Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Don't Buy Silicone from TurboHoses, Inc. - My Experience

3375 15
Hello All! I just bought my truck (sig) a few weeks ago and I am enjoying it. I'm new here as well to the forum.

My truck has an aFe intake (from a few years back) and I noticed the 4" intake tube was loose. The cheap silicone boot provided by aFe that mounted the intake tube to the turbo flange MELTED! It was letting in unfiltered air. Great. I pulled it apart and started looking for a "high heat" silicone coupler to replace it with.

When searching, I saw TurboHoses R&D, Inc. suggested here by members as a seller of high quality silicone couplers. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. You can get what they sell from E-Bay. I have the part number of what i received from them to prove it. I will post pictures too.

I rated Turbo Hoses, Inc. "1-Star" on YELP. I wrote a review of my experience and decided to post it here too. I wanted to share my experience to save others some money and headache on silicone parts.

-------- (YELP Post)----------------

DO NOT BUY from this group!

I purchased a 3inch long piece of high heat silicone (they advertise it as "600 degree") coupler (4 inches in diameter). I paid $20. My purchase receipt (printed at checkout) says $20 total!

They charged $11.88 in shipping after I chose the $0 shipping option when I checked out! In total, they billed me $31,88 for the 3 inch long piece of silicone, when my purchase receipt says $20!

When I called, the guy was indignant that their web page "says in big red letters at the top and bottom of the page" that "shipping is added later". I told him yeah, "I saw that BUT I CHOSE THE $0 shipping option" so I expected $0 to be added". He just kept saying there is a warning on the web page that they add shipping later. And I kept saying "I expected $0 to be added later because that is what i chose." He also said "this is how we do business" and "we do not have a shipping calculator" on the web site.

I received the silicone coupler by UPS delivery and it is marked as "T17901-102" and "Made in China". I searched Google for this part number and it came up on E-Bay as a 500 degree coupler (NOT 600 DEGREE as it is advertised on TurboHoses web page). The E-bay hose looks identical to what I bought from TurboHoses and E-Bay is selling it for $12 and free shipping! Great.

So the TurboHoses products can be bought off e-bay for much cheaper.

No resolution by calling them, no apology, no offer to reverse shipping, or in any way make this right. I'll never buy from them again, AND I'll post my experience on all the web boards I belong to.

I hope the extra money they got from me was worth it.
Reactions: Ratdog1
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
I was recently looking for a hose for my truck. I didn't buy from them but saw their website. It plainly stated, " shipping and handling changes will be added at time of shipping". Now, after reading that, did you really expect them to ship it to you for free? It usually pays to shop around if you don't agree with the price or the shipping. I usually check with the site sponsors websites for purchases first as they are active participators in the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jbremount,

See here: SPS Racing (link) is selling the SAME HOSE (same part number "T17901-102" which is 500 Degree) for $12.99 and FREE SHIPPING on E-Bay. I paid $20 for what Turbo Hoses advertised as "600 degree" then was hit with $11.88 shipping after the fact.

Free shipping is common in the marketplace. How is it unreasonable to expect $0 shipping when that is one of a few shipping options you choose from upon checkout?

I'm offering this post for others to know the true cost of doing business with Turbo Hoses. TurboHoses R&D, Inc. will continue to offer $0 shipping as one of a few shipping options at checkout then charge customers $11.88 at a later time. They make no apology for what they are doing.

Jbremount, God bless you for supporting capitalism and jobs in California! :party018: I, however, value my cash and will buy my additional 500-degree couplers for $12.99 with free shipping from SPS Racing!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
in this day and age. i expect shipping to be free on just about everything. with social media and all the other options out there someone is usually always selling what you want at a better price or free shipping. its become a standard among business operations.

when i want a specific part ill shop around and guaranteed someone has it free shipping for the same price if not better.

now on the other hand and especially when using CUMMINS FORUM SPONSORS, ill pay the extra coin bc these vendors are awesome. they are everyday folks who talk and interact with every individual on the forum over simple matters or products. in the end they are the most knowledgable people when it comes to parts for our trucks and they strive to get you set straight and give you customer service like its 1968 still.. service with a smile!

whenever you have an issue or need a direction on something, then come here and ask. thats what this community is for and what we enjoy doing.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
not a problem. i typically dont deal with much motor performance stuff bc im to broke for shiney turbos and spiffy injectors but you can use the search function on the home page and look up boots. in the past few years ive seen dozens of threads where people got premium parts from vendors and were quite pleased. look it up and ill bet youll find exactly what your looking for... and probably more! lol

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
If a site says shipping will be calculated at time of shipping, just skip them as someone else will have the same price and be able to tell you shipping (if any). Shipping and handling is one of the biggest rip off in the business. Years ago a company was giving away free software for $5.99 shipping and handling. Analysts determined they were breaking even once 50000 copies had shipped and after that they were making money.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I shopped around and just bought 4" silicone hose with free shipping the last week or so. Looks same as poster's hose. I used it to make a boost leak tester. Most of these hoses (and cheaper small metal parts) are made in China these days. You can get an even better deal if you cut out the middle man using eBay to buy direct from China. Same with eye glasses/etc/etc. If you shop through eBay or any other vender always use "paypal". You will have recourse if you are not satisfied.

4" inch Universal Straight Silicone Hose Coupler Intercooler Pipe Turbo Blue | eBay

·
A Couple Diesels
3,149 Posts
really who gives a crap..... its $31
if this is the amount your gonna complain...modding the truck is gonna blow your stack

·
Registered
655 Posts
Unless I missed it, how did you pay for the purchase ?
Credit Card , I hope !!

Well, you have a Dodge, so I am sure you could figure the rest out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rob there is a big silicone hose dealer just south of us in Fountain, CO. Try them, they have great customer service and good products. Intercooler Pipe Fabrication - Silicone Intake Systems Auto Parts

I think this company will also charge you shipping. Most companies that have large quantities of hoses and fittings for the world market usually charge you shipping. The smaller retail guys selling cheaper hoses on eBay find a niche product every now and then. Who knows how the hoses got into the country. They buy cheap and they are selling cheap to make a profit. They also do not have the silicone hoses in the variety and the quantities that the larger companies have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
jsf350, you missed the point. :confused013:

Thanks to others for the additional links for me to check out.

jbremount, I bought a 4" high heat silicone coupler from e-bay seller "best.racing-building" (see link). This is a much better hose. These guys ship from Boulder. Pretty cool.

For those who need a visual:

·
Registered
932 Posts
I bought mine from the same guy in Boulder,Co. to use for a cheap and low pressure homemade boost leak tester. Now, those are two completely different hoses! FWIK, ..Thicker hose is not always better. I think that 2ply hose is the better hose for serious use. Did it not say 2 ply Fiberglass Reinforced Silicone on the website?

ok, found this:
http://www.turbohoses.com/faq.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I would totally agree with you, if i trusted their advertising. I don't.

The TurboHoses web page says its custom, they said its 600 degree hose. Google the part number, and even Sears has a link for that coupler.

Sears description (link):
Description Item # SPM7183713108 Model # T17901-102
Product Features:Working Temperature:-76°F (-60°C ) to +500°F (+260°C)Working Pressure:0.3Mpa (43.5 PSI) to 0.9Mpa (130.5 PSI)Bursting Pressure:2Mpa. Reinforced:3-PLY ReinforcedFits For:Universal. ID:4.0"(102mm)Item No.:T17901-102. Length:3"(76mm). Thickness:5mm.Size tolerance:+/-0.5mmProduct Description:Blue 4.0" TO 4.0" inch Straight Silicone Coupler Hose ID:102mm TURBO/INTAKE PIPE. Fits For:Universal Silicone Hose Description: 1)Working Temperature: -76°F (-60°C ) to +500°F (+260°C) 2)Working Pressure: 0.3Mpa (43.5 PSI) to 0.9Mpa (130.5 PSI) 3)Bursting Pressure: 2Mpa 4)Thickness:5mm, 3 ply 5)Length:3" inch (76mm) 6)Size tolerance: +/-0.5mm 7)Available color:Blue Please note that:This item is not suitable for fuel or oil transfer. Warranty: 1 year warranty against manufacture defect.
Added on February 13, 2013

and E-Bay Listing:
Product Specification:
1)Working Temperature: -76°F (-60°C ) to +500°F (+260°C)
2)Working Pressure: 0.3Mpa (43.5 PSI) to 0.9Mpa (130.5 PSI)
3)Bursting Pressure: 2Mpa
4)Thickness:5mm, 4 ply reinforced
5)Length: 3"inch (76 mm)
6)Size tolerance: +/-0.5mm

I think maybe the part is not so special. TurboHoses would never have included the part number in my packaging if it weren't the part.

I think the only special thing is that "TurboHoses" is printed on my silicone!

·
Registered
932 Posts
You can get what they sell from E-Bay. I have the part number of what i received from them to prove it. I will post pictures too.
(part numbers are for the company's internal use and inventory, it does not have to correlate to another companies similar parts.)

That said, the $6.99 ebay hose and the turbohose.com $20 hose "are not" the same. The $20 silicone hose you bought from Turbohose.com hose is the better performing hose. IMO, you also paid a fair price for it. Same price as everyone else. The link below tells you all about turbohoses.com and their hoses. The link tell you about the temp ratings etc,etc. Did you read it? I see nothing Turbohose.com did wrong. The shipping and the quality of their silicone hoses is there for you to read. You chose to make the online purchase and they follow through with your request and sold you a quality silicone hose. Anyway, I'am done, have a good day.
SILICONE HOSES FAQ & INFORMATION

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.