Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
plan on doing it next weekend. If im not mistaken i need to replace the front main seal as well? Also, are there any precautions or tips on doing this. Im pretty mechanically inclined and have read alot of GREAT articles on the internet about doing it, so im fairly confident that it shouldn't be to difficult. Also, where would ya'll recommend ordering the kit from? Thanks!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
plan on doing it next weekend. If im not mistaken i need to replace the front main seal as well? Also, are there any precautions or tips on doing this. Im pretty mechanically inclined and have read alot of GREAT articles on the internet about doing it, so im fairly confident that it shouldn't be to difficult. Also, where would ya'll recommend ordering the kit from? Thanks!!!:thumbsup:
how much damage did it do mine just went down last nite i thank i got lucky though it was still runnen afterwords im not looken foward to it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't wanna jinx myself between now and next week but im just doing "preventive maintenance" lol. Had a buddy and his shot through the cover and that got me thinking i better get the kit and prevent the same thing from happening to mine.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
well its a fairly straight forward job, been awhile since i did mine, what i did was remove the fan shroud, just cut the bottom of it so i didnt have to remove the fan, that should give you plenty of room, and then remove the harminic balancer, and all the bolts around the timing cover..that opens everything up for ya, install tab, clean off old seals, install new crank seal in the cover and reinstall everything. oh and make sure you tap that pin back in if it did move out a lil...
you can get them pretty much anywhere, heck you could make your own tab, i don think these kits come with a paper timing cover gasket..but you dont need on, all i used was some hightemp black rtv silicone and that does the trick, and any of the vendors on here should be able to hook ya up with a kit:thumbsup:

KILLER DOWEL PIN KIT ('94-'98, 12V DODGE)-Dodge Cummins and Ford Power Stroke Diesel Truck Accessories - Geno's Garage

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Make the tab urself if you have access to a grinder. I used a fender washer that cost like 9cents. Yes on the main seal behind the harmonic balancer. In my experience you dont need the timing cover gasket, the factory one is rubber and quite durable. I used a little rtv on the install and no leaks.

So, 9 cent fender washer, 36 dollar seal, and a little bit of red lock tite and ur set. IMO dont wast ur money on a "KDP Kit".

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I'm going to be doing mine next week too I ordered the tab from hotroddiesel.ca $5. Why not just take the pin out altogether ?

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Why not just take the pin out altogether ?
Because it holds the case in precise position or the timing gears will not mesh correctly.
You probably couldn't pull it out if you wanted to anyway.
If you tab the pin and it's missing it's highly recommended you replace it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make the tab urself if you have access to a grinder. I used a fender washer that cost like 9cents. Yes on the main seal behind the harmonic balancer. In my experience you dont need the timing cover gasket, the factory one is rubber and quite durable. I used a little rtv on the install and no leaks.

So, 9 cent fender washer, 36 dollar seal, and a little bit of red lock tite and ur set. IMO dont wast ur money on a "KDP Kit".
Good info. My dad owns a shop (but hate's working on diesels lol) so i've got acess to all the tools in the world. I'll prob make a homemade tab, use some lock tite and a quick tack weld and should be set. Also thinking about grinding my fuel plate while im at the shop, but really dont wanna mess it up. rather have someone who has done it before be there or just buy a new one.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
you won't mess the plate up

I used to grind fender washers to make the tab, these days, I just knurl/stake the case

you don't necessarily have to replace the front seal, but the logic is while you've got it out and apart, you might as well

·
Registered
78 Posts
i did my kdp not to long ago it was a straight forward job i ordered my front seal and cover gasket from frieghtliner and made my tab from a washer

·
Registered
898 Posts
did mine and my dads few weeks ago easy worst part is the seal. take ur time doing that. you can get a paint stiring stick and cut it to shape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts