Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
Udderly amazing, the info you find online.:wink2:

Lesson learned at Employers expense on some Caterpillar engines and running ULSD, that should be using something.
Been using Howes and TC-W3 two stroke since buying truck in 05, with no issues.
Once in awhile PS products, when Howes was unavailable. Good to know other products available if needed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have been using Hot Shot the Every Day formula, very happy.

Reactions: chelan41

·
Registered
93 Posts
I occasionally use the two-stroke and automatic transmission formula that somebody posted on this forum. I usually only use it when towing something heavy for long distances and it seems quiet the injectors.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Always one oz per gallon of fuel a mix of 1:2 power service:2 stroke oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Power Service or Ultilube in every tank after losing several injectors following the conversion to USLD. Fortunately for me, the warranty covered several injector replacements. At the time, I was running a stock fuel filter and also started using a diesel additive after the first couple injector failures. Unfortunately for me, the OEM replacement remans also began failing within 10-30,000 mikes. When I was out of warranty, I put in a brand new set of Bosch injectors at my expense. I also became more diligent at running an additive in every tank. I also added a a FASS system in hopes that my injectors would last longer with better filtration. So far so good. No injector problems with this setup. FYI - the warranty coverage for all the OEM injectors that failed was somewhere between $8,000 and $10,000. It also gets pretty darn cold here, well below zero during bad winters. I figure running an additive is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Nothing in my tank but diesel fuel, period.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Optilube xpd. Also around a lot of equipment at work that was made pre ULSD and we use it in them too. Is it snake oil? I don’t think so lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I have always used Howes and never gelled any of my diesels, but after seeing the friction test, I am a bit leery. It almost seems as if it breaks down the ULSD's lube.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
2 gallons of nitromethane in a full tank . That's a +-5% mix .
65$ a gallon but worth it .
Raises the Ceatane a good bit .
Super easy cold weather starts as nitro happens to carry its own O2.

nitromethane is a bit " dry" so I add a dash of Wally World 2stroke oil just to be safe .
Warning , disconnect the grids .

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I added a quart of Howes six months ago haven't had to fill up since.

Then again I haven't driven it either.

·
Registered
14,262 Posts
had a cummins now for 5 years and even in -20f never had a gelling issue.
That could probably work for me, too, if buying all fuel locally.
It's when filling up somewhere where they only use #2, then going home to -20, that it can get problematic.

Okay, it has only happened to me once. Learned my lesson and started running Howes.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I find this very interesting and helpful.
Being I live in Vegas but spend a lot of time in the mountains of Utah during the winter.
I have seen as low as -20F at the cabin but I’ve never had a gelling issue while using the white bottle of PS.
My main reason for using it is because I end up on the mtn with 1/2 tank of Vegas fuel which I don’t think gets “winterized” much of at all.
I keep a bottle of 911 in the garage up there too but haven’t ever had to use it on my truck.
Good thing I guess since it doesn’t do much anyway for gelling issues apparently?
Guess I’ll seek out some hot shot for my desert rat truck “winter” fuel setup.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The real snake oil here is ULSD.

I use TCW3 and ATF fluid pretty regularly, especially when towing in the mountains. When I don't use that, I add some Opti-Lube. Not a fan of govt-mandated ULSD, so these additives to me are cheap insurance against very expensive diesel engine repairs. In the hot desert summer months where I live, if the truck will not be driven much for a bit between camping trips, I add some Biocide.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts