Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the hunt for p-pumps and a 12v. I currently drive the truck in my sig too work everyday and that's it. The vp seems like it's failing and Im just dying to put a p-pump on it. I also have a 1987 suburban is as a beach truck/shark fishing rack. It has a worn out 350 and will have a cummins in it by the end of this year. Here's my options:

A) p-pump my 24v. Then through a 12v in my suburban.

B) use my 24v as a donor for my suburban and p-pump it.

So either option I'm going to be needing a p-pump.
Now for the point of the whole post. I haven't a clue what I should be looking for in a donor truck or what I should be looking for. I also would like to know opinions on buying a new/used pump or 12v on the web and maybe a price range I should be looking into. If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask! Any advice will be appreciated!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am in the middle of a similar build. I just finished up a P-pump swap on my truck and I love. finishing up minor details while it is installed in the Dodge then it will be getting pulled, a fresh set of bearings, rings and gaskets installed and then it will be going into my Excursion. Behind the cummins will be a NV4500 so I will basically have a fully mechanical do anything I need rig.

Here are my personal thoughts if you persue this
1- if you decide to build a p-pumped 24v do it in the dodge first. Gives you a clean starting point.

2-Find a pump off a known running engine or find a core and get a rebuilt one. I took a chance on a said "good" pump off ebay. After spending the money and time to do the swap I found out the pump had a stuck plunger and was nothing but a "good" core, the seller was no where to be found after the deal was done.

3- I would say if you can find a good donor truck and your plan is to keep the Burb, build a 12v Burb and just put a VP back on the Dodge and drive it or send it down the road to fund a bigger and better Burb build

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3- I would say if you can find a good donor truck and your plan is to keep the Burb, build a 12v Burb and just put a VP back on the Dodge and drive it or send it down the road to fund a bigger and better Burb build
I like option 3 the most! Thanks for the input brother

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.