Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
Haha that doesnt make cummins look bad

Cummins are known for pulling and reliabilty. I want to see them tie up together:headbang:

· Registered
565 Posts
Well the 6.4 taking a 5.9 w/smarty is most definatly something you dont see everyday. Something doesnt smell right.:gh:

· Registered
1,478 Posts
So an evenly matched v-8 takes an I-6. What a shocker. Put 15k behind them and see who's eating who's lunch. Better yet lets compare apples with apples and do 6.4 vs 6.7. Wait until that guy has to have his cab pulled to have the fuel pump or any number of things changed on his truck. He'll wish he had a Dodge.

· Registered
2,565 Posts
The 5.9 starts out with less base power than the 6.4, add a 275 tune to the 6.4 and a 170 (smarty on 9 I think) on the 5.9.... sorta seems like the results should be expected.

I didn't notice if there were any additional modifications to the 5.9.

· Registered
2,622 Posts
You guys don't have to be so defensive about our beloved Cummins...

6.4's have a very programmable ECM, a decent auto trans and twin spinners(albeit on the small side)... they're quick stock and they're really quick with a tune. Spartan has a 275hp tune and claim the highest(6.4) fuel only dyno at 567rwhp with only tuning, intake and deletes... that's pretty strong.

There is a 'dodge' view but there is no way it's the same race.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABR7g3uWTwg&feature=related

· Registered
23 Posts
This really shows nothing. Fords and chevys have almost always been faster due to the size and weight of the trucks and the size and weight of the motors. Just compare the con-rods of a ford/chevy to a cummins dodge. It is no wonder that a ford or chevy will out run a dodge, empty, in the 1/4 mile. The motors are really lightweight compared to a cummins and will accelerate much faster. But who cares, we own cummins diesels. It all looks different with 15,000lbs of trailer behind you. Banks is building a race truck on a duramax because they are lightweight enough to spin to 5000 rpm and therefore reduce the Torque/HP ratio from 2:1 to 1.5:1 or lower. Just because a newer, bigger(displacement not weight) motor will outrace a heavier truck, older/smallermotor is not a reason to feel bad or inadequate. Just remember this simple equation, V8=car I6=SEMI:headbang:

· Registered
406 Posts
If you haven't ridden in a 6.4 with that tune and deletes you will be impressed.

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
did all you guys watch the full vid the first race the dodge didnt even race the second one really wasnt that bad and he passed on the end, but dont have sound so not sure if the ford let off or not.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
All these videos prove are the Dodge's have more traction, in that situation. There are plenty of videos of Chevy's and Fords pulling Dodge's too. Proves absolutely nothing. :banghead::doh:

So basically, people are surprised that a truck with a bigger, newer, and lighter engine, with a better tune outran an older, heavier truck with an inferior tune?

· Registered
406 Posts
This really shows nothing. Fords and chevys have almost always been faster due to the size and weight of the trucks and the size and weight of the motors. Just compare the con-rods of a ford/chevy to a cummins dodge. It is no wonder that a ford or chevy will out run a dodge, empty, in the 1/4 mile. The motors are really lightweight compared to a cummins and will accelerate much faster. But who cares, we own cummins diesels. It all looks different with 15,000lbs of trailer behind you. Banks is building a race truck on a duramax because they are lightweight enough to spin to 5000 rpm and therefore reduce the Torque/HP ratio from 2:1 to 1.5:1 or lower. Just because a newer, bigger(displacement not weight) motor will outrace a heavier truck, older/smallermotor is not a reason to feel bad or inadequate. Just remember this simple equation, V8=car I6=SEMI:headbang:
Absolutely, Was it snappy? Yes, but did it possess that unconquerable earth moving torque? No, and it also felt like it could not sustain that kind of abuse for very long at all. It was that stupid, scary kind of power.

· Registered
1,478 Posts
If you're hooking the guy who is attached even an inch higher has the advantage from what I've seen. I hate watching it no matter who wins. I would feel like a real moron if I blew a tranny in a tug of war unless I had a Goerend at home waiting to be put in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.