Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the price of fuel a 3 - 5 % increase in fuel milage would easily pay for better oil.

Will switching from 15w40 dino to 15w40 syn give you any mpg gain?

I would think you would see the most gain going to a 5w40 syn.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I run 5w40 rotella and honestly I dunno if I gained any mpgs from hmm....I run synthetic cause I get better cold starts out of it.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I got better fuel mileage when I went from 15w40 to 5w40 and again when I switched from 5w40 to Amsoil 5w30 HDD oil. When it was all said and done all I saw about 1.1 mpg improvement in fuel mileage.

·
Registered
365 Posts
no.

how often do you change your oil.

if you change your cost per mile from 20cents to 19.4 cents as you claim a 3% improvement could be expected, then over the 5000 mile recomended change.
is 30 dollars, which last time i checked doesnt pay for amsoil. or any other synthetic. if you were to let off the go pedal slightly, every so slightly more often and let it idle that much less, then you will save more.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Get Chuck aka deluth diesel in here, he could tell you everything about it, i'm on my way to being able to do that. Personally if i were you and i was going to run synthetics, i wouldn't go on the cheaper end, i would go with amsoil or royal purple.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I run shaeffer's supreme 9000 5w-40 and I think it gained me .5 to .8 mpg. I watch that sort of thing really close. Dropping to 66 mph gained me about the same also. Still not a helluva lot brag about on this truck for mpg.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Milage

I Do Know This For A Fact,i Had A 98 24v Quad I Was Getting 14 Mpg Pulling 7000lbs Changed To A K&n Filter And Got To 18.5 Pulling The Identical Load As Before.i Think There Are Even Some Better Filters Out There And Mabe Intakes Too. EMPTY I HAD NO INCREASE IN MILAGE GO FIGURE.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I Do Know This For A Fact,i Had A 98 24v Quad I Was Getting 14 Mpg Pulling 7000lbs Changed To A K&n Filter And Got To 18.5 Pulling The Identical Load As Before.i Think There Are Even Some Better Filters Out There And Mabe Intakes Too. EMPTY I HAD NO INCREASE IN MILAGE GO FIGURE.
i'd check into the amsoil filter if you want too look for something better.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
The gov has tested the 5-40 to the hilt. Same same it will gain 1 1/2% fuel economy over 15-40. The additive package has as much to do with additional mpg improvement as the base stock.

·
Banned
722 Posts
I havent seen crap with my fluid. But i tow heavy all day every day so really u cant expect to much results with that. Maybe empty but who knows

·
Registered
193 Posts
i have syn in the trans as well, all i have left is the diff. And no matter what, flooring it or easy on the pedal, with and without max mileage i always get 16.7mpgs.

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
My last 2 tanks of fuel have netted me over 19mpg and over 600miles on the tank of fuel!!! I run 16oz of 2 stroke oil per fill up. Usually 31-32 gallons. My driving is usually about 50/50 towing /empty around suburbia!!! My mods are in my signature!!! I'm running a TP oil bypass filter and haven't "changed" my oil in almost 40,000miles!!!! All I do is change the TP and add the appropriate "make up" oil!!!! Almost 2 years and 40k with stellar oil analyses!!!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup Works for me!!! But probably not the "OIL" salesmen the frequent these sites!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts