled, you still owe the Bank money because you're upside down. You still owe more than it's worth. There was a really big deal on Corvettes with that some years ago because people were paying over sticker on them. Talk about a Charlie-Foxtrot....

Good luck trying to tell an Insurance how to value a total loss. You can go to arbitration and sometimes that works. Usually not.

But suing an Insurance Company? They got Lawyers sitting around picking their nose. They're not afraid of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. At all.

Anyway, they ended up having to put a whole new frame on it. Lost their shorts on it, big time. Bigly, big time. Especially when I took it back and made them replace the core support a couple years later because it was rusting apart and I made them re-paint the hood because it was aluminum and was proabably contaminated in the paint booth so it started bubbling and oxidizing and.....

Accidents suck. Don't make it any harder on yourself than you need to.

Stand up for what you think is right but be professional and courteous at all times. Remember, the adjuster......? It's not his/her money. These big Companies, the adjuster just wants that claim gone. Off his desk.

So the best way to handle it is act like you're on his/her side. Like you want to resolve the claim as quickly and equitably as possible.....

While standing up for yourself.

USAA collected over 30 BILLION dollars in premiums in 2017 and made another 2 billion in investment income.

Your piddly little claim don't mean nothing to them.

Torquing them off might.

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
I was in my Eddie Bauer Expedition (with the audiophile stereo, loved that thing) when I got T-Boned by a County worker in a 10 passenger Van doing 50MPH.

A couple of plaing clothes Cops were siting at the light and they came rushing over because it was a Dept of Families and Children Van and they were worried there might be kids in it. There weren't. But she was cruising. Seriously cruising. Lifted that heavy Expedition off the ground and slammed me into a Cable box on the corner.

Anyway, I told the adjuster to total it. They didn't. I'm like, "Okay. It's your dime"

They valued the vehicle at 10% more than the damage. So they fixed it.

Here's the deal, boys and girls. A lot of people, I mean really a lot, are upside down on their loan. So the Company back then really hated to total a vehicle.

You buy a truck or a car, pay on it for a year or more and when it gets totalled, you still owe the Bank money because you're upside down. You still owe more than it's worth. There was a really big deal on Corvettes with that some years ago because people were paying over sticker on them. Talk about a Charlie-Foxtrot....

Good luck trying to tell an Insurance how to value a total loss. You can go to arbitration and sometimes that works. Usually not.

But suing an Insurance Company? They got Lawyers sitting around picking their nose. They're not afraid of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. At all.

Anyway, they ended up having to put a whole new frame on it. Lost their shorts on it, big time. Bigly, big time. Especially when I took it back and made them replace the core support a couple years later because it was rusting apart and I made them re-paint the hood because it was aluminum and was proabably contaminated in the paint booth so it started bubbling and oxidizing and.....

Accidents suck. Don't make it any harder on yourself than you need to.

Stand up for what you think is right but be professional and courteous at all times. Remember, the adjuster......? It's not his/her money. These big Companies, the adjuster just wants that claim gone. Off his desk.

So the best way to handle it is act like you're on his/her side. Like you want to resolve the claim as quickly and equitably as possible.....

While standing up for yourself.

USAA collected over 30 BILLION dollars in premiums in 2017 and made another 2 billion in investment income.

Your piddly little claim don't mean nothing to them.

Torquing them off might.
I'm working with them, I'm an adult. I know how to deal with people. The original question was general consensus on the damage. I'm likely going to take the deal they give me, if it's reasonable. I don't owe anything on the truck, so if I need to sell it privately (if it's not totaled), I'll likely do that. And thinking someone won't buy it is f**ckin' crazy talk. I'm not going to sue friggin' insurance company. I'm not a goddamned millionaire with disposable income and time to play that game.

Registered
I'm working with them, I'm an adult. I know how to deal with people. The original question was general consensus on the damage. I'm likely going to take the deal they give me, if it's reasonable. I don't owe anything on the truck, so if I need to sell it privately (if it's not totaled), I'll likely do that. And thinking someone won't buy it is f**ckin' crazy talk. I'm not going to sue friggin' insurance company. I'm not a goddamned millionaire with disposable income and time to play that game.
A good body shop can be amazing.

My Expedition drove and rode better, straighter and smoother than ever after it was fixed. You can expect to find things they missed over time. Nothing major but little things.

If you've got a good adjuster and a good Body Shop (USAA is a fairly good company) then you won't have any problems.

I picked mine up and I immediately noticed that the subwoofer was damaged. It had one that looked like a large intestine. Seriously. And it was expensive. Took it back, they ordered and replaced it immediately.

Other than the problems I noted above, the only other thing they messed up was the wheels (rims). One of them was wiped out and they couldn't get a stock replacement from Ford of that year. So it was mis-matched. Close, but not close enough.

Had I noticed it when I first picked it up, I would have got them to order all four wheels. Oh well.

The guy I sold it to, I pointed it out and he could not have cared less.

If you're married, take your wife with you when you pick it up. Women usually (not always but, usually) have a better eye for things like that.

Good luck. You'll be fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Truck is officially totaled. Honestly, got a pretty decent settlement. They offered me a little more than KBB, and reimbursed me for the tires because I was able to produce a receipt. I'm pretty disappointed. It took me forever to find this truck and pull the trigger. It was exactly what I wanted and now it's gone, and I essentially lost 10k from my investment. I guess I'll be in the market again. However, if that accident totaled a Ram, I'm not so sure I'll be looking for another one. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for all the support and great information here.

Registered
Truck is officially totaled. Honestly, got a pretty decent settlement. They offered me a little more than KBB, and reimbursed me for the tires because I was able to produce a receipt. I'm pretty disappointed. It took me forever to find this truck and pull the trigger. It was exactly what I wanted and now it's gone, and I essentially lost 10k from my investment. I guess I'll be in the market again. However, if that accident totaled a Ram, I'm not so sure I'll be looking for another one. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for all the support and great information here.
Sorry to hear about you being disappointed.

At this point, you have three choices in full-size diesels (I don't count the Titan)

Ford makes a really good truck. There's a reason why they out sell the competition as much as they do.

But in their Super Duty, they're just way, way, too expensive. Unless the aluminum body is worth the premium dollars to you.

chevy? I'd rather walk than drive a chevy and if I had to be in one, I'd wear a face mask. Can't stand them. That's personal, I know. But they are and always have been, over-priced junk. There's a reason they went out of business and it had nothing whatsoever to do with Allison, their Locomotive Division, Delphi or their Detroit Diesel division. All of whom (with the possible exception of Delphi) were profitable and successful.

GM went bankrupt because they made junk. Period.

Still do, IMO.

And that corporate mindset is still present. Do yourself a favor and stay away from that catastrophe of a company.

So that leaves you with Ford or Ram. And to be honest (I'm always honest; let me say, "to be blunt") I'm a Ford guy.

Other than the Ram 2500 CTD, I'm not crazy about FCA or anything they make. Although I will say, they've come a long way.

But if you're in the market for a class 2b truck, to me the only choice is the Ram. Especially for the money. I also like its size. It will fit in my garage if the DW allows it. It's not a nightmare to park. You're not wrestling pig every time you drive it and the engine???

Can't beat the Cummins. No matter how hard they try, you can't beat the Cummins.

Here's what I recommend. Reward yourself. Splurge. Get what you might not hace gotten otherwise. Spend some mony and make it exciting.

Good luck.

Accidents suck

Registered
But in their Super Duty, they're just way, way, too expensive. Unless the aluminum body is worth the premium dollars to you.
They really aren't any more expensive for comparably equipped trucks.

Registered
errr....when I was in the market in 2015 the Furd was 7K-10k more for similarly optioned truck and at that time the inside was entirely plastic where the Ram had leather. Maybe some things have changed since then. There were a number of reasons I didn't go with a Furd but price was one of them.

Registered
Sticker price? More or less.

Real world price? They won't move down more than $2,000 maybe $3,000. On a stinker they'll move down 4 to 5. On a a $107,000 Lariat (you read that right) they'll come down $4,873. And they don't play, 'here's the price, take it or leave it.'

I'm talking the biggest Ford Dealer on the Planet Earth (1-1/2 hours North of me). It's where I just bought my wife's car. Even they won't move off the sticker more than enough to pay the sales tax. We're talking about a Dealer that routinely has over 1,000 (one thousand) trucks ON THEIR LOT (for some reason, they only have about 700 now). You've met F&I people before? Every Dealership has one, right? Brandon Ford has 12.

I know this is up-to-date because I was debating trading and getting rid of the trouble with my DEF.

They just won't move off the Super Duty pricing.

The F-150? Oh heck yes. They'll move off that. Don't know why they won't move off the Super Duty. Don't care.

Ford Dealers are very competitive when it comes to the F-150. The Super Duty?

Not so much. I know. I almost bought one.

I like Ford. But I don't like them that much. Besides, you can't beat the CTD.

Registered
Ford makes a really good truck. There's a reason why they out sell the competition as much as they do.
Do you think they include fleet and European sales in this number?

Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
When i was truck shopping i a well equipped mid trim level Ferd was very similarly priced as the limited ram i purchased. There were a couple things i liked on the ferd (honestly love the placement and type of factory aux switches on them) and they were an early adapter of the 360 degree cameras, but the UI on the screens felt like windows 95, and my father in law would never let me onto his property if i had one, so that made my decision easier/ (coupled with prices and the numerous other things i didn't realy like about it) I went to the dealership to look at a low miles used ram manual that perked my interest and once i discovered it was a rust bucket with lots of future rust issues, i was about to walk when the salesman talked me into going on a drive in a ford with him. But he couldn't get the price anywhere near where i wanted to be at the time, and i ended up with a fully loaded truck for the same price as his best offer. i doubt a ford will ever be in the cards for me, but that's just me

@wanderin that wreck probably would've totaled most any truck. It's not just FCA. modern vehicles are designed to have crush zones that total a vehicle, but they also prevent the driver and passengers from having injuries in a wreck that in an older truck would've let you drive home, just with broken bones or a concussion, or both. Vehicles are designed around human survivability these days, not vehicle survivability .

Registered
Sticker price? More or less.

Real world price? They won't move down more than $2,000 maybe $3,000. On a stinker they'll move down 4 to 5. On a a $107,000 Lariat (you read that right) they'll come down $4,873. And they don't play, 'here's the price, take it or leave it.'

I'm talking the biggest Ford Dealer on the Planet Earth (1-1/2 hours North of me). It's where I just bought my wife's car. Even they won't move off the sticker more than enough to pay the sales tax. We're talking about a Dealer that routinely has over 1,000 (one thousand) trucks ON THEIR LOT (for some reason, they only have about 700 now). You've met F&I people before? Every Dealership has one, right? Brandon Ford has 12.

I know this is up-to-date because I was debating trading and getting rid of the trouble with my DEF.

They just won't move off the Super Duty pricing.

The F-150? Oh heck yes. They'll move off that. Don't know why they won't move off the Super Duty. Don't care.

Ford Dealers are very competitive when it comes to the F-150. The Super Duty?

Not so much. I know. I almost bought one.

I like Ford. But I don't like them that much. Besides, you can't beat the CTD.
$107K Lariat? I didn't realize you could spec one that high. And guaranteed you can get more than $5K off that truck, maybe not from that dealer, but there are deals to be had on the Super Dutys. However, i agree with the prior poster - last i looked, a comparably equipped F-250 diesel was about $8K more than a comparable Ram 2500 CTD.

Registered
When i was truck shopping i a well equipped mid trim level Ferd was very similarly priced as the limited ram i purchased. There were a couple things i liked on the ferd (honestly love the placement and type of factory aux switches on them) and they were an early adapter of the 360 degree cameras, but the UI on the screens felt like windows 95, and my father in law would never let me onto his property if i had one, so that made my decision easier/ (coupled with prices and the numerous other things i didn't realy like about it) I went to the dealership to look at a low miles used ram manual that perked my interest and once i discovered it was a rust bucket with lots of future rust issues, i was about to walk when the salesman talked me into going on a drive in a ford with him. But he couldn't get the price anywhere near where i wanted to be at the time, and i ended up with a fully loaded truck for the same price as his best offer. i doubt a ford will ever be in the cards for me, but that's just me

@wanderin that wreck probably would've totaled most any truck. It's not just FCA. modern vehicles are designed to have crush zones that total a vehicle, but they also prevent the driver and passengers from having injuries in a wreck that in an older truck would've let you drive home, just with broken bones or a concussion, or both. Vehicles are designed around human survivability these days, not vehicle survivability .
This, and the price of all the parts that needed to be replaced. Again, to the insurance it鈥檚 a numbers game and it was cheaper for them to buy it from you then pay to have it fixed.

Registered
Be thankful the truck did it鈥檚 job, you walked away. Any truck probably would have been totaled. If you really enjoyed the truck, get another Ram. They all have positives and negatives.

Registered
$107K Lariat? I didn't realize you could spec one that high. And guaranteed you can get more than $5K off that truck, maybe not from that dealer, but there are deals to be had on the Super Dutys. However, i agree with the prior poster - last i looked, a comparably equipped F-250 diesel was about $8K more than a comparable Ram 2500 CTD.
Okay.

Where?

I posted the link in my post to back me up. I do that. It's polite and courteous when you're making a definitive statement.

Oh you're gonna go into the dealership and say to the salesman, 'Bring your OL by and we'll dicker'??

I need to go check on my turnip truck. Be right back

All in good fun. See...... Smiley Icon :)

Registered
Okay.

Where?

I posted the link in my post to back me up. I do that. It's polite and courteous when you're making a definitive statement.

Oh you're gonna go into the dealership and say to the salesman, 'Bring your OL by and we'll dicker'??

I need to go check on my turnip truck. Be right back

All in good fun. See...... Smiley Icon :)
I'm not sure if you're serious, but for one, that truck has an MSRP of $80,085. The rest is all dealer add-ons to generate profit for the store. The $27K in "extras" are what they call the "pounder package" in the business, and it takes a special kind of buyer to even entertain paying for it. If you're that buyer, no need to continue reading.

If you're not, and without adding any more clutter to this thread, you can open up autotrader or cars.com and do a simple search. You'll find comparable MSRP trucks advertised for $5k-$7k off MSRP all day. If you're still not convinced, head over to the largest FORD SD forum and you can see people regularly get 10% off MSRP on a new Super Duty, with some even getting as high as 13% (or more) off MSRP.

Similar in Alberta.. The Ford Superduty Powerstroke is Cdn$10k plus more than a comparable Ram Cummins.

I was helping a co-worker buy a new truck last January. He is not a Dodge guy but he/we looked closely at all 3.
We were only looking at 2019's and there were many 2019's still around from all 3 manufacturers.

I wasn't surprised that the Ford Powerstroke was more than Ram Cummins but I was surprised that a Duramax was cheaper than a Ram Cummins.
There were a ton of 2019 Duramax 2500 Denali's around western Canada.
Not sure why. Perhaps they didn't sell, perhaps oversupply, perhaps last year of old generation?

But there were great deals to be had on the Duramax Denalis and they were Cdn$3-5k cheaper than a comparable RAM and of course way cheaper than a Powerstroke.
That never used to be the case.

He ended buying a 2019 GMC 2500 Duramax Denali for a great deal in the exact color he wanted.
The 2019 GMC Duramax is much better looking than the 2020's plus still has the proven 6 speed Allison auto trans.

I don't like GM products, (except the 2020 mid-engine Corvette) but he got a great deal on his truck.

Anyone else notice if a new GM Duramax is similar or cheaper than a Ram Cummins lately?

Registered
They even managed to booger the new Corvette.
A pushrod engine in a sports car is like a fighter jet biplane.
Only gm

41 - 60 of 64 Posts