Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Glad nobody was seriously injured. If anybody begins to feel pain go to your doctors for help and get it documented. ( on file ). Sometimes internal injuries sneak up on us days or weeks after the accident. Lap and chest injuries from the belts, air bag injuries and spine/neck injuries from whiplash. Trucks can be repaired or replaced, we can’t be replaced.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also go after Diminished Value from StateFarm. Your trade in value just dropped a few thousand dollars.
100% agreed great advice!! Thing is even if they fix it back 100% and drives like new. This wreck will always be on the trucks history so kiss your trade or resale value goodbye. Diminished value is key.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If it were me I would cross my fingers that is is totaled. They are never the same after repair in my experience. And you are going to have diminished value when it comes time to trade. I'd rather just start over

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Few things. Working through your insurance company is good advice. This forces your insurance companies lawyers to represent you.

That truck doesn’t look totaled but it’s anyone’s guess with pictures like that. I would definitely be going for diminished value. You might need your own attorney for that.

lastly don’t wave off injuries even if you don’t have them. Don’t lie but also don’t waive off that liability. It gives you additional negotiating power. If you are sore at all tell them you want to wait a while to see if you have any lasting injuries.

this is the internet take any of our advice with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Glad nobody was seriously injured. If anybody begins to feel pain go to your doctors for help and get it documented. ( on file ). Sometimes internal injuries sneak up on us days or weeks after the accident. Lap and chest injuries from the belts, air bag injuries and spine/neck injuries from whiplash. Trucks can be repaired or replaced, we can’t be replaced.
Truth. I felt ffine after, but woke up with a head splitter the next day. Went and got looked at, had a very mild concussion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Morning all. So last Friday afternoon, someone blew a light right in front of me while I was going 40mph down a main thoroughfare. Resulted in me t-boning the front end of a Honda at probably just below 40mph. Both front airbags popped, tranny cooler is completely frigged, front end damage and God knows what else. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt/killed, and the other driver admitted 100% fault at the scene and was ticketed. I really don't think this is even close to a total (hopefully), but I'm getting mixed reviews from my buddies and would appreciate some well-informed insight while I sweat and wait for the appraiser's phone call. Thanks!!

Truck stats;
2018 Laramie 2500 Cummins
51k-ish miles, immaculately maintained, never in an accident before.
If this is totaled, DO NOT accept the first settlement offer by your insurance company. Consistently, across the board, the total settlements are $2500 to $3000 light. Ask for the insurance settlement report, normally they are from CCC One. There will be adjustments (always down) for things like mileage, comparable condition adjustments, age of ad adjustments, negotiated price adjustments and so forth. If there is a reason to adjust the value of your vehicle downward, they have it in the insurance settlement report. Your insurance policy guarantees you the right to a second appraisal, consider looking into a public adjuster, well worth the money you'll spend.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I"D take it to a good body shop, deployed airbags DON'T total a vehicle. You want them to put it on a computerized frame machine hence why i said a good body shop. The machine takes digital measurements at different points to determine frame damage. If the repair cost is 70% or more of the value of the truck then the insurance company will total it, or if the frame got significant damage that isn't worth the work in pulling it back to specs.So yeah take it to a good shop let your insurance deal with it.Honestly it only looks like cosmetic damage i doubt its as bad as it looks but hey i'm no expert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got side swiped last year in my 2018 Mega Cab. Largely paint and a new driver’s side door and it was about $4,800. Black paint is a pain to get all the swirls out of!

I am going after the diminished value claim as well. $3,000 to $5,000 in trade difference.

On the flip side, if they total it, I’ll trade you my silver wheels for your black ones... ; - )

Good luck!

Edit: Turns out the body shop submitted a supplemental on my wreck and the cost for repair was actually $6,605.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
definitely keep us posted. It'll probably be close but hopefully it goes in the direction that you are hoping for.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,257 Posts
It's going to depend on the condition of the frame, if it's tweaked chances are it's totaled.

If it is, i don't want the wheels, i just want the wheel inserts , i think changing them out on my truck would look great

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's going to depend on the condition of the frame, if it's tweaked chances are it's totaled.

If it is, i don't want the wheels, i just want the wheel inserts , i think changing them out on my truck would look great
the frame is definitely tweaked in those pictures - both frame horns, and the cab apron on the driver's side is bent as well, in addition to everything else in the front that is obviously broken, it'll need everything from the engine to the grill, minus the hood (looks repairable). Then you have the left side of the bed(did the car swing back and hit it?), new dash panel, new airbags, all new seatbelts, SRS module, etc. Nonetheless, metal can be replaced or repaired, good thing there were no injuries as this looks to have been a hard impact. Looking forward to hearing the estimate $ from wanderin once they write it up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
the frame is definitely tweaked in those pictures - both frame horns, and the cab apron on the driver's side is bent as well, in addition to everything else in the front that is obviously broken, it'll need everything from the engine to the grill, minus the hood (looks repairable). Then you have the left side of the bed(did the car swing back and hit it?), new dash panel, new airbags, all new seatbelts, SRS module, etc. Nonetheless, metal can be replaced or repaired, good thing there were no injuries as this looks to have been a hard impact. Looking forward to hearing the estimate $ from wanderin once they write it up.
See, this is why I came here. Solid input, man. I appreciate it. The other car did swing around and hit the bed. I was going about 35, but she popped out in front of me when I had about 40ish feet to slow down. So not nearly enough time. No serious injuries, but I got a mild concussion and a s**tload of airbag burns on my arm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Morning all. So last Friday afternoon, someone blew a light right in front of me while I was going 40mph down a main thoroughfare. Resulted in me t-boning the front end of a Honda at probably just below 40mph. Both front airbags popped, tranny cooler is completely frigged, front end damage and God knows what else. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt/killed, and the other driver admitted 100% fault at the scene and was ticketed. I really don't think this is even close to a total (hopefully), but I'm getting mixed reviews from my buddies and would appreciate some well-informed insight while I sweat and wait for the appraiser's phone call. Thanks!!

Truck stats;
2018 Laramie 2500 Cummins
51k-ish miles, immaculately maintained, never in an accident before.
UPDATE: So, it's likely totaled. I spoke to the adjuster yesterday, and she had written up $27,000 worth of damage on it before it even went on the frame machine. Once they put it on the frame machine, they found that one of the rails was completely torqued. So in reality, it needs a new frame too. I'm really disappointed that an accident like that probably totaled a truck this sturdy. But I guess we'll see on Monday.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
IIRC, if the frame is only bent from the wheels forward (front of truck) or from the wheels backward (rear of truck), the frame is allowed to be repaired (if possible). If there is any damage to the frame between the front wheels and the back wheels (middle of the truck) the whole frame has to be replaced and not repaired due to its high psi construction. There was a thread on here a while back (2014ish) discussing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
At the end of the day it’s a numbers game to the insurance. If already estimated 27k in repairs without counting the frame work I think it safe to say insurance will total it and try recouping some money selling it at a salvage auction where I likely will transport it to a dismantler 😂
In all seriousness, glad everyone is ok
The white ram was a g56 truck. Buyer was disappointed to find out it was deleted. He sells all the emissions stuff for big $$ in ca

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I saw a truck in the body shop recently where they REPLACED the frame, did not total the truck.
I hear ya, but the rest of the damage, not counting the frame, is going to make a pretty significant difference. My entire coolant system was totally destroyed. May not have been the case with your example.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts