Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Don't think I'm totaled, but not a mechanic.

7K views 90 replies 30 participants last post by  Ltngdrvr 
#1 ·
Morning all. So last Friday afternoon, someone blew a light right in front of me while I was going 40mph down a main thoroughfare. Resulted in me t-boning the front end of a Honda at probably just below 40mph. Both front airbags popped, tranny cooler is completely frigged, front end damage and God knows what else. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt/killed, and the other driver admitted 100% fault at the scene and was ticketed. I really don't think this is even close to a total (hopefully), but I'm getting mixed reviews from my buddies and would appreciate some well-informed insight while I sweat and wait for the appraiser's phone call. Thanks!!

Truck stats;
2018 Laramie 2500 Cummins
51k-ish miles, immaculately maintained, never in an accident before.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Bedside crinkled from the front end impact? A lot of times air bags totals a vehicle.

I honestly wouldn’t want it fixed, front end impact at 40mph it could never be the same again. Plus it’ll always have that on the report.

#7 ·
I agree with you completely. I'm really nervous it's going to get fixed, and come back with some kind of pull, shimmy, or other quirk that drives me insane. However, I know I'm pretty much at the mercy of the appraiser and don't know if I have any realistic recourse to argue with their decision.

#10 ·
Like I was saying to nuljas, aren't I just at the mercy of the appraiser? Is there anything I can legally do to argue the decision if it isn't totaled?

#9 ·
All depends on the frame. My dad had a similar crash and actually had less cosmetic damage than that. When the body shop really started looking at it they realized the frame was bent. The costs and trouble of locating a 2013 frame and replacing it outweighed totaling the vehicle, so it was totaled. For a 2018 you may have better luck finding a frame if there are issues. They don't make 2013 frames anymore.

Point is even though it doesn't look horrible, does not mean your frame isn't damaged.

#17 ·
Since it was the other driver's fault, it will be his insurance that pays, his insurance that will be determining whether the damage is enough to declare it a total loss. From the pics, I would say that it isn't a total and will be repairable.

My truck has been in two front end crashes, both repairs went well, even had to go on the frame machine to straighten out the front support structure this last time, and it runs just as straight and noise free as when it was new.

#22 ·
Also go after Diminished Value from StateFarm. Your trade in value just dropped a few thousand dollars.
100% agreed great advice!! Thing is even if they fix it back 100% and drives like new. This wreck will always be on the trucks history so kiss your trade or resale value goodbye. Diminished value is key.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Glad nobody was seriously injured. If anybody begins to feel pain go to your doctors for help and get it documented. ( on file ). Sometimes internal injuries sneak up on us days or weeks after the accident. Lap and chest injuries from the belts, air bag injuries and spine/neck injuries from whiplash. Trucks can be repaired or replaced, we can’t be replaced.

#25 ·
Truth. I felt ffine after, but woke up with a head splitter the next day. Went and got looked at, had a very mild concussion.

Reactions: hooked55
#23 ·
If it were me I would cross my fingers that is is totaled. They are never the same after repair in my experience. And you are going to have diminished value when it comes time to trade. I'd rather just start over

#24 ·
Few things. Working through your insurance company is good advice. This forces your insurance companies lawyers to represent you.

That truck doesn’t look totaled but it’s anyone’s guess with pictures like that. I would definitely be going for diminished value. You might need your own attorney for that.

lastly don’t wave off injuries even if you don’t have them. Don’t lie but also don’t waive off that liability. It gives you additional negotiating power. If you are sore at all tell them you want to wait a while to see if you have any lasting injuries.

this is the internet take any of our advice with a grain of salt.

#26 ·
If this is totaled, DO NOT accept the first settlement offer by your insurance company. Consistently, across the board, the total settlements are $2500 to $3000 light. Ask for the insurance settlement report, normally they are from CCC One. There will be adjustments (always down) for things like mileage, comparable condition adjustments, age of ad adjustments, negotiated price adjustments and so forth. If there is a reason to adjust the value of your vehicle downward, they have it in the insurance settlement report. Your insurance policy guarantees you the right to a second appraisal, consider looking into a public adjuster, well worth the money you'll spend.

#27 ·
I"D take it to a good body shop, deployed airbags DON'T total a vehicle. You want them to put it on a computerized frame machine hence why i said a good body shop. The machine takes digital measurements at different points to determine frame damage. If the repair cost is 70% or more of the value of the truck then the insurance company will total it, or if the frame got significant damage that isn't worth the work in pulling it back to specs.So yeah take it to a good shop let your insurance deal with it.Honestly it only looks like cosmetic damage i doubt its as bad as it looks but hey i'm no expert.

#28 · (Edited)
I got side swiped last year in my 2018 Mega Cab. Largely paint and a new driver’s side door and it was about $4,800. Black paint is a pain to get all the swirls out of!

I am going after the diminished value claim as well. $3,000 to $5,000 in trade difference.

On the flip side, if they total it, I’ll trade you my silver wheels for your black ones... ; - )

Good luck!

Edit: Turns out the body shop submitted a supplemental on my wreck and the cost for repair was actually $6,605.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
It's going to depend on the condition of the frame, if it's tweaked chances are it's totaled.

If it is, i don't want the wheels, i just want the wheel inserts , i think changing them out on my truck would look great

#34 ·
It's going to depend on the condition of the frame, if it's tweaked chances are it's totaled.

If it is, i don't want the wheels, i just want the wheel inserts , i think changing them out on my truck would look great
the frame is definitely tweaked in those pictures - both frame horns, and the cab apron on the driver's side is bent as well, in addition to everything else in the front that is obviously broken, it'll need everything from the engine to the grill, minus the hood (looks repairable). Then you have the left side of the bed(did the car swing back and hit it?), new dash panel, new airbags, all new seatbelts, SRS module, etc. Nonetheless, metal can be replaced or repaired, good thing there were no injuries as this looks to have been a hard impact. Looking forward to hearing the estimate $ from wanderin once they write it up.

#36 ·
UPDATE: So, it's likely totaled. I spoke to the adjuster yesterday, and she had written up $27,000 worth of damage on it before it even went on the frame machine. Once they put it on the frame machine, they found that one of the rails was completely torqued. So in reality, it needs a new frame too. I'm really disappointed that an accident like that probably totaled a truck this sturdy. But I guess we'll see on Monday.

#37 ·
IIRC, if the frame is only bent from the wheels forward (front of truck) or from the wheels backward (rear of truck), the frame is allowed to be repaired (if possible). If there is any damage to the frame between the front wheels and the back wheels (middle of the truck) the whole frame has to be replaced and not repaired due to its high psi construction. There was a thread on here a while back (2014ish) discussing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#40 ·
I hear ya, but the rest of the damage, not counting the frame, is going to make a pretty significant difference. My entire coolant system was totally destroyed. May not have been the case with your example.

#39 ·
At the end of the day it’s a numbers game to the insurance. If already estimated 27k in repairs without counting the frame work I think it safe to say insurance will total it and try recouping some money selling it at a salvage auction where I likely will transport it to a dismantler 😂
In all seriousness, glad everyone is ok
The white ram was a g56 truck. Buyer was disappointed to find out it was deleted. He sells all the emissions stuff for big $$ in ca

#41 ·
I tend to agree with you here. I'm getting ready to put on my a**hole hat and argue for every penny I can squeeze out of it.

#47 ·
Truck is officially totaled. Honestly, got a pretty decent settlement. They offered me a little more than KBB, and reimbursed me for the tires because I was able to produce a receipt. I'm pretty disappointed. It took me forever to find this truck and pull the trigger. It was exactly what I wanted and now it's gone, and I essentially lost 10k from my investment. I guess I'll be in the market again. However, if that accident totaled a Ram, I'm not so sure I'll be looking for another one. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for all the support and great information here.

#48 ·
Sorry to hear about you being disappointed.

At this point, you have three choices in full-size diesels (I don't count the Titan)

Ford makes a really good truck. There's a reason why they out sell the competition as much as they do.

But in their Super Duty, they're just way, way, too expensive. Unless the aluminum body is worth the premium dollars to you.

chevy? I'd rather walk than drive a chevy and if I had to be in one, I'd wear a face mask. Can't stand them. That's personal, I know. But they are and always have been, over-priced junk. There's a reason they went out of business and it had nothing whatsoever to do with Allison, their Locomotive Division, Delphi or their Detroit Diesel division. All of whom (with the possible exception of Delphi) were profitable and successful.

GM went bankrupt because they made junk. Period.

Still do, IMO.

And that corporate mindset is still present. Do yourself a favor and stay away from that catastrophe of a company.

So that leaves you with Ford or Ram. And to be honest (I'm always honest; let me say, "to be blunt") I'm a Ford guy.

Other than the Ram 2500 CTD, I'm not crazy about FCA or anything they make. Although I will say, they've come a long way.

But if you're in the market for a class 2b truck, to me the only choice is the Ram. Especially for the money. I also like its size. It will fit in my garage if the DW allows it. It's not a nightmare to park. You're not wrestling pig every time you drive it and the engine???

Can't beat the Cummins. No matter how hard they try, you can't beat the Cummins.

Here's what I recommend. Reward yourself. Splurge. Get what you might not hace gotten otherwise. Spend some mony and make it exciting.

Good luck.

Accidents suck

#53 ·
When i was truck shopping i a well equipped mid trim level Ferd was very similarly priced as the limited ram i purchased. There were a couple things i liked on the ferd (honestly love the placement and type of factory aux switches on them) and they were an early adapter of the 360 degree cameras, but the UI on the screens felt like windows 95, and my father in law would never let me onto his property if i had one, so that made my decision easier/ (coupled with prices and the numerous other things i didn't realy like about it) I went to the dealership to look at a low miles used ram manual that perked my interest and once i discovered it was a rust bucket with lots of future rust issues, i was about to walk when the salesman talked me into going on a drive in a ford with him. But he couldn't get the price anywhere near where i wanted to be at the time, and i ended up with a fully loaded truck for the same price as his best offer. i doubt a ford will ever be in the cards for me, but that's just me

@wanderin that wreck probably would've totaled most any truck. It's not just FCA. modern vehicles are designed to have crush zones that total a vehicle, but they also prevent the driver and passengers from having injuries in a wreck that in an older truck would've let you drive home, just with broken bones or a concussion, or both. Vehicles are designed around human survivability these days, not vehicle survivability .

#59 ·
Similar in Alberta.. The Ford Superduty Powerstroke is Cdn$10k plus more than a comparable Ram Cummins.

I was helping a co-worker buy a new truck last January. He is not a Dodge guy but he/we looked closely at all 3.
We were only looking at 2019's and there were many 2019's still around from all 3 manufacturers.

I wasn't surprised that the Ford Powerstroke was more than Ram Cummins but I was surprised that a Duramax was cheaper than a Ram Cummins.
There were a ton of 2019 Duramax 2500 Denali's around western Canada.
Not sure why. Perhaps they didn't sell, perhaps oversupply, perhaps last year of old generation?

But there were great deals to be had on the Duramax Denalis and they were Cdn$3-5k cheaper than a comparable RAM and of course way cheaper than a Powerstroke.
That never used to be the case.

He ended buying a 2019 GMC 2500 Duramax Denali for a great deal in the exact color he wanted.
The 2019 GMC Duramax is much better looking than the 2020's plus still has the proven 6 speed Allison auto trans.

I don't like GM products, (except the 2020 mid-engine Corvette) but he got a great deal on his truck.

Anyone else notice if a new GM Duramax is similar or cheaper than a Ram Cummins lately?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.