Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has about 4k miles since last oil change and for the last couple weeks I can smell a strong oil odor. If the windows are down I can smell it if I'm stopped at a light and of course I can smell it outside the truck also. Oil level is in the middle of the "safe zone" on dipstick, and I have checked it a couple times with the motor cold and each time its the same (hasn't risen). It didn't smell like this until just recently so I'm not sure what the issue is. My oil pressure is good and always has been. Truck runs great and I haven't noticed any change in how it drives just the smell. I know the CCV filter is inside the valve cover and according to cummins you have change out the entire cover just to replace the filter. Any chance that will solve the smell?

Oh, I'm using amsoil 15w-40 marine grade diesel oil with high zinc content.

:confused013:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Subscirbed...My buddy's 04 has a pretty bad smell to it also...he uses Royal Purple. He is suspecting blow-by, but not sure.

I use synthetic castrol 5/40 in winter then switch to regular 15/40 in summer...mine dosnt smell at all

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sitting here thinking the only thing I've changed in the last couple months is I don't DD it anymore. The truck sits during the week and is only driven 1day a week or less. Sometimes only 3 times per month. When I do drive it I make sure the trip is long enough to get engine up to operating temp before I come back home and shut her down. Any chance that has anything to do with the smell?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
not sure man... like i said, my buddy seems to think its blow-by... Do you know where the blow-by tube is??? its right arround the fuel filter canister area. Tape a garden hose to it, or something to extend that hose out from under your truck...start-er up and smell the air comming out of the hose to determine if its that same smell...

·
Registered
462 Posts
What kind of smell? I've never heard of amsoil or royal purple smelling. I have run rotella and that has always had a sulphur smell. I've also had bad gear oil start to smell I would check there for a leak. It's not likely but possible.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wouldn't think that's a specific oil issue but a leak some where. Have you checked by your filter for a leak or your oil feed and return lines to your turbo.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mine does that also.
Started to notice it while using royal purple switched back to Valvoline blue both oils have a "hot" oil smell to them.
Truck has no leaks and no blowby. Oil analysis has always come back good as far as the condition of the oil.
I hate to say it's "normal" but for my truck it appears to be?

·
Registered
211 Posts
prob has some blow by my last truck i had ,had blow by and the same smell minmal blow by but still had that hot oil smell .... try going to amsoil synthetic my stinks for 1000km then is fine for the next 9000km... also could try to route the crank case vent farther back on the truck. i have also heard of guys routing them into the exhuast... i also had a oily smell and it ended up being my output seal leaking and stinking the truck up

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I run the 5W-40 diesel oil (DEO) now, don't notice any smell at all. I'm switching to the same oil (AME?) soon so I'll report back here when I switch to see.

All of my vehicles use AMSoil and I've never had that happen! Curious

·
Registered
211 Posts
could be.. watch for oil usage if you are really worried about blow by problems

·
Registered
13 Posts
My new to me last year low mileage 03 was filled at the selling dealer with Quakerstate that stunk real bad, after about 2000 miles I changed over to Valvoline dino and in 5000 miles since no smell at all.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oil smell from the slobber tube is normal. Some oils smell worse than others but all cummins diesels have minimal blow by even when new.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts