Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has about 4k miles since last oil change and for the last couple weeks I can smell a strong oil odor. If the windows are down I can smell it if I'm stopped at a light and of course I can smell it outside the truck also. Oil level is in the middle of the "safe zone" on dipstick, and I have checked it a couple times with the motor cold and each time its the same (hasn't risen). It didn't smell like this until just recently so I'm not sure what the issue is. My oil pressure is good and always has been. Truck runs great and I haven't noticed any change in how it drives just the smell. I know the CCV filter is inside the valve cover and according to cummins you have change out the entire cover just to replace the filter. Any chance that will solve the smell?

Oh, I'm using amsoil 15w-40 marine grade diesel oil with high zinc content.

:confused013:

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sitting here thinking the only thing I've changed in the last couple months is I don't DD it anymore. The truck sits during the week and is only driven 1day a week or less. Sometimes only 3 times per month. When I do drive it I make sure the trip is long enough to get engine up to operating temp before I come back home and shut her down. Any chance that has anything to do with the smell?

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know where the tube is, I thought on some trucks smoke can come out of that tube. I really hope it isn't blow by, I've only got 112k miles on it.

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well let me clarify, mine just has a strong oil smell. I guess not so much "burnt" so to speak.

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It could be a coincidence, but as I stated earlier I didn't notice the smell until I quit DD'ing the truck. Before that it didn't smell.

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can't see it in the video but the truck is smoking a little from the oil fill hole. As you can see the cap does not blow off, the reason its sliding backwards is because the truck isn't sitting level, its a little down hill.

0416131845 - YouTube

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The part that worried me last night was the little bit of smoke coming out when I removed the oil cap. If you watch my video, you can't see the smoke and it also doesn't blow off the cap when turned upside down. So I guess I'm good?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts