Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the HBS 2" level kit and aligned the truck tonight. All seems well but I've only driven below 45 mph so far. My question is can I get death wobble driving down the city streets or does it mainly happen at highwway speeds?

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I used to have this problem. I had it BAD though. Even a little bump would put me all across the roads at speeds less than 40mph. On the highway it could have been fatal.

Check tie rods first, no matter what. Next is ball joints, and the track bar. I replaced little things here and there then said screw it and replaced everything up front. Sure, it was costly but I haven't had the death wobble in over 25,000 miles.

Reactions: RICK0718

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to have this problem. I had it BAD though. Even a little bump would put me all across the roads at speeds less than 40mph. On the highway it could have been fatal.

Check tie rods first, no matter what. Next is ball joints, and the track bar. I replaced little things here and there then said screw it and replaced everything up front. Sure, it was costly but I haven't had the death wobble in over 25,000 miles.
I replaced the left side ball joints and axle joints about 7000 miles ago. I replaced the right side ball joints and tie rods ends last night when I put in the leveling kit. We checked the track bar bushings and everything else at the same time and aligned everything back up.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Just to double check get under the truck while a buddy turns the wheel side to side. Check for any play at all. My track bar will bend just a little bit, but not much. Just make sure everything seems nice and tight and hopefully you are good to go!

· Registered
12,271 Posts
Mine [email protected] 60 mph on the freeway. The infamous expansion joints on our freeway set it off. '09 steering,rebalance,alignment and Carli's highmount ss along with Mopar's stocker ss seems to have it under control. I already had the steering gear brace.

· Registered
254 Posts
Danderson Does the carli highmount steering damper work with the MOPAR 09 steering up-grade? Is that what you have?

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to double check get under the truck while a buddy turns the wheel side to side. Check for any play at all. My track bar will bend just a little bit, but not much. Just make sure everything seems nice and tight and hopefully you are good to go!
We did all of that. My brother in law is a mechanic at a frame and alignment shop so we did it there. He has done quite a few of them and told me mine looked a lot closer in tolerance then some he has done. Didn't think I should have a problem.

· Registered
228 Posts
i recently installed a HBS 2.5 leveling kit and was concerned about the death wobble as well.i ended up putting new toyos under it at the same time.i took it through all ranges of speed and steering and no issues.i had it going 162km/hour and it drove straight with ne wobble.i did however notice that the toyos would have a loose feel to them if i quickly turned the wheel left to right but just very minor. i assume the deep new tire and the weight of the truck allows the tire to flex a bit.my ltx's didnt do it but they were half worn.all this was before i aligned it.i guess make sure the front end is tight.good luck

· Registered
12,271 Posts
Danderson Does the carli highmount steering damper work with the MOPAR 09 steering up-grade? Is that what you have?
Yes,make sure you mention it to Jesse. He'll include a larger diameter billet clamp. Actually,a single Fox or Bilstein in the stock location has more dampening power. I already had the highmount and got the stocker free from my mechanic.

· Banned
197 Posts
o i just love my death wobble... it is very sneaky and onlys seems to happen when it wants to! it will start at 40mph as i'm speeding up. sometimes if i floor it and get up to 55ish it will stop.. otherwise i have found if u swerve back and forth real quick it will stop it, i am going to get a steering box brace, i'm hoping this will help. i have a rancho steering stabilizer also, which is beefier than the stock. and the track bar has a drop down bracket...

· Registered
2,137 Posts
i had to replace a worn tierod end ( passenger side ) & while i was under there i maxed out the castor. So far so good, plus the added castor helps the front end recover much quicker while going over a series of bumps eyc. The cause of DW is usually do to worn front end parts, & the in-ability of the suspension to recover from rapid compression of the shocks/springs. When you add a leveling kit you automatically are "removing" the positive castor the CTD`s should have from factory, do to the change in geometry that happens when installing a leveling kit. If you haven`t done so, i would max out the castor, makes a world of differance & it doesn`t have any affect on your alignment. BTW max positive castor is when you push the wheels as far foward as you can.

· Banned
197 Posts
i would max out the castor, makes a world of differance & it doesn`t have any affect on your alignment. BTW max positive castor is when you push the wheels as far foward as you can.

so basically your saying adjust the cam bolt on the bottom control arms? to restore some caster

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had a chance to drive the truck on the Interstate at speeds of 80 mph and no DW. I also have driven all over town which right now I believe to be the "pot hole" capitol of the U.S. and had no D.W. So I'm thinking I'm good to go. I'm sure new tires, tie rods, and ball joints also help a ton.:party018:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.