Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. So last Friday afternoon, someone blew a light right in front of me while I was going 40mph down a main thoroughfare. Resulted in me t-boning the front end of a Honda at probably just below 40mph. Both front airbags popped, tranny cooler is completely frigged, front end damage and God knows what else. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt/killed, and the other driver admitted 100% fault at the scene and was ticketed. I really don't think this is even close to a total (hopefully), but I'm getting mixed reviews from my buddies and would appreciate some well-informed insight while I sweat and wait for the appraiser's phone call. Thanks!!

Truck stats;
2018 Laramie 2500 Cummins
51k-ish miles, immaculately maintained, never in an accident before.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It's not totalled. Turn it into your Insurance Company and walk away.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
A lot of times the air bags deploying will total a vehicle cause it messes up the wiring in the vehicle. A lot of current flows through it.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Bedside crinkled from the front end impact? A lot of times air bags totals a vehicle.

I honestly wouldn’t want it fixed, front end impact at 40mph it could never be the same again. Plus it’ll always have that on the report.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bedside crinkled from the front end impact? A lot of times air bags totals a vehicle.

I honestly wouldn’t want it fixed, front end impact at 40mph it could never be the same again. Plus it’ll always have that on the report.
I agree with you completely. I'm really nervous it's going to get fixed, and come back with some kind of pull, shimmy, or other quirk that drives me insane. However, I know I'm pretty much at the mercy of the appraiser and don't know if I have any realistic recourse to argue with their decision.

·
Registered
116 Posts
All depends on the frame. My dad had a similar crash and actually had less cosmetic damage than that. When the body shop really started looking at it they realized the frame was bent. The costs and trouble of locating a 2013 frame and replacing it outweighed totaling the vehicle, so it was totaled. For a 2018 you may have better luck finding a frame if there are issues. They don't make 2013 frames anymore.

Point is even though it doesn't look horrible, does not mean your frame isn't damaged.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no way I wouldn't try and total that.
Like I was saying to nuljas, aren't I just at the mercy of the appraiser? Is there anything I can legally do to argue the decision if it isn't totaled?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Like I was saying to nuljas, aren't I just at the mercy of the appraiser? Is there anything I can legally do to argue the decision if it isn't totaled?
You could talk to the appraiser and If it’s close they might push it over if they’re a descent person and know you don’t want to keep it.

What damaged the bedside? At that speed it’s more then likely the frames bent, but they can be straightened

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could talk to the appraiser and If it’s close they might push it over if they’re a descent person and know you don’t want to keep it.

What damaged the bedside? At that speed it’s more then likely the frames bent, but they can be straightened
Gotcha. Good advice. When I t-boned the Honda, it spun around and smashed the bed in too.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Gotcha. Good advice. When I t-boned the Honda, it spun around and smashed the bed in too.
Throw some dents in the driver side doors just for good measure

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,094 Posts
for my experience, if it's close to being totaled, they may give you the option. if you want it totaled, I would voice that to them every chance you have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for my experience, if it's close to being totaled, they may give you the option. if you want it totaled, I would voice that to them every chance you have.
Also real helpful. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Who is your Insurance Company?

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
Since it was the other driver's fault, it will be his insurance that pays, his insurance that will be determining whether the damage is enough to declare it a total loss. From the pics, I would say that it isn't a total and will be repairable.

My truck has been in two front end crashes, both repairs went well, even had to go on the frame machine to straighten out the front support structure this last time, and it runs just as straight and noise free as when it was new.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Mine is USAA. The other driver is State Farm (other driver 100% at fault).
Turn it in to your Company. Ask if they have a Pro Shop or Preferred Shop program in your area. If they do, try to figure out who's best and/or most convenient. Tell the Adjuster who you want to use in their Program if they have more than one.

Walk away.

The Big Boys often don't send an Adjuster out to a Pro Shop. The Pro shop takes pictures, use a software program and tell the Company what's-what.

Use your own Company. It's what you pay them for and, actually, they prefer that you do. That way, they can gather records, the police report, statements, look out for you, warranty the work of their Preferred Shop, protect you from BS lawsuits.... Oh yes. They happen.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, cares what the Cop thinks. The Police Report is next to useles in Court (Officer, did you see the accident? No? You're dismissed, you may step down please) I've seen people file a BS Lawsuit a year after an accident and catch the Insurance Company by surprise. That's bad news. And it does happen.

Don't try to do this yourself. Don't think that by keeping your Insurance Company out of this that you're accomplishing anything. You're not. It's already on your MVR as an incident. Public knowledge. Keeping your Company out of the loop is not best practice.

ETA: Most (not all, but most) States are Comparative Negligence States, so there's no such thing as 100% at fault. If you hadn't been there, you wouldn't have gotten hit. Or whatever. Just that he was more at fault than you were.

minor point

1 - 20 of 72 Posts